The Student Room Group

Having maaaaaaaajor doubts over degree choice...but I've already applied...

Scroll to see replies

Hah same here, I have an interview for Economics and Management at Oxford but I'd rather read physics tbh. I do enjoy Economics a lot, but I think my skills are more suited to physics and I'd probably enjoy it more. I do want a job in finance though :tongue: (there's just so much money :eek::colondollar:).
(edited 13 years ago)
This is exactly what happened to me last year so i know what you are going through. I had a place to study physiotherapy at kings college london but around april time this year i started to have major doubts about whether the degree was for me. I actually ended up pulling out and have re-applied this year to study english. My advice would be not to panic, keep going with this years application and work hard for your interview. However i would say maybe try and get some work experience in the degree area you now appear interested in, which seems to be becoming a vet. I did this with english and it helped me realise that english would be wayyyy better for me. Do you have subjects which could lead to becoming a vet because obviously if not then re-applying isn't really going to be an option and you would be better going with maths. I also made a list of the pros and cons of either way and the pros far outweighed the cons for me. Maybe try and find out if there was a careers path that you could follow with maths that would interest you. I was also told that graduate schemes accept any kind of degree so im pretty sure maths could lead to a variety of careers, you might just have to spend a while looking. For me, i couldnt bear to be stuck doing 3 years of physiotherapy so maybe consider that too. i hope this all helps and good luck :biggrin: and definitely don't give up on this years application because as some people have said above this could just be a bit of pre-degree/A2 exam nerves
Reply 22
Original post by phoebeimogen
This is exactly what happened to me last year so i know what you are going through. I had a place to study physiotherapy at kings college london but around april time this year i started to have major doubts about whether the degree was for me. I actually ended up pulling out and have re-applied this year to study english. My advice would be not to panic, keep going with this years application and work hard for your interview. However i would say maybe try and get some work experience in the degree area you now appear interested in, which seems to be becoming a vet. I did this with english and it helped me realise that english would be wayyyy better for me. Do you have subjects which could lead to becoming a vet because obviously if not then re-applying isn't really going to be an option and you would be better going with maths. I also made a list of the pros and cons of either way and the pros far outweighed the cons for me. Maybe try and find out if there was a careers path that you could follow with maths that would interest you. I was also told that graduate schemes accept any kind of degree so im pretty sure maths could lead to a variety of careers, you might just have to spend a while looking. For me, i couldnt bear to be stuck doing 3 years of physiotherapy so maybe consider that too. i hope this all helps and good luck :biggrin: and definitely don't give up on this years application because as some people have said above this could just be a bit of pre-degree/A2 exam nerves

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out :smile: I presume Maths, Chemistry and Physics would be fine, I have Biology to AS so I presume that could be fine there. Thank you for your reply anyhow :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Bananas01
Nah, it still looks pretty city boy yuppy type thing, which is exactly the thing I'm trying to avoid...

City boy ?

Working there means traveling 4 days a week at least. Pretty far from it if you ask me.
Original post by asdfg0987
Hah same here, I have an interview for Economics and Management at Oxford but I'd rather read physics tbh. I do enjoy Economics a lot, but I think my skills are more suited to physics and I'd probably enjoy it more. I do want a job in finance though :tongue: (there's just so much money :eek::colondollar:).

There's money in physics if you go into the right areas. If you do a Masters in Exploration Geophysics and work in the resource exploration industry then with a few years experience you will be on a six figure salary.
I know, I just use this profile to post stuff I wouldn't want my friends to see if they looked up my main account... I should really know better :sigh:

You got any more advice, seeing as you've been through something similar?

Hmm, advice...

Biggest thing I would say is don't let people you ask for advice use the uni prestige to put you off of changing your plans. "But it's Cambridge - you'd give up Cambridge!?" Completely ridiculous. My firm offer was for LSE, and since then I've had people saying to me, "You rejected the chance to get an LSE degree? You could have worked anywhere in the City and you're clearly intelligent - why would you want to study at Anglia Ruskin instead!? :lolwut:" Perhaps because I didn't want to work in the City, but do want to be an optometrist? But I digress...

