The Student Room Group

I am American..

Scroll to see replies

Of course you're proud, you were brainwashed every morning in school by making a pledge to a flag.
Reply 261
Cute.

But wrong again, because on TV the parents were always forgetting their kids at home. These kids would then be attacked by paedo robbers.

I don't know about your childhood, but mine was certainly better than that.

You aiming for some kind of fail record?
Original post by Cassandra_Z

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind going over to America on holiday or something but to live there? No way.

So many reasons really, I just generally detest the culture. I dislike the obsessive patriotism that just causes trouble, Americans just can't seem to be able to back down.

There's actually way too many to list, someone made a list earlier and that only covers a fraction.

And besides, when your teenagers learn to stop insulting anyone they hear with a British accent and mentioning the war of independence/tea drinking/yellow teeth, then I might just give you guys a shot at not hating you. But I don't see that happening, it seems to deeply rooted.
Reply 263
Roughly 100 years. You're nitpicking to not have to actually come up with arguments and its very easy to see through. How about you mind your own business?

P.S. Nato didn't start the war in Afghanistan, that aside I've never mentioned the war in Afghanistan as I feel it can be justified, unlike its Iraki contemporary.

When have I said I hate America? If you can quote me on that I'll get a tattoo with your username. However, if you can't, then you have to accept you've failed again.
Reply 264
I didn't realize how much people from different countries absolutely hate and resent the country that I absolutely love until I came across a post in this student website.

I know I am going to get bashed for this post, but I am already aware of that and am fine with that fact since I just want to understand other countries views.

I am American and I do know that our country isn't the best, but I am still proud to be born and raised here. For all of those who dislike me just because I am one, all I have to say is that you should really travel to see our country, to meet people here our different communities and backgrounds, and just to get to know more us instead of bashing us head on. I apologize for my rambling on, but if you were in my position what would you think? say? or even do?

I want to know what you dislike about my country and why? Please don't be too harsh, I am not trying to insult or piss off anyone. I am merely asking the question to understand peoples views and hear different opinions.

Most people think America is ok. I like the people, but people take up opposition to some USFP.
Reply 265
Original post by Shadowplay
Of course you're proud, you were brainwashed every morning in school by making a pledge to a flag.

Hmm.. I cannot deny that. :/ I wouldn't say I was brainwashed, but it definitely can contribute to such patriotism.
I know. :/ That's one of the big points of what I don't like about the country I live in, everyone our age is too focused on petty things.

One of the few things i like about your country is Alaska.

I hear they pay you $1000-$2000 a year if your a citizen planning to stay there indefinitely. :eek:
Reply 267
Original post by MasterJomi
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind going over to America on holiday or something but to live there? No way.

So many reasons really, I just generally detest the culture. I dislike the obsessive patriotism that just causes trouble, Americans just can't seem to be able to back down.

There's actually way too many to list, someone made a list earlier and that only covers a fraction.

And besides, when your teenagers learn to stop insulting anyone they hear with a British accent and mentioning the war of independence/tea drinking/yellow teeth, then I might just give you guys a shot at not hating you. But I don't see that happening, it seems to deeply rooted.

Hmm, If I could I would give everyone that disliked our culture here a tour of my favorite parts of the U.S. I can't say that all aspects of the culture here is something to be proud of, but there are still the few things here that make all the negative aspects be forgotten.

Also, I cannot say anything for our teenagers, since I myself have issues with how most of them have a lack of manners and respect.
Reply 268
Original post by 'James Hunt'
One of the few things i like about your country is Alaska.

I hear they pay you $1000-$2000 a year if your a citizen planning to stay there indefinitely. :eek:

Lol, I heard that last year everyone recieved $1,300. I wasn't able to recieve that money since I am currently working on getting resident tuition in the state of Arizona. The last time I recieved a state dividend check it was for around $3,000. Helped me pay for a little bit of my education. ^_^
I'm well aware of British involvement in the Iraq war, and for that, I find those involved deplorable. However, the United States of America was the architect of that war and that is undeniable. The UK (as well as other nations) went along with it on the principal of going along with an ally.
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
I'm well aware of British involvement in the Iraq war, and for that, I find those involved deplorable. However, the United States of America was the architect of that war and that is undeniable. The UK (as well as other nations) went along with it on the principal of going along with an ally.

The UK were the one's who "sexed up" the Iraq dossier over the 45 minute bomb which the US then proposed to the UN that UK intelligence tells us that Iraq is capable of launchin WMD's in 45 minutes. So the UK hardly played along.
I think you mean Stephen Hawking, not 'Hawkins'
Original post by 'James Hunt'
The UK were the one's who "sexed up" the Iraq dossier over the 45 minute bomb which the US then proposed to the UN that UK intelligence tells us that Iraq is capable of launchin WMD's in 45 minutes. So the UK hardly played along.

And why do you think it was "sexed up" in the first place?

Once again, I agree with you. The UK's involvement in the Iraq war is absolutely unforgivable, and should be held directly responsible for its involvement. However, did we instigate the war? Were we the architects of the war? Were we the main military force there? Would we have invaded Iraq if the United States hadn't?

Hell. No.
No. Was my statement offensive? I would never become a politician. I don't have the characteristics to be one. (Please note I am not trying to be offensive. Just answering your question.)

nah, chill haha. It was a joke because you just seem like you are trying very very hard to not offend anyone. Your response was a perfect example of that.
Hmmm, If I could I would give everyone that disliked our culture here a tour of my favorite parts of the U.S. I can't say that all aspects of the culture here is something to be proud of, but there are still the few things here that make all the negative aspects be forgotten.

Well, I've been to New York. It was okay, as a holiday. Very similar to London. I'm sure there are nice aspects of the culture, but as an outside viewer the pure blind patriotism overshadows everything else. Come on, school children having to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Wow.

Also, I cannot say anything for our teenagers, since I myself have issues with how most of them have a lack of manners and respect.

From what I've noticed, american kids/teenagers are generally ridiculously ignorant. This is only from the 2 weeks of Holiday there and the year and a half of owning an Xbox.

Literally two days after landing in New York some guy no older than 18/19 asked me if I was from London - Paris... Seriously? I know there are ignorant teenagers all over the world but seriously?

But the most common, and probably most annoying is the 'We saved your ass in WW2'. Oh please. You sped the victory. And most likely no, we wouldn't be speaking German if you didn't step in.

Apologies if this seems like a personal attack to you. It isn't. This is probably the only thread I can vent myself from Americans.
Reply 275
Well, I've been to New York. It was okay, as a holiday. Very similar to London. I'm sure there are nice aspects of the culture, but as an outside viewer the pure blind patriotism overshadows everything else. Come on, school children having to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Wow.

From what I've noticed, american kids/teenagers are generally ridiculously ignorant. This is only from the 2 weeks of Holiday there and the year and a half of owning an Xbox.

Literally two days after landing in New York some guy no older than 18/19 asked me if I was from London - Paris... Seriously? I know there are ignorant teenagers all over the world but seriously?

But the most common, and probably most annoying is the 'We saved your ass in WW2'. Oh please. You sped the victory. And most likely no, we wouldn't be speaking German if you didn't step in.

Apologies if this seems like a personal attack to you. It isn't. This is probably the only thread I can vent myself from Americans.

Go ahead, vent away. Just remember there are ignorant people in all countries. Generalizing and entire country by a few idiotic New Yorkers isn't the best way to go.
Reply 276
Original post by Allie-23
nah, chill haha. It was a joke because you just seem like you are trying very very hard to not offend anyone. Your response was a perfect example of that.

It is because of that. I've learned in the past that trying to argue with people will not do me any good and have also been told in the past that I am a rude and b*tchy. :\ Ick now I feel horrible since I took it the wrong way. By the way politicians dont care for manners anyhow. 0_0
Reply 277

I am sure you already know that I agree with the post above by Texan88. Like I have told others before, not everyone is like that here. However, I do agree that it was quite stupid what the Americans you have came across have said, but I believe you should try traveling to different areas of the U.S. No worries. Everyone has the right to their opinions. ^_^
Reply 278

The irony of deriding a country's people as 'ridiculously ignorant' having spent only two weeks in one of said country's cities :rolleyes:
Original post by Ebbson
The irony of deriding a country's people as 'ridiculously ignorant' having spent only two weeks in one of said country's cities :rolleyes:

You've got a good a point, however, you're aware surely that most people in the UK born after 1980 have lived their whole lives as consumers of American media, from Films and TV Shows to Computer games and news.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending