The Student Room Group

Do you think there's anything wrong with letting a 9 year old boy play COD?

Scroll to see replies

Kids play violent games using their imaginations anyway. When I was a kid we used to pretend to be soldiers all the time, we'd use the spiky conker shells as grenades and hurl them at people. Unsurprisingly a fair few people got hurt when hit in the face with them.
I'd say the campaign should be off-limits to them but the actual gore in the multiplayer is pretty tame. There's a filter as well for strong language and gore I believe..
Nothing wrong with it, and the 18 rating only means you have to be 18 to buy the game not play it. Plus at the end of the day if anyone is crazy enough to go on a killing spree because they played a game, lets be honest they probably would have done it anyway and are just using the game as an excuse.
Reply 23
I don't see a problem with it. So long as he understands that it's just a game and he is taught wrong from right then it shouldn't do him any harm.

I was playing violent video games from that age and apart from a few murders, I turned out fine.
Yes.
I was never allowed to play violent video games at that age, but my brother was (he's 12 now).
Oddly enough, my parents let my brother play games with violence in, but not ones with a lot of swearing. o.O
Don't let them play it. They're so ****ing annoying.

We spent our childhood playing pokemon etc., he spends his going around killing people on at 18+ game? I can't see anything good coming out of that tbh.
QwentyJ
x

You're famous. :teehee:
Original post by Einheri
At 9 he'd only be ripping butterflys' wings off and squishing spiders otherwise. I dare say CoD is less violent than what most 9-ear-old boys do, considering it is obviously not real.

WHAT?! :eek:
I was murdering street walkers on GTA at age 9 and there's nothing wrong with me, if you don't count the recurring wet dreams I get where I'm murdering prostitutes. But that's nothing therapy can't sort out.
Reply 30
Original post by lovely_me
You're famous. :teehee:

Cheers!

Right. Hold on a second.

Original post by Tommyjw
Yep, my parents let me play violent games since i could work the various kinds of console when i was young lol.
Granted, violence werent as excessive in those days. due to graphics restraints and such, but the point still stands.
And i turned out fine =]

People like to place the blame on games when kids turn out violent .
When usually, it just comes down to bad parenting, the environment they are in etc.
I have heard of a few news stories of kids going crazy , and MAYBE acting something out of a game, but with the amount of games out there and the scope they cover.. ANYTHING we do can be said to come from games. But of those few stories i have read, i do remember noticing the mum just looked like a right **** who probably doesnt even tell their child they love him, and they are usually from a poor background and from a rough area where violence is a part of every day life, with gangs about, but.. ofcourse.. its the games fault.

I was arguing it from a gamer's perspective. As someone who's an avid pc gamer - I hate it when games get slagged off by parents and everyone in the media for inciting violence. If you ensure that children are playing the right kind of game, then that accusation byt the media and parents becomes hogwash because the person who plays the game understands. I mean you can't get children into an 18 film, so I just think parents need to be more aware.

Original post by pamelaa
Well he said they were irresponsible which I found quite offensive beause my mum and dad have always done whats right for me/my brother/sister.

A) I'm sorry if I offended you, but I think you took it the wrong way, Spamela.
B) All I meant was that parents as a whole need to be more aware of the games children play. At 9, I think children should be learning about other things rather than mega pwning n00bs.
Original post by Addzter
I was murdering street walkers on GTA at age 9 and there's nothing wrong with me, if you don't count the recurring wet dreams I get where I'm murdering prostitutes. But that's nothing therapy can't sort out.

'Please rate some other members before rating this member again.'

Such a shame. :puppyeyes:
Reply 32
depends if you let him use a mic
no. user qwentyj is a moron.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
Me and my mates played games like GTA before we were even teenagers. That game sure did turn us into car-jacking, bank robbing drug addicts.

Not.
Reply 35
Original post by toofaforu

Original post by toofaforu
no. user qwentyj is a moron.

Takes one to know one I guess.
Wouldn't say it's wrong but it's certainly not good for the boy
Reply 37
I'm not buying any of the bull**** the media come up with that a game/movie caused someone to go amok, but I would not let my kids plays COD when they are 9.

That is way too young. I would want my kids to go out and play outside and not be stuck inside anyway, so I would not even buy them a console.

They could not possibly utilise all the tactical gameplay. And the fact they would get abused on voip.
I've played violent games since I was 6.. I wouldn't hurt a fly.
Original post by lovely_me
'Please rate some other members before rating this member again.'

Such a shame. :puppyeyes:

If it's any consolation, TSR has told me that many-a-time when trying to rate your posts, lovely_me (lovely_you?). We're just too goddamn hi-larious for this forum! :closedeyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending