The Student Room Group

C3 exam questions help

Does anyone know how to do the following questions?

Sketch the graph of y= |x-250|-10

Solve the inequality |x-250| < 10

thanks
Which paper is this from? It seems a bit off...and I own a business
its from a specimen paper from my college
anyone?
Mind either uploading the question as pdf or typing it all word for word? I might be able to help you then :smile:
Reply 5
For the graph imagine the graph of |x|. It's a V shape with a gradient of one that passes through the origin and y is equal to or greater than 0. Then apply graph transformations. The |x-250| functions in a similar way to f(x-250) would, it indicates a shift right 250 units. Then the -10 means you move the graph 10 units down.

For the inequality you need to consider that |x-250|<10 means that both (x-250)<10 and (250-x)<10.
Reply 6
Original post by Princess_perfect786
Does anyone know how to do the following questions?

Sketch the graph of y= |x-250|-10

Solve the inequality |x-250| < 10

thanks

Sketch the graph of y=x-250, reflect the part of the graph where y<0 in the x axis, then translate the the whole graph down by 10.

For the inequality, you could draw the graphs of y=|x-250| and y=10, find the points of intersection and give the values of x where the inequality is satisfied.
Original post by Mr Rishabh Bajaj
Mind either uploading the question as pdf or typing it all word for word? I might be able to help you then :smile:

sorry i don't know how to do that. i can copy and paste them for you ,though
Original post by Hudzy
For the graph imagine the graph of |x|. It's a V shape with a gradient of one that passes through the origin and y is equal to or greater than 0. Then apply graph transformations. The |x-250| functions in a similar way to f(x-250) would, it indicates a shift right 250 units. Then the -10 means you move the graph 10 units down.

For the inequality you need to consider that |x-250|<10 means that both (x-250)<10 and (250-x)<10.

why is that?

Quick Reply

Latest