The Student Room Group

Why do all the kids these days omit "to"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
I am a grammar nazi. When I hear things like this, a part of me dies inside

I feel sorry for you.
Original post by chinaberry
No one says that.

Yes they do...certainly in London anyway.
Reply 22
to economise energy. also the only one of your examples i've heard is the 'come train station tonight' one, except it's usually 'come seafront' or something.
Reply 23
It's just their accent and where they come from :confused:

A few adults talk that way, too.
Reply 24
My mum: "Go study in the UK, you'll get a beautiful English accent."
She is going to be so disappointed...
Reply 25
Original post by Sorenfors
My mum: "Go study in the UK, you'll get a beautiful English accent."
She is going to be so disappointed...

If you want a good English accent go to the West Country :smile:
Original post by Dream Weaver
me neither

Iv got to say, mad love for the signature! I cant even decide which one i love the most, they are all great!
Original post by Arekkusu
Now I'm not usually ever some sort of grammar Nazi and certainly not a linguistic prescriptivist, but have people always said things like I'm going shop or come train station tonight or I've never been Scotland?

It annoys me a bit.

I really don't like going to school in (just outside of London part) Essex.. a lot of the kids speak like that - excluding me.

"come train station"
"come shop"

To be frank, I never really noticed it until I entered this thread though. Normal language for me to be around I guess.
Reply 28
Original post by Markh1000
Yes they do...certainly in London anyway.

Which part of London are you from?
Original post by rlw31
Which part of London are you from?

South east.
Original post by chinaberry
No one says that.

What annoys me more is everyone saying 'actually' these days. Like, 'I actually can't wait' or 'That was actually immense'. Just gets on my nerves so much. Lots of other trends too, like saying something's 'highly amusing' amongst others.

like, Oh my gosh I totes just got off my gap yah this September, went skiing in the french alps, payed a visit to Val D'isere. it was like actual heaven, I actually couldn't believe how immersive it was.

Amaze
I've seen it written on facebook etc, but most people I know don't actually speak that way :smile:.
It happens where I live. Might go Newcastle this weekend, actually, need to go in Ryman to get notebooks. Hope they have the right colours. <3

Edit: I'm surprised many of you haven't come across this; you must all be well-educated. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by rylit91
Yes, I've heard this. I'm not sure of its derivation, but it rather sounds like the Northern habit of omitting the word 'the' and substituting it with 't'. "Come t' train station."

So I wouldn't have thought of it as new, rather, an evolution of an already existing linguistic 'tradition'.

This does my head in! "T'other day" and "up t'road" - when I hear people say stuff like this it just drives me insane!!

Neg rep for stating my opinion? :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
It's a regional thing.

Often, if people have grown up speaking the dialect, rather than just putting it on or being lazy, you'll hear a 't' sound (often written as "I'm going down t'shop") - sometimes it's pronounced more than others.

It's hard to transcribe though, it's a sort of half pronounced letter.
(edited 13 years ago)
You my friend are sad and need to get a hobby is this is at the top of your issue list lol.
I'm from Milton Keynes and I've never heard anyone say that. I'd be gutted if I heard someone say that tbh.
Reply 37
I think the preposition is left out because the speaker doesn't use it in such a contruction in his mother tongue.
Reply 38
I hear it all the time too (in London). I don't really find it that annoying considering some of the other things I hear kids say.
Reply 39
I've moved all over the UK and I've never heard anyone saying that, except as someone mentioned people in the North-West who go "I'm going in t'garden"

What I find really annoying is misuse of the word "literally". "I was literally dying inside!"- no you bloody well weren't!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending