The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever got into Oxford when they reapplied and took a gap year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bmt
Whoever negged me for writing a sarcastic response to this infuriatingly stupid thread needs to get a grip.

I didn't, but yeah don't call my thread infuriatingly stupid mate. Its a valid question and I just wanted to know how common it was for people to reapply and get in, a forum like this is the best place to ask. So go read something else if this doesn't interest you.
Reply 41
Original post by Bounce7
I didn't, but yeah don't call my thread infuriatingly stupid mate. Its a valid question and I just wanted to know how common it was for people to reapply and get in, a forum like this is the best place to ask. So go read something else if this doesn't interest you.

I didn't neg you then either; It is a valid question but it has a really obvious answer. Of course some people that get in are reapplicants.
Reply 42
Original post by Bounce7
ahh okay thats good to know!
does the AS which is dropped also had to be an a? because their entry requirements say 3 As and at AS I got 3 A's and 2B's

Hi, tough one to call - I know a few people who weren't even given straight A offers (usually in response to less than straight A's at AS) but they were the exceptions. In general I'm under the impression that they would prefer to see less qualifications at higher grades than more dropping grades, this is however, not true of other uni's - but you do meet their requirements.

A final factor is what type of schooling you've had - if it's either fee-paying or a high academic performer they'll be less likely to acccept missed grades, but otherwise they'll see Bs in a broader range of subjects as a plus (and good grounding).
Reply 43
I'll tell you after January
My boyfriend did and he is there this year as a fresher now :smile: all his friends seem to be gap year students as well, there must be at least 20 of them! I also know loads of people who are reapplying this year too! So yea, loads!
Reply 45
Original post by Athena

There need to be pretty special circumstances for Oxford to accept someone with less than AAA at A level (or better). There is little room for leniency for those who miss their offer, and I think most admissions tutors would be wary of admitting someone post A level who got AAB.

What about those that finished 6th Form ages ago, say 70s, 80s? I heard they accepted people with whatever grades at that time. Would it make any difference for such applicants?
Reply 46
Original post by bmt
I didn't neg you then either; It is a valid question but it has a really obvious answer. Of course some people that get in are reapplicants.

Okay, I just wanted to speak to some people had, and try and grasp if there were lots of them, or only one or something, and also ask about how they used their gap. Here is the best place to ask because its tons of other students.
Reply 47
Original post by Owies
Hi, tough one to call - I know a few people who weren't even given straight A offers (usually in response to less than straight A's at AS) but they were the exceptions. In general I'm under the impression that they would prefer to see less qualifications at higher grades than more dropping grades, this is however, not true of other uni's - but you do meet their requirements.

A final factor is what type of schooling you've had - if it's either fee-paying or a high academic performer they'll be less likely to acccept missed grades, but otherwise they'll see Bs in a broader range of subjects as a plus (and good grounding).

Oh okay, because I mean I know some people who got interviews at cambridge when they had something like aabb at AS just because their predicted grades are three A's. my predicted ones were A*AA, so I just hope it wasn't the subjects I dropped that stopped me getting an interview.
For GCSE I went to a fee paying school, but for AS and A level i'm at a state college, so that may help!
Thank you :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by manthew
I'll tell you after January

haha ahh let me know! Good luck, this year is the toughest year, but go for it! I take it you got an interview!
Reply 49
Original post by Athena

There need to be pretty special circumstances for Oxford to accept someone with less than AAA at A level (or better). There is little room for leniency for those who miss their offer, and I think most admissions tutors would be wary of admitting someone post A level who got AAB.

Ah no, I didn't mean about the AAA, the three subjects I am continueing to A level, I got A's in at AS, and am predicted to achieve A's in them, and probably will if I work hard, I just meant I did two AS levels on top of those which were B's, but I have dropped them. However I should come out with AAA at A level then two extra AS's which are both B's
Reply 50
Original post by littlehobbit
My boyfriend did and he is there this year as a fresher now :smile: all his friends seem to be gap year students as well, there must be at least 20 of them! I also know loads of people who are reapplying this year too! So yea, loads!

ahh thats brilliant :smile: I mean I had some horrible feeling that taking a gap year sort of gives you a bit of a disadvantage in the application process, but I think that may only be if you applied for deferred entry, because they do not want to give out too many places in advance. !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending