The Student Room Group

Dropping out after the first term??

Long story short, I didn't get the grades I wanted (one mark off, and re-mark didn't alter it) so I ended up at my insurance uni, without any accommodation. I'm living in a house a few miles away from uni with 3 other students. My course is great but I hate the fact that I've missed out on the halls experience, which seems amazing. To make it even worse, my housemates want to stay in this house next year and I don't, and all of my course friends want to just live somewhere with their flatmates. I just feel really isolated and that I should have deferred when I found out I didn't have campus accommodation.
So, if I dropped out after christmas, what would my options be? What would be the situation with student finance? Would my uni be prepared for me to start again next year? Could I still apply for other unis? I want a clear idea of what things would be like before I can properly weigh up my options.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Um, don't ask us, mate. Ask your uni.
Original post by Sabriella
Um, don't ask us, mate. Ask your uni.

I'm going to email my tutor later today, but I doubt he'd reply to me at 1:30am. TSR on the other hand...
You know, there's no garauntee that living in halls will be amazing. Some people love it, others hate it. Most people I know couldn't wait to get their own private house in 2nd year.

If you're enjoying your course it seems quite foolish and naive to drop out just because you didn't get to experience halls.

While I appreciate that having the social experience is important too, university is primarily about the education. A lot of people seem to forget that.
Original post by JohnnytheFox
You know, there's no garauntee that living in halls will be amazing. Some people love it, others hate it. Most people I know couldn't wait to get their own private house in 2nd year.

If you're enjoying your course it seems quite foolish and naive to drop out just because you didn't get to experience halls.

While I appreciate that having the social experience is important too, university is primarily about the education. A lot of people seem to forget that.

I guess it's not so much about 'halls'.
Firstly it's about living on campus which would make my life about 100 times easier, which I could have had for 1/3 of my time at uni. The other thing is that feeling of people close friends with one set group of people. Everyone I know in halls is really close with their flatmates. Of course education is more important but it's hard to focus when I'm feeling this unhappy, and it's hard just getting to campus for lectures.
I wouldn't say it's wise to drop out for the reasons you've stated, although I can understand you're not in the best situation :frown:

I expect quite a few people have already told you this, but I'm not sure one term is really giving it enough of a chance. I doubt you'll be miserable for the next three years if you stay.

As your questions illustrate, there may well be a fair bit of time, effort and expense involved in dropping out. Maybe you should try to accept that although you didn't get into your firm and accommodation isn't great, this is where you need to be. If it were me I'd try not to agonise over the choices I'd made to get to this point, and just try to make the best of where I am :smile:
Surely someone you know can get a house with an extra room, I know I prefer my house this year to halls last year! And I had no one to live with, ended up living with someone I knew a bit from Uni but not well, and it's all worked out fine.
Original post by alharrison4
I wouldn't say it's wise to drop out for the reasons you've stated, although I can understand you're not in the best situation :frown:

I expect quite a few people have already told you this, but I'm not sure one term is really giving it enough of a chance. I doubt you'll be miserable for the next three years if you stay.

As your questions illustrate, there may well be a fair bit of time, effort and expense involved in dropping out. Maybe you should try to accept that although you didn't get into your firm and accommodation isn't great, this is where you need to be. If it were me I'd try not to agonise over the choices I'd made to get to this point, and just try to make the best of where I am :smile:

I'm just so full of regret :frown:
If I'd just worked a bit harder, or put my insurance as my firm, or deferred my entry...I feel like I've made one bad decision after another, and that I don't really belong here.
just sleep in da SU like me
Reply 9
Halls are ****.

You're going through the same thing pre-freshers are, seeing the hyped up "halls experience" and thinking it must be life-changingly awesome. NO. Some people enjoy it, some people don't, but one thing that always holds true is that its awesomeness is HIGHLY exaggerated. Cannot wait to move out, personally, and my flatmates aren't even bad.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Cicerao
Halls are ****.

Explain??
Original post by missaphrodite
If I'd just worked a bit harder, or put my insurance as my firm, or deferred my entry...I feel like I've made one bad decision after another, and that I don't really belong here.

I know how you feel, im dropping out after xmas due to a bad social situation and dislike of my course. Full of regret over the course ive taken too. Im in halls and they are quite bad, because I dont get on with any of my floor mates, so im hoping to find a better situation in a different uni with a whole fresh start. I dont have any answers to your questions, as im asking the same ones too! Just thought you should knnow youre not alone! :smile: Im gonna wait till after the xmas hols and come back then talk to someone. If you see in my sig, ive applied again for UCAS 11, it's easy enough, so you could do that? And have a whole new application with grades that you know. Might be easier.
Reply 12
Explain??

Have added to my previous post. :3

I know what you mean. I've had similar thoughts myself... I was choosing between two unis to put as my first and I often wonder how things in my life would be if I'd chosen the other option, or done xyz. But you really can't think like that, it doesn't help and leaves you feeling down, as you've already discovered :frown:
Just really try and make the best of it. The fact is, you don't know how things would have been if you'd gone to your firm; you could be in a different even worse situation. There's little point in dwelling on it now, I'm afraid :frown:
Original post by impossible!
I know how you feel, im dropping out after xmas due to a bad social situation and dislike of my course. Full of regret over the course ive taken too. Im in halls and they are quite bad, because I dont get on with any of my floor mates, so im hoping to find a better situation in a different uni with a whole fresh start. I dont have any answers to your questions, as im asking the same ones too! Just thought you should knnow youre not alone! :smile: Im gonna wait till after the xmas hols and come back then talk to someone. If you see in my sig, ive applied again for UCAS 11, it's easy enough, so you could do that? And have a whole new application with grades that you know. Might be easier.

It's definitely something I'm considering, however a lot of universities have upped their grades this year and I'm worried I won't be able to find anywhere I want to go :frown:
Reply 15
Halls aren't that great to be honest, I wouldn't drop out of university because of this, would you want to throw this chance away over accommodation really?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Linweth
Halls aren't that great to be honest, I wouldn't drop out of university because of this, would you want to throw this chance away over accommodation really?

Liverpool eh? Which halls are you in?:smile:
Seems like you are just giving up for no reason? If you give up that easy then why bother going back next year, it's not going to be any better. Your half way through the year now might aswell finish it.
It's definitely something I'm considering, however a lot of universities have upped their grades this year and I'm worried I won't be able to find anywhere I want to go :frown:

Just looked at your profile, and you study at Warwick! You must have the grades to get into plenty of decent unis surely?
Tbh even though there are mixed opinions on halls - it's just a whole part of the university experience where you could potentially meet some of your best friends. Even if it is sh*t for whatever reason - at least you'd have had that experience - and if its that bad im sure its not too difficult to switch halls or just live at home/private apartment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending