The Student Room Group

opinion of UEA

I'm really liking the look of UEA from looking at their website. I really like their selection process and the course structure as well as the location and campus. Does anybody have any opinions of the uni?

Scroll to see replies

Ugly.
Reply 2
I have a good friend there who loves it (studying English and History of Art) and it's one of my 5 choices. I like Norwich *shrugs*
Reply 3
My brother turned down a place studying English at Oxford to go there and my mum went nuts, but he really enjoyed it. He said they had a great creative writing fair (maybe 15 years ago now though!)...

Don't think that's been helpful in any way...
Reply 4
My psychology teacher tells me it used to have the highest suicide rate of any uni a few years back...Not sure how true that is mind.

But I love it :biggrin:
Reply 5
Just ask around, the satisfaction of medical students there is amazing, only second to Barts I would say. If the course structure is for you then it's definitely a good choice.
Reply 6
Original post by (Online)
My psychology teacher tells me it used to have the highest suicide rate of any uni a few years back...Not sure how true that is mind.

But I love it :biggrin:

I heard that was Imperial - but they denied it at the open day
Original post by In2deep
Just ask around, the satisfaction of medical students there is amazing, only second to Barts I would say. If the course structure is for you then it's definitely a good choice.

He speaks words of wisdom! :yep:
Reply 8
I think it has a good reputation and also it has the massive advantage of being attached to a brand new hospital so the facilities are really good. The only disadvantage is that (i) it's in Norwich so a little out of the way, and (ii) the hospital is actually outside of Norwich which makes it awkward to get to.
Reply 9
The university is about 1.5 miles from the city centre, or 0-1 miles from most of the student housing areas. The hospital is about a mile further on.

The campus grounds are exceptional, look at an aerial map/photo of it and you can see the extensive grass areas and woodland, plus a lake and so on. The buildings are densely packed together in the middle and are the usual ugly concrete style, but it's fine really. Norwich city is renowned for its historic architecture and many surviving mediaeval buildings, so it's a nice city centre if you're into that sort of thing.
Original post by Ienjoylife

Original post by Ienjoylife
I think it has a good reputation and also it has the massive advantage of being attached to a brand new hospital so the facilities are really good. The only disadvantage is that (i) it's in Norwich so a little out of the way, and (ii) the hospital is actually outside of Norwich which makes it awkward to get to.

If I could just correct you there, as you are completely wrong.

(i) Yes it's in Norwich, but a short journey from town and the train station, so there are minimal issues there
(ii) The hospital (the main one) is about a 15 minute walk from the uni, so in no way "awkward to get to" at all. And the ones in Kings Lynn and Great Yarmouth the uni puts transport on for you (one of the few who do this) and the same can be said for primary care.

And yes, the centre of campus isn't the most beautiful in the world, but it's got great landscape and all the more recent buildings are really pretty. Plus, as a med student about 90% of the rooms you're in are in the new buildings anyway :smile:

Personally, I love it here and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. OP, if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help :smile:
Reply 11
I went to a house party in Norwich once and had to pass the university hospital there, and it was absolutely beautiful. The only hospitals I'd really seen before are the two Nottingham ones which are old and ugly as heck, but the one in Norwich looked incredibly modern. I think that is definitely a plus. :p:
Yeah, my best mate is a UEA medic and the little I saw when I was there visiting him with a bunch of other mates, I actually liked. I'm not talking uni architecture etc. but atmosphere on the whole.

We walked from the station back to his halls which did take quite a bit, but it wasn't too too bad on the whole. And even getting into town that night was alright - cab was well cheap which was nice and took us like 10 mins max to get there.
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

(i) Yes it's in Norwich, but a short journey from town and the train station, so there are minimal issues there
(ii) The hospital (the main one) is about a 15 minute walk from the uni, so in no way "awkward to get to" at all. And the ones in Kings Lynn and Great Yarmouth the uni puts transport on for you (one of the few who do this) and the same can be said for primary care.

And yes, the centre of campus isn't the most beautiful in the world, but it's got great landscape and all the more recent buildings are really pretty. Plus, as a med student about 90% of the rooms you're in are in the new buildings anyway :smile:

Personally, I love it here and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. OP, if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help :smile:

Hey, you're a girl and live in Norwich?

Just my type. Want to come over?
Original post by cttp_ngaf

Original post by cttp_ngaf
Hey, you're a girl and live in Norwich?

Just my type. Want to come over?

:erm:
:erm:

:colone:
Reply 16
My cousin is in her 3rd year doing business at UEA (as far as I know she doesn't attend any lectures or anything, so...) but she absolutely loves it. I think UEA is one of the universities that tried to make every building a short walk from each other, so the campus is quite small and easy to get around.
I applied this year and last, am hoping to get an interview..
Reply 17
Original post by Medicine Man
Yeah, my best mate is a UEA medic and the little I saw when I was there visiting him with a bunch of other mates, I actually liked. I'm not talking uni architecture etc. but atmosphere on the whole.

We walked from the station back to his halls which did take quite a bit, but it wasn't too too bad on the whole. And even getting into town that night was alright - cab was well cheap which was nice and took us like 10 mins max to get there.

You came to UEA and didn't try to meet me? :haughty:

On topic: I love UEA and though it has it's issues, there's no medical school I'd rather be at.
Reply 18

I think his point is that Norwich is kind of out of the way.
Original post by Hygeia
You came to UEA and didn't try to meet me? :haughty:

On topic: I love UEA and though it has it's issues, there's no medical school I'd rather be at.

Seconded.

Original post by lekky
I think his point is that Norwich is kind of out of the way.

Tbh, it's not particularly. And "out of the way" depends on where you come from anyway :p: It's connected to London by one train, and IIRC you can connect to Peterborough which takes you up and down the country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending