The Student Room Group

Create modern-day workhouses

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sandys1000
In reality there would be no choice. Without benefits it would be between starving and going into the workhouse.

Exactly. They have a choice. I didn't say I liked the idea, I was just explaining the point that they do have a choice.

I'm not really sure why I don't like it. The logical middle class **** in me loves it. It just doesn't quite seem right. Oh well.
...No, seriously, just...no
Forced slavery is a wonderful idea isn't it :rolleyes:

Without even lookingat the economic consequences of this the basic fact your segregating people from society just because they're poor is disgusting enough.
Reply 23
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
Ignore the negative connotations that relates to Victorian workhouses, here are my proposals for a modern-day workhouse:

- For families and individuals who are unable to sustain themselves in society - either through long-term unemployment, bankruptcy, etc. This would be instead of throwing taxpayers' money at them every week and housing them in council houses.

- Would be in the form of small communities, in university hall-like residences. There would be flats with rooms that include en-suites, communal areas and cafeterias. Families could choose to live in a flat, or individuals would be placed with other individuals in a flat.

- Rent, water, electricity, internet, catered food (and so on) would all be free, on the condition that residents work in on-site facilities (such as factories).

- Residents would also receive an allowance for leisure, clothes, and so on.

This would aim to be a temporary measure, and residents would use this as a means to get back on their feet and gain valuable work experience. The workhouse would eventually help them to gain a long-term job, housing, etc.

Thoughts?

I think this is an absolutely appalling idea - taking away people's dignity and freedom like that is disgusting.
Original post by sandys1000
Is it not a worrying step to be effectively taking people's liberty away from them simply because of their financial circumstances?

But is there anything wrong per se in helping people to help themselves? This is what welfare should really be about. The OP's plan could work for the homeless or long-term unemployed.
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
Ignore the negative connotations that relates to Victorian workhouses, here are my proposals for a modern-day workhouse:

- For families and individuals who are unable to sustain themselves in society - either through long-term unemployment, bankruptcy, etc. This would be instead of throwing taxpayers' money at them every week and housing them in council houses.

- Would be in the form of small communities, in university hall-like residences. There would be flats with rooms that include en-suites, communal areas and cafeterias. Families could choose to live in a flat, or individuals would be placed with other individuals in a flat.

- Rent, water, electricity, internet, catered food (and so on) would all be free, on the condition that residents work in on-site facilities (such as factories).

- Residents would also receive an allowance for leisure, clothes, and so on.

This would aim to be a temporary measure, and residents would use this as a means to get back on their feet and gain valuable work experience. The workhouse would eventually help them to gain a long-term job, housing, etc.

Thoughts?

How would you get people to sign up for it?

Why not simply let people stay in their own homes/residences, but put them in mandatory rehabilitation/back to work programmes?
Original post by rajandkwameali
But is there anything wrong per se in helping people to help themselves? This is what welfare should really be about. The OP's plan could work for the homeless or long-term unemployed.

No, of course not. But effectively forcing people into institutions when they have done nothing wrong seems to me to be a dangerous step. The homeless and long-term unemployed should recieve assistance, but need to maintain independance. I actually think that this system would make it more difficult for people to return to work.
Reply 27
Original post by Maker
People will just stay there for years because they get institutionalised and can't live outside and loose the will to find jobs.

That already happens at college / uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending