The Student Room Group

Which 2 would you pick to study economics at?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by asdfg0987
Why do you say this? I mean do you have any source? I always knew it was just six universities that were targets and Notts isn't one of them.. Not being critical I'm just curious cos I'll probably keep Nottingham as insurance.

Well, I'm not intending currently to go into IB myself, but at the business fair the investment banks were stressing how much they targeted Nottingham. Furthermore, one of my friends (or well, older bro's mates) has just started at one of the big London IBs (starting salary of £38k is nice for some..) and they've taken more new interns from Nottingham than from anywhere but Oxford.
Original post by TheBigCh

Original post by i have no name
so will i be better off staying at keele? then applying to do masters at a targeted uni? or should i go nottingham? providing i get my offer
and no i have applied for a BSC (L100) in UCAS

Keele isn't targeted at all, and your chances of get Front Office is near none. An Msc at Notts would boost your chances greatly. However if you're at Keele I'm assuming you had relatively weak grades. If you don't have minimum ABB regardless of whether you do an Msc at a top firm, you won't get past auto filters.

Original post by TheBigCh
Well, I'm not intending currently to go into IB myself, but at the business fair the investment banks were stressing how much they targeted Nottingham. Furthermore, one of my friends (or well, older bro's mates) has just started at one of the big London IBs (starting salary of £38k is nice for some..) and they've taken more new interns from Nottingham than from anywhere but Oxford.
Every HR recruit from every IB is going to stress how much they value your application, in reality they just want a ton of apps. I also severely doubt Notts had that many interns (assuming we're talking FO). Notts is semi target, they'll get a fair few into IB but not to a point where you'd say 'Notts is a great place if you want to get into IB'
Original post by SPMS
It is banking you are wanting to get into?

Personally I think you are fine at Keele, if you gain a very high 2.1, prefably a first. Then as you say go on to a big brand name with a MSc in a strong subject, finance etc.

More importantly however, you need to make contacts in this type of field. I would put this at the top of your priority list (the more people you know, the better they know you, trust me the better chance you will have), then work experience, then the first and following MSc.

I think having Nottingham on your CV instead of Keele is not a huge issue, yes if you wern't going to do a masters and you ended up with the same classification it would be better for this field, but even so you would struggle still. If you were going to do a masters after your Nottingham degree then, I still think then you will be in a very similar postion as you would be if you followed this path.

I hope I helped :smile:

yes you helped very well :smile: bless you dude
Original post by yoyo462001
Keele isn't targeted at all, and your chances of get Front Office is near none. An Msc at Notts would boost your chances greatly. However if you're at Keele I'm assuming you had relatively weak grades. If you don't have minimum ABB regardless of whether you do an Msc at a top firm, you won't get past auto filters.

Every HR recruit from every IB is going to stress how much they value your application, in reality they just want a ton of apps. I also severely doubt Notts had that many interns (assuming we're talking FO). Notts is semi target, they'll get a fair few into IB but not to a point where you'd say 'Notts is a great place if you want to get into IB'

no i actually got ABBB but i didnt move for personal reasons....after my 2 resits it will be AAAB
Reply 44
no i actually got ABBB but i didnt move for personal reasons....after my 2 resits it will be AAAB

They will see it is a resit? As you have to enter the dates. Even so you pass the minimum requirement.
Original post by SPMS
They will see it is a resit? As you have to enter the dates. Even so you pass the minimum requirement.

do BB care about resits? :/ and what are the minimum requirements? 300 ucas points?
Reply 46
do BB care about resits? :/ and what are the minimum requirements? 300 ucas points?

Not really and you pass most of the entry requirements as it is. 320 UCAS points.
Original post by SPMS
Not really and you pass most of the entry requirements as it is. 320 UCAS points.

ok is nottingham a targeted university by the way? for BB? or no point switching to nottingham because it is not targeted?
Reply 48
ok is nottingham a targeted university by the way? for BB? or no point switching to nottingham because it is not targeted?

More targeted than keele but if you plan to do a masters, there is no point switching.
Original post by SPMS
More targeted than keele but if you plan to do a masters, there is no point switching.

i only want to do a masters if i go to a non-target uni aka keele if i get rejected from nottingham my other option would be birmingham and lancaster? what do you think would be the best course of action if:
a) i get rejected from nottingham but accepted at birmingham and lancaster
b) i get accepted at nottingham

i only want to do masters if i go to a non target uni for undergrad

You're looking at it in the wrong way. It's not you are Oxbridge or not, it's more of a case of X being auto bin, Y uni being 'well we see what his app has to offer and if it's good and interesting we'll give him an interview' and finally 'Z uni is pretty good, mediocre app but hey it's Z uni so we'll give him an interview'. Obviously it's not this simple but generally Notts would be uni Y.

Edit = Bold
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by yoyo462001
You're looking at it in the wrong way. It's not you are Oxbridge or not, it's more of a case of X being auto bin, Y uni being 'well we see what has app has to offer and if it's good and interesting we'll give him an interview' and finally 'Z uni is pretty good, mediocre app but hey it's Z uni'. Obviously it's not this simple but generally Notts would be uni Y.

pretty much cleared it up for me... i take it lancaster and birmingham would be classified as X category?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52
pretty much cleared it up for me... i take it lancaster and birmingham would be classified as Z category?

I believe only the top5(Oxbridgem, LSE, UCL, Warwick) are classified as Z unis.
Original post by YhA_kaede
I believe only the top5(Oxbridgem, LSE, UCL, Warwick) are classified as Z unis.

oh sorry i didnt mean Z i meant X category? for lancaster and birmingham?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending