The Student Room Group

Is there a relation between hair colour and sexuality?

This is just a general question as I cant seem to find anything online but I remember reading once that people with red hair were... and this is where I struggle... more inclined to have a higher libido?
I did read an article once which looked at the animal kingdom and noted that particularly sexual species (like humans and ducks) had a higher rate of homosexual activity.

Thinking about it, almost everyone I know who has ginger hair are also at least a little bit flexible with their sexuality and I was just wondering if thats chance or if anyone else had heard of a link between fiery hair and sexuality!

No offence intended, I have a slight love for red hair myself!

Scroll to see replies

gingers r gay
Can't see why there would be.
It said that on QI once aswell, not sure if it's true or not
Reply 4
What does green hair mean? :yikes:
Reply 5
It's an age-old association; redheads were rare to the conquering civilisations back in the day, so they were sexually selected and seen to be hotter. Poetically, they were conflated with fire and passion. In current times, there is an unspoken understanding that gingers aren't hot, and this social pressure may mean they get less poonanny or equivalent and therefore are more desperate and horny.

It is often the case that desperation, horniness and social attitude can make people have homosexual sex. Someone who is like this is not gay.
Reply 6
Original post by IFondledAGibbon
Can't see why there would be.

well, hair colour is a sign of particular genetics, which occurs as a result of a particular biological process and so the situation in which you get red hair could also be more likely to genetically incline to individual tro a more general sexual approach?
Reply 7
Original post by Arekkusu
It's an age-old association; redheads were rare to the conquering civilisations back in the day, so they were sexually selected and seen to be hotter. Poetically, they were conflated with fire and passion. In current times, there is an unspoken understanding that gingers aren't hot, and this social pressure may mean they get less poonanny or equivalent and therefore are more desperate and horny.

It is often the case that desperation, horniness and social attitude can make people have homosexual sex. Someone who is like this is not gay.

hahahaaa... that is an interesting point...
Reply 8
I have red hair, but it's dark auburn so I don't count as a ginger... :biggrin:

Interesting...*watches thread* :cookie:
Reply 9
Original post by .Ali.
I have red hair, but it's dark auburn so I don't count as a ginger... :biggrin:

Interesting...*watches thread* :cookie:

Red heads are the hottest! They all just seem really horny too for some reason...
Reply 10
Original post by bacforever3
hahahaaa... that is an interesting point...

What bit?
I've never met a blonde who isn't a total batty boy.
Reply 12
Original post by Arekkusu
What bit?

Well, the possibility that our actions are strongly linked with peoples perceptions of ourself, and then using that to suggest potentially high levels of sexuality in red headed people to be a result of extreme lonliness! :P

Though those I know will never be lonely, I can assure you!
Reply 13
Well, the possibility that our actions are strongly linked with peoples perceptions of ourself, and then using that to suggest potentially high levels of sexuality in red headed people to be a result of extreme lonliness! :P

Though those I know will never be lonely, I can assure you!

Basically, I'm so narrow-minded I assume everything anyone ever says is true, and then try to construct a post hoc explanation for it.

I love redheads too, I'd be glad to join you on your quest :perv:
Reply 14
I read an article in Pysychology Today or something like that which said that redhead women do indeed HAVE more sex, but it isn't clear as to whether this is down to them actually having a higher libido or if they just attract men more easily (they're more noticeable).
Reply 15
oh... and whoever negg repped me, I dont count repp so dont mind, but would like an explanation please! :smile:
well, hair colour is a sign of particular genetics, which occurs as a result of a particular biological process and so the situation in which you get red hair could also be more likely to genetically incline to individual tro a more general sexual approach?

"Particular biological process"? Hair colour isn't just your straight forward Mendellian Punnett Squares. You've got more than one gene influencing the phenotype. Genes turning on-off or adding up. Basically it's complicated; there isn't even one gene for red hair, there's a whole spectrum of colours determined by the amount of pigment.

Homosexuality is only partly genetically determined, we know the environment plays a big part. So how could the two possibly be linked?

The only way there could be a correlation is that some social pressure or influence is turing gingers gay. I can't really see that to be true.
Reply 17
I've heard this. I doubt its truth.
Reply 18
Original post by LeeC
Red heads are the hottest! They all just seem really horny too for some reason...

It's becaus we're sexy beasts. :sexface:
Reply 19
Somehow I doubt it.

Though others have made an interesting point about social aspects and red headed people.

Personally never been inclined to have sex with another girl though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending