The Student Room Group

Do you think there's anything wrong with letting a 9 year old boy play COD?

The user qwentyj has critcised my parents for letting my bro play black ops (this thread isn't criticising him btw! lol)
It's an 18 rated game for those who don't know.

Would you let your kids play it? :smile: I don't see anything wrong with it tbh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, I'd probably allow it. CoD's violence is overstated.
Reply 2
It depends. COD isn't for everybody. What is his kill/death rate?

Spoiler

Reply 3
My little brother plays it and he hasn't gone on any mad killing rampages yet from playing it. In fact he actually said he wouldn't join the army after playing it because of how quickly he gets killed in it!

So if anything it's a way to teach kids not to go to war.
Reply 4
Yep, my parents let me play violent games since i could work the various kinds of console when i was young lol.
Granted, violence werent as excessive in those days. due to graphics restraints and such, but the point still stands.
And i turned out fine =]

People like to place the blame on games when kids turn out violent .
When usually, it just comes down to bad parenting, the environment they are in etc.
I have heard of a few news stories of kids going crazy , and MAYBE acting something out of a game, but with the amount of games out there and the scope they cover.. ANYTHING we do can be said to come from games. But of those few stories i have read, i do remember noticing the mum just looked like a right **** who probably doesnt even tell their child they love him, and they are usually from a poor background and from a rough area where violence is a part of every day life, with gangs about, but.. ofcourse.. its the games fault.
It's perfectly fine, in proportion. Just when he first starts up the game - Black Ops / Modern Warfare 2, make sure he presses the button to DISABLE explicit graphics / levels (this does pop up) as they are rather graphic as described.. otherwise they're fine, especially the multiplayer which has minimal gore.
Reply 6

But seriously something which is violent and has age certification should be taken into account before letting a little one play a game.
Reply 7
My 11 year old sister plays it. Her K/D is around 1.00. She's pretty decent and I'm teaching her how to quickscope.
I wouldn't let my child, but then I wouldn't want them to have a games console of any kind really. Doesn't a 9 year old have better things to do than sit and stare at a screen?
Just don't let him use a headset.
Yes. My parents went OTT with it, to the point where I wasn't allowed to watch 15s til 15, 18s til 18 (seriously, easier to get in to the cinema than watch it at home...), but I think they had the right idea. The ratings are there for a reason. I would never let a 9 year old play CoD.

Edit: The yes is to the thread title, not the question at the end of the OP...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by pamelaa
The user qwentyj has critcised my parents for letting my bro play black ops (this thread isn't criticising him btw! lol)

Nah man, ratings are pointless unless it got some adult content in it.
Isn't there a scene in Black Ops where he places some broken glass in a guys mouth, then punches him?

That is not really what you want a 9 year old playing.
Original post by pamelaa

So I take it his criticism on FS has really got to you huh?
Reply 14
Original post by pamelaa

imo 9 is a little young, the kids perceptions aren't developed yet.
Reply 15
Original post by Doughnuts!!
So I take it his criticism on FS has really got to you huh?

Well he said they were irresponsible which I found quite offensive beause my mum and dad have always done whats right for me/my brother/sister.
Reply 16
Depends how mature he is, if he's mature i can't see why not. When i was 10 i was roaming the interwebz and people mistook me for beign 15. Then again, not everyone's like me :cool:
Depends if his name is Justin...

...Bieber. :awesome:
No I wouldnt even want my kids playing video games at that age, i'll make em go outside and do something active seeing how addictive games are! :eek:
Reply 19
At 9 he'd only be ripping butterflies' wings off and squishing spiders otherwise. I dare say CoD is less violent than what most 9-year-old boys do, considering it is obviously not real.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending