The Student Room Group

Fox Hunting

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i'm against foxhunting.

drag hunting is a perfectly acceptable alternative to hunting a fox if people are doing it for sport.

if the purpose is to kill foxes... well, it's a very inefficient method!
Original post by secret_smile
Completely against it.
And I am not a snobby city girl who has no idea what it's like in the "country"...
I grew up on a farm and we had chickens and ducks which were all at risk of being attacked by foxes- so we just took the sensible precautions! Ensured their enclosure was totally secure and didn't give foxes the oppotunity to kill any of them.
The number of times I went to feed the birds to see a couple of foxes sat outside the chicken enclosure looking hungry. They never got a single one though.

I just think fox hunting is barbaric and I couldn't care less if it's 'traditional'.
Some traditions are meant to be left behind.

just out of interest do you have any idea how much a fox being outside their enclosure would affect your chickens? every so often is fair enough but the chickens cant know that their enclosure is safe and cant feel comfort in that so the smell of a fox would cause them all immense stress.
Against it. If there is a genuine problem with foxes, there has to be a more humane way of killing them, because regardless of what people say I fail to see how having your throat ripped out by an angry dog is humane in any way.
Reply 23
For it.
Original post by overtherainbow
just out of interest do you have any idea how much a fox being outside their enclosure would affect your chickens? every so often is fair enough but the chickens cant know that their enclosure is safe and cant feel comfort in that so the smell of a fox would cause them all immense stress.

So do you think shooting the fox a better idea?

I never said it was perfect but it avoids the death of chickens and foxes...
It may have caused the birds occasional stress but they still laid eggs, still ate, kept at a good weight and didn't show any negative symptoms of stress.

Not much else I can do for the birds.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by secret_smile
So do you think shooting the fox a better idea?

I never said it was perfect but it avoids the death of chickens and foxes...
It may have caused the birds occasional stress but they still laid eggs, still ate, kept at a good weight and didn't show any negative symptoms of stress.

Not much else I can do for the birds.

(well yes but my opinion isnt what matters here) you could just remove the fox in some "humane way" or you could fence a larger area properly to deter the fox so the chickens arent aware of its prescence... Oh and they are prey animals so are designed to hide signs of stress...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending