The Student Room Group

I'm a young female starting Royal Mail Xmas Temp job on Saturday. Nervous!!!

I just don't know what to expect. Everyone at the registration was mostly male and/or spoke a different language and older than me.
I don't know if I'll be able to handle it! I also heard it is mind-numbingly boring! Is this true?
Please help me if you've done this kind of work before and settle my nerves!
I've worked in a mail office ad yes it is boring maybe they might let you bring an mp3 if you want. The other colleagues prob won't care about you or be that interested if it is just a temp job
Original post by katielou1988
Everyone at the registration was mostly male and/or spoke a different language and older than me.

oh shi-

i start the same job on monday. i'm sure it will be dull, but i have little fear for the integrity of my anus. calm down luv.
Yup.

It is the most boring job known to man.

You stand there for hours on end, sorting parcels into sacks. Everyone is a part time member of staff, most of them are foreign, so hardly anyone talks to each other. Because so many vans are coming and going, the shutters are always open, making the warehouse (or "sorting office") incredibly cold.

It's a lot like how I'd imagine a sweat shop in some third world country to be run. But unlike a sweatshop, you get paid a pretty good hourly rate and you can take comfort in the knowledge that it'll all be over in a couple of weeks.

Ps. It's been about 8 years since I worked as an Xmas temp for Royal Mail, so things might have changed since then.
Reply 4
I just don't know what to expect. Everyone at the registration was mostly male and/or spoke a different language and older than me.
I don't know if I'll be able to handle it! I also heard it is mind-numbingly boring! Is this true?

it's okay, u wont get bumed. Just listen to ur mp3 player.
Reply 5

How was it? I start tomorrow and am a bit apprehensive!
Reply 6
start today am 19years old, do not know anyone there
Reply 7
How old do you have to be to work in the post office? Because if it's 16, there might be some people younger than you and that could be reassuring :smile:
Have to be 18 for night shifts.

Had my first shift today and it was indeed extremely dull. Didn't get raped though, which is a bonus.
Reply 9
Original post by HumorousGent.
Have to be 18 for night shifts.

Had my first shift today and it was indeed extremely dull. Didn't get raped though, which is a bonus.

And for day shifts/weekends? And not getting raped - that's always a bonus.
Original post by gemnomnom
And for day shifts/weekends?

I assume they have under 18s, but have no idea how many - the shifts might be too awkward for most students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending