The Student Room Group

People who think size 12/14 are too big/fat!

Scroll to see replies

Why the hell do people use dress size as a measure of how over or under weight someone is?
As already said in this thread, it depends on how tall the person is along with other factors.
Plus, sizes vary so much between shops and brands. Someone could be a size 10 in one item, and a size 14 in something else.
Original post by F i s
:drool:

Both? :biggrin:
DId you know that different shops have slightly different sizing depending on their audience.......so if you find a size 12/14 in topshop or newlook that are aimed at teenagers.....it'll be slightly different to a size 12/14 in marks and spencers or bonmarsh that are aimed at older woman...it's an illusion to make the clothing size seem smaller...

I wear a mixture of size 10/12 and size 14 clothes depending on the item of clothing.....where i bought it from and the time of year (like after christmas I'm a bit bigger) lol

So I could have a dress from topshop size 12....and go to marks and sparks and get the same size.....but it'll be a bit bigger.....it's all so that the wearer is able to say "I'm a size 12" even though the dress may be more of a size 14

but the point I'm making is we're all different sizes really.....and it isn't about the clothing size.....it's about you're healthyness, personality and happiness.....that shines through

may I remind that Marilyn Monroe was a size 12/14
Reply 43
There are some nice girls there, it all depends on the height, weight and proportions.
Size isnt everything.
yes
yes
no
yes
yes
no

just sayin'
Reply 45
Original post by CoffeeStinks
Both? :biggrin:

Course :wink:
Original post by jimmyatemyworld
Definitely depends on the women. I'm a part time shop assistant, and not to be the stereotype of the classic judgemental sales assistant, I've seen women who are size 8's because they are literally 5ft be quite fat, and I've seen tall women who are very skinny try on size 14's and when they hand me back the clothes they've tried on I think HOW ARE YOU A SIZE 14? haha. So you definitely can't decide 'I'd never date a size 14' because the truth is, yes she could be quite fat, but she could also be quite thin!
Also, Erin O'Connor = skeletal skinny = a size 12

Erin O'Connor is a size 8, not a 12.

Also how can a 5ft size 8 woman be 'quite fat', that seems like a bit of an exaggeration to me....unless they were 'skinny-fat', i.e. no muscle and high body fat % or your shop has a bad case of vanity sizing.
This argument comes up time and time again, but the fact of the matter is it all depends on individual body type, particularly factors such as bust and hip size. Big boobs and wide hips = bigger size than small boobs and narrow hips even if they both had the same waist measurement.
The model in the first picture is gorgeous.

I'm a size 8 - sometimes a 10, sometimes a 6 depending on shop - and I would hate to be any bigger than a 10. I'm 5ft though so it would look dreadful on me. I'm not sure what weight I am in stone, but I am approx 43kg, and when I went upto my biggest (45kg) I looked bloody awful :lolwut: Hmmm.

Also OP, the pics you posted are obviously 'the best of the bunch' - not every size 16 woman looks like that. Oh and just because a size 16 is the average for this country (good lord) doesn't mean it's healthy and should be admired :lolwut:
Some of those girls are pretty :L
And personality over looks? I often think fat people are pretty, but it's that lack of care about health that bothers me. Not that I'm saying 12/14/16 is fat. Well, it would be for me, because im 5'3" and smallboned :biggrin:
Original post by sarahthegemini
The model in the first picture is gorgeous.

I'm a size 8 - sometimes a 10, sometimes a 6 depending on shop - and I would hate to be any bigger than a 10. I'm 5ft though so it would look dreadful on me. I'm not sure what weight I am in stone, but I am approx 43kg, and when I went upto my biggest (45kg) I looked bloody awful :lolwut: Hmmm.

Also OP, the pics you posted are obviously 'the best of the bunch' - not every size 16 woman looks like that. Oh and just because a size 16 is the average for this country (good lord) doesn't mean it's healthy and should be admired :lolwut:

You just basically wrote everything I was going to say. So I'm repping :biggrin: lol
Original post by wtfCharlie
Some of those girls are pretty :L
And personality over looks? I often think fat people are pretty, but it's that lack of care about health that bothers me. Not that I'm saying 12/14/16 is fat. Well, it would be for me, because im 5'3" and smallboned :biggrin:

I'm 4"11, a size 12/14 and no way am I "fat" so no I doubt it would be for you.
Original post by chlobofro
I'm 4"11, a size 12/14 and no way am I "fat" so no I doubt it would be for you.

That's why I mentioned that I was small-boned, because hip and shoulder size factor into it. Then again, my mum is 5'2", and a 12/14 and she is technically overweight. That's what I generally consider to be "fat", actual overweightness :L
Reply 53
Original post by mtoo
There's been many threads on here that say in general that sizes 12 / 14 are too big? Is this really the general opinion, considering some of these examples?

These girls are all size 12, 14,16. Would you guys seriously not hit that? I think they are gorgeous.

Give me any one of those over any size zero-10 any day! :smile:
Original post by wtfCharlie
That's why I mentioned that I was small-boned, because hip and shoulder size factor into it. Then again, my mum is 5'2", and a 12/14 and she is technically overweight. That's what I generally consider to be "fat", actual overweightness :L

Even overweight people look slim haha. I'm technically overweight yet I look like any average British girl.
Reply 55
There's been many threads on here that say in general that sizes 12 / 14 are too big? Is this really the general opinion, considering some of these examples?

These girls are all size 12, 14,16. Would you guys seriously not hit that? I think they are gorgeous.

Yes, but look at some of these heffers:

Spoiler

way to 'large' imo. size 8-10 is perfect :yep:
Reply 56
Dress size means NOTHING. Industry standard size 12 seems to have graduated to a high street size 6-10, and I'm sure most people probably have items from a size 6 to an 18 in their wardrobe, showing how completely irrelevant dress size is as a measure of health/weight/beauty.

If you're a size 12-14 and think you look amazing, then that's great. If you don't, eat healthier and try out some different clothes, & remember you could be so much worse so quit worrying.
Reply 57
You have to adhere to certain standards lads. Size 14's should be strictly off limits or 10 pinters.
Reply 58
i find it shocking that people find that fat.
the amount of people that think Beyonce is fat too 0_o. how the hell?
Original post by littlelakefairies
Well that's a bit of a kick in the teeth for me if that true lol
As iv being trying to lose weight over the summer mouths and iv went down from a size 18 to a size 12/14 but what iv found it really depend on the woman body shape and if she feel comfortable within her own skin because if you feel about yourself who give a monkey uncle what other people think!
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a 'doable' list and frankly I don't really care. Guys or Girls should want be with you for being you not because of your size. As long people are heathy and happy then good for them :biggrin: personally i think there too much pressure on the 'Perfect Body' and 'Look'.

im woundering if anyone agree or disagree with me?
(if disagree please dont be too nasty this is my first day on this site lol)
and plus what really the 'Perfect Body' or 'Look' anyway???
(btw if i got spelling wrong and missing words sorry!)

I agree. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest