The Student Room Group

How to get Moped licence? Already have valid UK driving licence since!

Hello guys!
Just was wondering how to get moped licence as I already have a valid UK driving licence and been driving since September 2005!

Also how much would the insurance cost! I've 1 year no claim bonus on my name! As for the previous years I've been driving as a second driver!

Also where to buy good, reliable Mopeds in London? I'm looking for good types of Mopeds! So only suggest if you have experience!

What about the ROAD TAX? Is that still 15 GBP/Year?
Please let me know ASAP as I've to get one by end of January as I cannot afford driving car any more! It's too expensive to run a small engine car! Already paying around 35 ~ 40 GBP/week!

By the way which type do you guys recommend to go for! The 25cc, 50cc or 125cc? What's the difference anyway? Obviously the power and speed, but what else? Does it affects the performance of the bike itself?

By the way I'm 23 :smile:!
Thanks in advance,
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would go get your full bike license. Other wise you have to do your cbt, then keep doing it every two years. Come on the motorbike soc and most of them will pay attention, i'm normally the only mug who will post motorbike stuff out side the motorbike thread.

You should have provisional entitlement already, meaning you just need to do a cbt to get a >125cc with a max of 14.6bhp.

Insurance - see motorbike soc first page - we can't tell you, do your own quotes. However a 650cc bike cost's me £200 fc.

Bike - not chinese. NEVER EVER EVER EVER GET A CHINESE BIKE!!! I don't like 50cc, i would get a 125, as more chance to get out of the way of trouble as a little more power. Personally, do your full test and get a 600.

Road tax depends on what cc bike. but for sub 150cc its £15

You do also need bike gear, and jan is not a good month to learn, given snow and ice, and its cold
(edited 13 years ago)
You already have a moped licence by virtue of having a full UK car licence. Look on your photocard for the letter 'p', next to B, B1, f,k. However to validate that moped entitlement you need to do CBT, and that CBT remains valid indefinitely for the purposes of giving you a moped licence. Keep the CBT certificate safe with your licence.

"Moped" has a specific legal definition. Less than 50cc, top speed of no more than 31 mph (or 28 depending on date of manufacture I believe).

To ride anything larger than 50cc you need to do CBT, have L-plates, and re-take CBT every 2 years until you pass your theory and practical motorbike tests, as described by bathwiggle above.
Reply 3
Original post by AnythingButChardonnay
You already have a moped licence by virtue of having a full UK car licence. Look on your photocard for the letter 'p', next to B, B1, f,k. However to validate that moped entitlement you need to do CBT, and that CBT remains valid indefinitely for the purposes of giving you a moped licence. Keep the CBT certificate safe with your licence.

"Moped" has a specific legal definition. Less than 50cc, top speed of no more than 31 mph (or 28 depending on date of manufacture I believe).

To ride anything larger than 50cc you need to do CBT, have L-plates, and re-take CBT every 2 years until you pass your theory and practical motorbike tests, as described by bathwiggle above.

No at 17 you can ride a 125cc on a moped license. At 16 you are restricted to a 50cc. You must display L plates for both.

You still have to do a CBT to cover you for 2 years. During this time you can then go for a full motorcycle license.
Original post by jb9191
No at 17 you can ride a 125cc on a moped license.

No, you can ride a 125cc on a provisional A licence, assuming you have a valid CBT. You need L-plates for that.

At 16 you are restricted to a 50cc. You must display L plates for both.

You still have to do a CBT to cover you for 2 years. During this time you can then go for a full motorcycle license.

The important piece of information here is this: the OP has a car licence, and therefore has a full moped licence. As he passed after 1st February 2001 he needs to do CBT to validate that full moped entitlement, but the CBT remains valid indefinitely for that purpose. L-plates are then not required because the licence is full.
Reply 5
Original post by AnythingButChardonnay
No, you can ride a 125cc on a provisional A licence, assuming you have a valid CBT. You need L-plates for that.

You can ride a moped 125cc at 17 years of age with a CBT.

I did it and got stopped by police and checked and everything was fine. Never an issue.

A CBT allows a rider to ride a moped upto 50cc with a provisional licence from 16 years of age, and a motorbike upto 125cc with a full car licence from 17 years of age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_Basic_Training

As he has a car license, he can do a CBT and then drive a 125cc moped or motorbike as I did. I had a yamaha YZ 125 road legal.

The important piece of information here is this: the OP has a car licence, and therefore has a full moped licence. As he passed after 1st February 2001 he needs to do CBT to validate that full moped entitlement, but the CBT remains valid indefinitely for that purpose. L-plates are then not required because the licence is full.

He can ride a 125cc after he has done his CBT.
Original post by jb9191

He can ride a 125cc after he has done his CBT.

With L-plates, on a provisional bike licence.

Not too difficult a concept, surely?
He's not accepting there is a difference between a moped license and full/provisional motorbike license
Reply 8
Original post by anythingbutchardonnay
with l-plates, on a provisional bike licence.

Not too difficult a concept, surely?

using his full driving license plus cbt he can drive a 125cc motorbike with L plates as stated before.
Original post by jb9191
using his full driving license plus cbt he can drive a 125cc motorbike with L plates as stated before.

Providing he has provisional entitlement for A catagory on his license.

All car licenses should come with provisional p (moped) not all come with provision A (motorbike)!!!!

Therefore will need to check he has provisional A before getting a 125.

We do know the law. Read what he wrote. It was addressing the MOPED license.
I thought i'd come into this thread to try and help but somehow have just got very confused...

From what i thought it was just get a provisional license, do your CBT, then you can ride for 2 years.(50cc+30mph if 16 /125cc + 15hp if over 16)After 2 years you can ride nothing as your CBT is expired.

Then you need to pass your bike test etc during CBT if you want to carry on riding stuff..

All this moped/provisonal talk is confusing.

Cheapest option in long run is do CBT then pass test. Then buy a cheap Honda CG125 or something and you can ride it forever with no worries of CBT running out.

If i'm wrong on anything quote/correct me...
Original post by farhzshad
Hello guys!
Just was wondering how to get moped licence as I already have a valid UK driving licence and been driving since September 2005!

Also how much would the insurance cost! I've 1 year no claim bonus on my name! As for the previous years I've been driving as a second driver!

Also where to buy good, reliable Mopeds in London? I'm looking for good types of Mopeds! So only suggest if you have experience!

What about the ROAD TAX? Is that still 15 GBP/Year?
Please let me know ASAP as I've to get one by end of January as I cannot afford driving car any more! It's too expensive to run a small engine car! Already paying around 35 ~ 40 GBP/week!

By the way which type do you guys recommend to go for! The 25cc, 50cc or 125cc? What's the difference anyway? Obviously the power and speed, but what else? Does it affects the performance of the bike itself?

By the way I'm 23 :smile:!
Thanks in advance,

Ok, insurance will be around £300 for your first year on a 50/125...

Look on ebay for bikes or in local ads to pick up cheap stuff. Dealers will have massive mark ups on all their bikes. And as BathWiggle as already said avoid the chinese bikes. Some p[laces will have mopeds that look the same as the rest but are half the price, the reason for this is because they're crap and will fall apart after about a year leaving you with a pile of scrap metal... Buy Japanese.

Any bike around the size you're looking for will be £15 a year tax. Yes.

Firstly, you don't get 25cc bikes... That's an engine the size of a shot of alcohol. I've seen more powerful hairdryers...

For 50cc vs 125cc you have to take a few things into account...

As you've done your car test if you do your CBT(Compulsory Basic Training) now then you can ride a 50cc moped, limited to 30mph, forever...

If you want to ride a 125cc bike or a 50cc bike that does over 30mph then you will have to do your CBT and it will only last 2 years unless you take your full test or redo the CBT...

Tbh, i'd never want a 50cc bike limited to 30mph where i live but if you're planning on only ever riding around london it's the cheapest/easiest solution in the short term.

If you find after a year you want more power you can take your full test which will allow you to ride anything up to 33bhp(250cc roughly or restricted 500/600cc) or unlimited power. That will then also last forever...

If you have any more questions come over to the motorbike society. WE're very nice/helpful...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1446138
Reply 12
Original post by Bathwiggle
Providing he has provisional entitlement for A catagory on his license.

All car licenses should come with provisional p (moped) not all come with provision A (motorbike)!!!!

Therefore will need to check he has provisional A before getting a 125.

We do know the law. Read what he wrote. It was addressing the MOPED license.

You dont need provisonal A on it at all.

I've been stopped, had my license checked and everything is fine.

CBT + Car license = drive moped/motorbike with L plates
16 years old = 50cc max
17 years old = 125cc max

to go anything higher then you need to do a motorbike test.

Don't tell me because I've got a motorbike 125cc and drive it on a car license.

That has B, B1 and fkp .

You can drive a 125cc motorbike on a CBT but it only lasts two years.

Who ever has told you that you need provisional A on it has misinformed you.

Also, you do realise a motorbike 125cc with power restricted can be classed as a moped. Then once you do the motorbike test you get the restriction taken off.

You can ride a motorbike 125cc on a CBT at 17 but it must be below a certain power threshold.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jb9191
-

There is a reason for my sig.

You're not getting what chardonnay was trying to point out to you.
Reply 14
Original post by Bathwiggle
There is a reason for my sig.

You're not getting what chardonnay was trying to point out to you.

WOW !

I've competed in the last 3 British off road motorbike championships at 250cc class and 450cc class.

I care more about bikes than cars.

The fact is you do not need to pass a motorbike test to ride a motorbike upto 125cc.

You can do a CBT, get a 125cc motorbike, restrict the power on it and therefore under law it is classed as a moped.

Therefore, the OP could buy a Honda CRF 125cc and get a restrictor to stop it outputting as much power and therefore it would be classed as a moped so his P 122 on his license would cover him.

The CBT activates that P in fkp and the code 122 means restriction is lifted after a CBT is passed.
Original post by jb9191
stuff

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022430

Read that and then notice the few small errors you keep making. Thank you...
Original post by jb9191
-

1. off road isn't on road.
2. So?
3. where did anyone say you needed a test to ride a 125.

You can take over telling everyone about motorbikes and answering questions i'll go back to rebuilding my sv and bandit.
Reply 17
Original post by MHorman
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022430

Read that and then notice the few small errors you keep making. Thank you...

Oh no ! Epic Fail ! That only gives you the basic information. Don't believe everything on that website.

http://www.phmotorcycles.co.uk/training-faq.html

Read from a proper testing centre's website.

I have a full car licence, what can I ride?

If your licence was issued before 1st February 2001, then you can ride a 50cc moped, capable of not more than 30mph. Strangely enough, you will not need to display L plates, and you can carry a passenger if the motorcycle has a passenger seat and rear footrests. If you want to ride a motorcycle of over 50cc, up to 125cc, you must take Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), you must display L plates, and you must not carry passengers. The CBT certificate is valid for 2 years.

What if my full car licence was issued after 1st February 2001?

Then you will need to take Compulsory Basic training (CBT). Once you have completed this course, you will be able to ride a 50cc moped without L plates, until your licence expires at age 70, and you will also be able to ride a motorcycle of up to 125cc with L plates (no passengers allowed) for 2 years from the date you completed the CBT course.

That government website don't explain anything at all properly. Your best bet is to phone them up to have them confirm what I've just told you.

Also, you do realise that if this training company was lying then it would be liable for prosecution - They advertise based on the regulations set by the DVLA. I have worked for a local motorbike shop - my first job :smile:

I'm not having a go at you at all - just don't take that stupid government site to be genuine information.
Reply 18
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069867

If you have a full car licence you may ride motorcycles up to 125 cc and 11 kW power output, with L plates (and/or D plates in Wales), on public roads, but you MUST first satisfactorily complete a CBT course if you have not already done so.
As someone put above, DO NOT GET A CHINESE MOPED. They're useless.

Get a reputable italian make (as you know, italians are cool) such as a Piaggio or Vespa. I had a Piaggio Zip (2007) in black and it was great. It survived me skidding on it and now it has cool tiger scratches! My younger brother now uses it everyday to get to college. This is mine: http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/piaggio_zip_50_2010.php

I'm not a motoring person at all so that's all I can say on this matter!

Latest

Trending

Trending