It is the most unhelpful thing for them to say ... and yet, unless you remember why you're considering it, it is the thing that will put you off of doing it. Because you'll start to have 'I am giving up a one-time-only opportunity to chase a dream that may not be possible for many years' running through your head. And that's scary. I'm lucky I convinced an optometry school to accept me in the same year; alternate plan was work and study for different A-levels, maybe do an Access course, then apply a few years later, with no guarantee that it'll work. So that's on one hand, and on the other is this set of really good offers - which option is easier?

You're considering it for a reason, always remember that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Thanks for taking the time to type all that out :smile: I presume Maths, Chemistry and Physics would be fine, I have Biology to AS so I presume that could be fine there. Thank you for your reply anyhow :smile:

So you're honestly saying something like this doesn't appeal to you? It says it wants statistics, but I'm sure they'd accept maths from Cambridge.

Either way, I'm not you.
Reply 27
Original post by No Man
So you're honestly saying something like this doesn't appeal to you? It says it wants statistics, but I'm sure they'd accept maths from Cambridge.

Either way, I'm not you.

I can't really tell from that link, the way it is written is terrible, I don't think I could tell what the job's like after reading that :p:
Reply 28
Original post by MagicNMedicine
There's money in physics if you go into the right areas. If you do a Masters in Exploration Geophysics and work in the resource exploration industry then with a few years experience you will be on a six figure salary.

I know this isn't aimed at me, but it's on my thread so I'll go with it.

This is the type of attitude I absolutely detest. "There's money in XXX degree/job field". To be honest I don't really care about being rich, as long as I have enough to get by I'll be fine financially. There's tons of money in a maths degree, especially one from Cambridge/Warwick but the reason I applied is because I'm good at maths and it is the subject I prefer most out of the ones I study at school.

But I'd much rather have a job I'd enjoy, I'm plenty sure I'd enjoy a maths degree as much as any other, but most of the jobs you can get at the end of it just sound terrible. Fair enough they can land you on a "six figure salary" but why would you want to do a job you detest just for the money? Some people would, but I know I'm not one of those people.

This is the type of attitude I absolutely detest. "There's money in XXX degree/job field". To be honest I don't really care about being rich, as long as I have enough to get by I'll be fine financially. There's tons of money in a maths degree, especially one from Cambridge/Warwick but the reason I applied is because I'm good at maths and it is the subject I prefer most out of the ones I study at school.

But I'd much rather have a job I'd enjoy, I'm plenty sure I'd enjoy a maths degree as much as any other, but most of the jobs you can get at the end of it just sound terrible. Fair enough they can land you on a "six figure salary" but why would you want to do a job you detest just for the money? Some people would, but I know I'm not one of those people.

Have you ... stolen my approach to the future? :lolwut: I remember saying pretty much those exact words to my family.
1st: Okay, try to wait till after the interview to fead your doubts, so you can be sure, that if it isn't only "Oh my gooood, I decided my whole life with this interview, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH". After actually facing the "point of decision" you'll never be sure. Getting out of interview, you will see much clearer. (Just because pressure will decrease and you have time to rethink your choice.)

2nd: You can work in engineering related field as computatonal mechanics, aerodynamics, software engineering or dynamics. Why don't you want to work in the finance sector? (If you e.g. only dislike investment banking, you shouldn't forget that economics/finance is needed in every company or NGO's, too.) Statistics? --> Connection to Sociology/Politics

3nd: You should choose your course not only in regard to career prospects but "passion"(Can't find another word by now.) Do you enjoy reading Euklid or are you interested in the work of Hilbert or Ramanujan? Look at some university books and think seriously if you can spend hours (or better said: three years) with them. Good grades can bring you further and allow you to consider wider career options.

4th: There is allways the option to change after one year without conisder yourself as failure.
Reply 31
Original post by TheSownRose
Have you ... stolen my approach to the future? :lolwut: I remember saying pretty much those exact words to my family.

Well to be fair we are in pretty similar situations :tongue:

I'm sure there's plenty of people like this too, I never seem to meet any of them.
Well to be fair we are in pretty similar situations :tongue:

I'm sure there's plenty of people like this too, I never seem to meet any of them.

I know someone that went the other way, but I daresay they're not really helpful... :s-smilie:

Have you made a pro and con list about this situation?
Original post by No Man
You could be a statistician and count endangered animals, or something.

I lol'd :tongue:

I can't see myself ever having your kind of mentality, but if it works for you then go for it :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by MagicNMedicine

Hmm is it same as this course? http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/earthscienceandengineering/courses/postgraduatecourses/mscgeophysics. But I think it's too late to change majors anyway.

Spoiler

Reply 35
I know someone that went the other way, but I daresay they're not really helpful... :s-smilie:

Have you made a pro and con list about this situation?

Not yet, what sort of stuff did you have listed down that were pros and cons if I may ask?
Original post by Nathanielle
3nd: You should choose your course not only in regard to career prospects but "passion"(Can't find another word by now.) Do you enjoy reading Euklid or are you interested in the work of Hilbert or Ramanujan? Look at some university books and think seriously if you can spend hours (or better said: three years) with them. Good grades can bring you further and allow you to consider wider career options.

Not always great advice. I find optometry extremely interesting, I enjoy studying it and know it is the career I want for reasons I shan't be getting into here, but I wouldn't say it's my big passion in life. My 'passion' is meteorology ... but I wouldn't want a job in it, so better to aim for the job I want and keep meteorology as a hobby.
Reply 37
Not always great advice. I find optometry extremely interesting, I enjoy studying it and know it is the career I want for reasons I shan't be getting into here, but I wouldn't say it's my big passion in life. My 'passion' is meteorology ... but I wouldn't want a job in it, so better to aim for the job I want and keep meteorology as a hobby.

What was in the cons list for Maths might I ask? Seeing as that might be more relevant for me :tongue:
Reply 38
Ok there are two points.

1. Maths degrees are pretty open. In fact I'd say they're one of the most open degrees you can get. A lot of people think it's either finance or teaching and that's that. But there's also computing/IT, many many other businessy jobs, further research, stats, insurance and accounting and the like, modelling for scientific companies etc etc etc, and on top of that the degree gives you skills which you can apply to mostly anything like civil service or something, as a lot of degrees do. Just be aware of the options. Perhaps email someone at a uni you've applied to's careers dept., they'll probably be happy to advise, or go talk to connexions etc. That can help you check there isn't a route you've missed.

2. What I'd advise is to have a proper deep think now and decide within say, the next month? Perhaps a week before the UCAS deadline or something. Don't be scared about maybe even putting uni off for a year, or asking to change your choice with unis you get an offer at, or similar, because it's much better to do any of that than to end up dropping out part way through because you don't like it, having wasted time and money.
Only thing I'm unsure about is Cambridge, don't know how much you really want to go there and whether you'd have a chance to if you didn't stick with maths now, but at the end of the day you can do great at any university. But of course, you have to factor in this to your decision, if you really want to go there.

Hope you get it sorted out and end up in a degree you enjoy,
xxxx
Having a Maths degree won't limit you to working in a Maths related job. I know someone who did a Maths degree and then a Linguistics PhD, and went on to do a whole array of jobs, none of them requiring degree-level mathematics.

You can always do a conversion after your first degree if you change your mind. I believe there are Vet Med postgraduate programmes out there.

Alongside this, one of the great things about Cambridge is that, because of the Tripos system, if you're really not happy doing the subject you've chosen, you can change course (although I think for that you may have to complete a year of Maths first.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending