The Student Room Group

Physics for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Just want to emphasise peoples views of not needing more than 3 or 4 a levels.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article4535630.ece
Reply 81
Original post by Schrodinger's Dog
I am a Physics Teacher and I have quickly glanced through a few of the replies.

The step up from GCSE to A level is a big one but nowhere near as big as the step up from A level to undergrad. To immerse yourself in 6 diverse AS levels is not only highly improbable (due to timetabling constraints) but also not very productive on your behalf. Just concentrate on the maths and further maths with physics, then whatever you can take alongside that you are happy with. I would say that economics or chemistry is a good additional over biology.
rgds

Schrodinger's Dog

Thanks for the reply :smile: I will take your advice into consideration.
Reply 82
Original post by h2shin
Just want to emphasise peoples views of not needing more than 3 or 4 a levels.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article4535630.ece

I've decided to do 4 A-Levels. Thanks for the link
Reply 83
I didn't like physics in O Levels but trust me, A Level Physics is just greattttttttttt!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 84
Original post by Annie94
I didn't like physics in O Levels but trust me, A Level Physics is just greattttttttttt!!!! :biggrin:

Exactly what my Physics teacher told me a week ago haha
Original post by aliakhtar
I've decided to do 4 A-Levels. Thanks for the link

Which four?
Reply 86
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Which four?

Either Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, or Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics. The first option if I am sure by March that I only want to do Physics later on in life and the second to keep both options open after A-Level. What do you think about this in AS I do 5 : Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics. Then I drop either Physics or Economics depending on which one I want?
Either Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, or Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics. The first option if I am sure by March that I only want to do Physics later on in life and the second to keep both options open after A-Level. What do you think about this in AS I do 5 : Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics. Then I drop either Physics or Economics depending on which one I want?

If you're on for straight A's/A*'s, then yes, you should do five. :biggrin:
Reply 88
If you're on for straight A's/A*'s, then yes, you should do five. :biggrin:

Predicted all A*s and I'll try to achieve all 11 of them. Then I'll continue this pattern onto A-Levels :smile:
Predicted all A*s and I'll try to achieve all 11 of them. Then I'll continue this pattern onto A-Levels :smile:

Excellent! See you at Oxford. :biggrin:
Reply 90
Excellent! See you at Oxford. :biggrin:

Haha unrealistic but I hope so!
I hear that physics a level has been made easier as it has to take into consideration people who don't take maths a-level.
If this is the case, it might be a good idea to take as many mechanics modules as possible in maths/further maths.

Edit: Also, if you are looking for good books the Cambridge University Maths and Physics recommended reading lists are very good.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by j.alexanderh
I hear that physics a level has been made easier as it has to take into consideration people who don't take maths a-level.
If this is the case, it might be a good idea to take as many mechanics modules as possible in maths/further maths.

I will indeed take Mechanics in Maths. In the Edexcel AS course the first chapter in Physics is called Mechanics :cool:
Reply 93

Edit: Also, if you are looking for good books the Cambridge University Maths and Physics recommended reading lists are very good.

Any link for this list?
I will indeed take Mechanics in Maths. In the Edexcel AS course the first chapter in Physics is called Mechanics :cool:

Yes, but you have a choice of 12 modules from 18 for further maths. Doing at least three mechanics modules would be a good idea.
Reply 95
Yes, but you have a choice of 12 modules from 18 for further maths. Doing at least three mechanics modules would be a good idea.

Oh ok I understand. So that twelve could include 4 from C1-C4 and 8 others if I'm right?
Haha unrealistic but I hope so!

I can't see why not. :smile:

Presumably you're thinking of doing something Mathematics/Physics based at degree level? (Possibly engineering?)
Oh ok I understand. So that twelve could include 4 from C1-C4 and 8 others if I'm right?

Correct. I recommend all the pure modules as these are the most important for physics in terms of developing mathematical technique, especially FP2 and 3, which introduce vector calculus and matrices which are indispensable in physics. Aside from this, take as many mechanics as you are allowed, maybe a stats module or two to balance things out.
Reply 98
I can't see why not. :smile:

Presumably you're thinking of doing something Mathematics/Physics based at degree level? (Possibly engineering?)

I'm interested in particle physics and cosmology :smile:
I'm interested in particle physics and cosmology :smile:

Good shout.

Quick Reply

Latest