The Student Room Group

Lacaster vs sheffield

I have been offered a place to study philosophy at lancaster and sheffield.
I like the look of lancaster which has offered ABB and like the look of sheffield which has offered AAB.
The thing is sheffield is higher in the league rankings for philosophy but lancaster is for overall.
Which is better in your opinion???
Reply 1
Well surely part of your decission should be which place you prefer in terms of what the city is like. So firstly visit them both and see which you like best. And secondly how good other departments are is irrelivent because you won't be studying at them.

Now in terms of what lancaster is like, I don't really know, but I can tell you (from living there) that sheffield is a great place to live, and as cities go it's not huge (as to be overwhelming) but not so small as to have nothing there.

But the solution is obviously to visit and see which you prefer. That or flip a coin.
Reply 2
I am an international student studying at Lancaster University(I had applied for Sheffield too!). I quite like it here but I would advice you visit both the universities and talk to the faculty, students, look at their course structure, enquire about extra facilities etc. Only then you will be able to figure out the difference. I do not quite believe in the rankings as long as you performing well in academics in any top rated university.

Wish you good luck!
I applied for both of these (at Sheffield now) and I think the biggest thing you need to consider is the location of each. Sheffield Uni is right in the city whereas Lancaster is on the edge of a big town/small city (not sure which). If this doesn't bother you then you should look at the course content, as both unis have similar, new accomodation (although Lancaster is a campus uni so the accomodation is fairly near to the uni buildings but Sheffield's main accomodation is a 20 min walk away). The course content is really important to your overall enjoyment of uni and it differs a lot between different institutions. Oh and I really wouldn't consider Lancaster better than Sheffield overall so if that's bothering you don't worry about it.
I'd choose Sheffield but frankly, whichever you want. It's not like Oxford vs Oxford Brookes.
Reply 5
Depends if you want a campus or city uni.
Reply 6
Original post by shpongle
I am an international student studying at Lancaster University(I had applied for Sheffield too!). I quite like it here but I would advice you visit both the universities and talk to the faculty, students, look at their course structure, enquire about extra facilities etc. Only then you will be able to figure out the difference. I do not quite believe in the rankings as long as you performing well in academics in any top rated university.

Wish you good luck!

Just wondering why did you choose lancaster over sheffield???
Sheffield's prestige is overrated because of its location mainly, and Lancaster has been over-hyped with its recent league table boost. Honestly, the difference between them is negligible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending