The Student Room Group

I think I might have an autistic spectrum disorder...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Also there's no simple tests to confirm ASD.

You may get one doctor saying you dont have it, but BPD, Bipolar or the other common misdiagnosis.

Whereas another will say you have firm AS.

Imo if you can, make sure you go to a specific ASD specilist, rather then entering some of the mental health places.
do you understand metaphors? like when someone says 'I'm feeling under the weather'
Reply 22
Original post by Guy Secretan
do you understand metaphors? like when someone says 'I'm feeling under the weather'

Well, I do now because people have explained them to me.
Original post by lovely_me
Why do all these slack jawed morons insist on visiting the TSR 'hospital' to try and diagnose their disorders, which, let's be honest are more likely to be wishful thinking because they're a socially inept and want an excuse for it.

If you want a proper diagnosis, visit a doctor if you so wish.

Cold, I like you.
Original post by Anonymous
Well, I do now because people have explained them to me.

no but did you before like if you haven't heard one before, if someone said it's raining cats and dogs would you be like :s-smilie:
Reply 25
Original post by Guy Secretan
no but did you before like if you haven't heard one before, if someone said it's raining cats and dogs would you be like :s-smilie:

That did confuse me for ages, but to be fair I was four when I heard it.

I suppose a more recent one would be too many cooks spoiling broth ... because we weren't making broth, it wasn't even food. That got me.
That did confuse me for ages, but to be fair I was four when I heard it.

I suppose a more recent one would be too many cooks spoiling broth ... because we weren't making broth, it wasn't even food. That got me.

why don't you try and get formally diagnosed then
?
Why is that, may I ask?

I hate to say it, but girls and boys do express themselves in different ways (not that it's inherent). Girls tend to be a bit quieter and more sedate (see how we've been conditioned! another time, another place and i wouldn't get to school on time...) and quiet children, as long as they're not self destructive etc, don't get checked out as much as hyperactive loud children, usually boys. Children aren't always referred for an Aspergers diagnosis, it can just be that they're disruptive and the teacher thinks they could have 'something'. Many teachers don't know much about AS and especially not how to recognise the symptoms. Girls can also express their emotions well, perhaps more articulately, so although they might not respond to the help received as well, they still can ask for it and that's not v. AS. Girls tend to be more caring and will help a friend who's a bit weird (well, in theory), so if someone has lots of friends surrounding them, they could appear as popular as anyone else. Girls are quicker at picking up 'learned behaviours'.
Reply 28
Autism and Asperger's are syndromes, which means they are a collection of symptoms/traits. Many people will have some traits of autism, but it is only when one person has enough to meet the diagnostic criteria that it can be diagnosed.

Taking things literally and misunderstanding metaphors are something that people with ASD normally have difficulty with, but very few people cannot understand them at all.
Why is that, may I ask?
I know several people with Autism/Aspergers and you seem to share enough traits (in particular obsessive behaviour, poor social skills and a monotone style of speaking) that I would think you were probably somewhere on the autistic spectrum if I met you. However all of the people I know who are autistic are also male, I really wouldn't have much of a frame of reference for what a female autistic person is like. Hence autism wouldn't immediately spring to mind if I met a female with those same traits.

Should probably point out that this isn't evidence that you actually are autistic, I'm no doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending