The Student Room Group

English Lit A Level?

It's that time when im meant to pick 4 a levels to study in sixth form/college. I've picked biology, history and psychology but im not sure what to pick for the fourth, i love reading so i though english lit, but im not so sure. Any thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by SammyLeighh
It's that time when im meant to pick 4 a levels to study in sixth form/college. I've picked biology, history and psychology but im not sure what to pick for the fourth, i love reading so i though english lit, but im not so sure. Any thoughts?

If you like it and your predicted A/A* at GCSE then do it. It works well with History A-Level
I love reading

If you love reading, English Literature is your thing. :biggrin:
(plus an A/A* in GCSE wouldn't hurt).
Reply 3
do you think that this combination of subjects will be challenging? im worried im going to be putting a lot of pressure on myself.
my target grade for gcse is an A
im sure you'll be able to cope :smile: especially if you love reading! a passion for english lit will make it soooo much easier to pass through the lessons and to succeed by really appreciating the books + poems
go for it :biggrin:
Reply 5
I think that it's a good combination of subjects :smile: I like it, as long as you're willing to put the work in (wider reading etc.) then I'd say go for it! :smile:
do you think that this combination of subjects will be challenging? im worried im going to be putting a lot of pressure on myself.
my target grade for gcse is an A

Well Biology is rather intense, but you should be okay.

History is easy. I didn't do a History GCSE, yet I'm top of my class at A-Level. :smile: (If you're analytical, logical/essay based, you're on for an A in History A-Level).

English Literature is rather challenging, but if you're someone who enjoys reading and is going to get an A at GCSE, you'll have absolutely no problem there.

Psychology.. Hmm. Not the best A-Level because it's one of the "soft" A-Levels. If you're considering teaching as a career, or Psychology, then you should choose Mathematics A-Level, or Chemistry/Physics. :biggrin:
Reply 7
thankyou! i think im gonna go for it :biggrin:
thankyou! i think im gonna go for it :biggrin:

Any time. :smile:

+ I hope you do, it's very rewarding! :biggrin:

if you like reading old boring rubbish books such as pride and prejudge and then writing a long essay about it then go ahead! i regretted choosing English lit but it was helpful for uni as i have to write essays here too :frown:
PRETTY good choices but phsycology is seen as a 'soft' subject by well the top unis.
Ahhh english LIT WILL be good, ill be picking that as well as history and biology.

Good luck !
Reply 11
I do English Lit, History and Business along with General Studies and I'm finding it okay at the moment :smile:
Reply 12
English Lit at A2 is a hell of a lot of work, but it's really interesting too. There's lots of background research to be done, on top of the basic reading and essay writing, but if you're interested in what you're studying then it can be pretty fun at times. I'd say go for it :smile:
Original post by misshape
English Lit at A2 is a hell of a lot of work, but it's really interesting too. There's lots of background research to be done, on top of the basic reading and essay writing, but if you're interested in what you're studying then it can be pretty fun at times. I'd say go for it :smile:

What kind of background research are you referring to? :smile:
Reply 14
I was in your position and originally just picked English Literature as a 4th subject because I wasn't sure what else to pick but I ended up enjoying it so much that I carried it onto A2. History is my main passion though and I found that English Lit really does go well with it so it's a safe choice.
Reply 15
Btw Psychology is not going to be too much of a negative in terms of universities, your other 3 are very well respected and psychology is also really popular.

I do English Lit and I find it fairly good. If you love reading then you'll like the course.
Reply 16
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
What kind of background research are you referring to? :smile:

Mainly just looking up references/allusions and some contextual stuff, it's pretty interesting when you find something relevant :smile:
Reply 17
English Literature is tricky in some ways.

In my opinion you're either good at it or you're not. But don't doubt yourself too early either.

If you are able to write essays quickly, have a large vocabulary (or willing to develop one) and don't mind doing a lot of background research then I'd say it's the subject for you if you're willing to try. It helps to enjoy sharing your opinions on literature and reading but do be aware that it's not just about liking reading. The books you will read will be chosen and you will have to read them. And over again usually too. So be sure you're willing to do that.

tl;dr? Basically do it if you're happy to do so. It's not that hard if you're able to write coherently and argue your opinions. There's no right or wrong either. Helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending