The Student Room Group

Medical Work

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by thisismycatch22
Which was after a year of tailor making a repeat application after you received 4 rejections without interview last time, and there is no guarantee that you will get an offer this time. That omission aside, they're not asking "is this the absolute minimum" they're asking if it will be of benefit, and realistically you have absolutely no grounds on which to answer this question. The idea that it's quality and not quantity is irrelevant because you have no idea what the quality of the work experience they've already got is, or whether the quality of the additional would benefit them and help them learn something vital about medicine they didn't the first time.

Haha. Yes, I'm sure my advice is worthless because I am a reapplicant. I'll just wait for somebody who is "more qualified" to say exactly what I already have.

e: Wait, you're the guy that was arguing with medics/docs in the other thread about how maths is needed for medicine? Disregard all I have said, you are brilliant.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Beska
Sigh.

Before you get your pitchfork out, there's a thread on this which mirrors my comments.

Plus, if we're going down that road, I have had two interviews with only a weeks work experience.

(Sorry for the stalking) But I really don't understand why you didn't get an interview last year? Your application was brilliant (still is) ..I really don't understand what is it that universities want? I am guessing a high ukcat score? Congrats on both your interviews!
Original post by Beska
Haha. Yes, I'm sure my advice is worthless because I am a reapplicant. I'll just wait for somebody who is "more qualified" to say exactly what I already have.

I didn't say it was worthless, you probably know more than most other applicants on account of having been in the process for so long and on sites like this etc. but you were saying your advice was a guarantee which it is definitely not. Someone more qualified than you to answer may well agree with you. Doesn't mean they're right, but at least they have more grounds to say it. I don't think there's anything in that thread that implies anyone who has two weeks work experience of unknown quality and degree of insight should not do any more.

Original post by Beska
e: Wait, you're the guy that was arguing with medics/docs in the other thread about how maths is needed for medicine? Disregard all I have said, you are brilliant.

I was the guy who said that maths isn't needed for medicine but people on medical courses who did maths A level find some of the quantitative aspects easier. Unlike you I am very qualified to say that because I am the person who gives those people their marks on some of those sections and know exactly how easy or difficult they find it. They didn't understand that me saying people found some parts easier was not the same as me saying it should be a requirement.
Reply 43
Original post by Faith01
(Sorry for the stalking) But I really don't understand why you didn't get an interview last year? Your application was brilliant (still is) ..I really don't understand what is it that universities want? I am guessing a high ukcat score? Congrats on both your interviews!

Must have not been what they were looking for! I think a high UKCAT score helps a lot, even for places (eg Nottingham) that say they don't put a large emphasis on it and instead look at the "whole application". Thanks!
Reply 44
Original post by Beska
Must have not been what they were looking for! I think a high UKCAT score helps a lot, even for places (eg Nottingham) that say they don't put a large emphasis on it and instead look at the "whole application". Thanks!

Yes I think lots of universities say that UKCAT is the last think they look at but that isn't really true. :frown:
Which was after a year of tailor making a repeat application after you received 4 rejections without interview last time, and there is no guarantee that you will get an offer this time. That omission aside, they're not asking "is this the absolute minimum" they're asking if it will be of benefit, and realistically you have absolutely no grounds on which to answer this question. The idea that it's quality and not quantity is irrelevant because you have no idea what the quality of the work experience they've already got is, or whether the quality of the additional would benefit them and help them learn something vital about medicine they didn't the first time. You also have no idea what the rest of this person's application is like. Other people have gotten into medicine with less work experience, but renal in that thread for example applied 7 years ago. Standards may have changed, and you have no idea whether they were a borderline acceptance where more work experience would have helped.

Hello:smile: not sure if this would help, but I think on the extra curricular side of things my application would be quite good. To give an insight to my application, I've got 1 week at a haemotology lab, 2 weeks admin at st barts, 1 week shadowing a surgeon at st georges and 1 week general hospital work. And I'm in an orchestra for 2 years, grade 6 for 2 instruments, volunteered for 2 years in BHF and the library.

So would more work experience be of any use to me? Or would it just be extra that may not be looked at by admissions tutors as I already have what's required?
Also, Beska good luck in your interview today at Nottingham, don't worry you will be absolutely fine, please comment back and write back how you found it!:biggrin:
Original post by MedicalMayhem
Hello:smile: not sure if this would help, but I think on the extra curricular side of things my application would be quite good. To give an insight to my application, I've got 1 week at a haemotology lab, 2 weeks admin at st barts, 1 week shadowing a surgeon at st georges and 1 week general hospital work. And I'm in an orchestra for 2 years, grade 6 for 2 instruments, volunteered for 2 years in BHF and the library.

So would more work experience be of any use to me? Or would it just be extra that may not be looked at by admissions tutors as I already have what's required?

well, I think it sounds great to me, but I haven't even been sent an interview yet so I have no idea what they like or whether it would do any good! If you think you would benefit from more and you're not going to be missing out on A level revision or anything, I don't think more would ever HURT an application, put it that way. You're going to have to talk about it at interview and having more work experience may give you more things to talk about. If you think you've got enough interesting things to talk about already, maybe it would be a waste of time.
well, I think it sounds great to me, but I haven't even been sent an interview yet so I have no idea what they like or whether it would do any good! If you think you would benefit from more and you're not going to be missing out on A level revision or anything, I don't think more would ever HURT an application, put it that way. You're going to have to talk about it at interview and having more work experience may give you more things to talk about. If you think you've got enough interesting things to talk about already, maybe it would be a waste of time.

Thanks, that makes sense :smile: so you're applying for 2011 entry i assume? which universities are you going for then?
Good lord. Why so much GP shadowing?
Work experience is great, but there is way more to medicine than just general practice. I can't see why you would need so much experience of GP. A few days would suffice.

If your grades are D's then all the work experience in the world isn't going to help you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 51
Depends what you can say you learned from it. There are certainly transferrable factors from both, but I would say it should be in addition to, rather than instead of, traditional medical experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending