The Student Room Group

Having maaaaaaaajor doubts over degree choice...but I've already applied...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TheSownRose
No, that makes perfect sense - been there before, don't forget. :wink: Been there before feeling like you're the only one, like you don't know where it's coming from, like you're hiding this big secret. I remember the warm summer night I spent in the garden until midnight, looking up at the stars and drinking lemonade whilst just trying to think it through.

Part of the luxury of having everyone else believe that you have plans is that they leave you alone to figure out what it is you do want; I have no doubt that, had my parents known I was questioning it, they'd have been rushing me to make a decision ... and you can't just do something like that.

Now, the wobble vs. genuine problem is a bigger issue. How long have you been having these doubts for, and can you try and identify where they stem from?

Well basically, about a year ago I was thinking of Vet Med. Then i changed to Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, back to Engineering for quite a while then I thought I'd finally settled on Maths. So that what I applied with. I've always thought being a Vet would be a good job throughout all this but never thought it "degree material" if you know what I mean?

I think it's arising again and started about 2-3 weeks ago. Only as a faint whisper at first but it's grown ever since. I really don't know what to do, I'm dithering at the moment, I think I should just go with Maths until after my interview on Thursday anyway, then maybe worry about it, tell my parents and stuff after that. I don't know what to do.
Reply 61
Original post by asdfg0987
What board are you giving it from? I didn't consider applying for Physics until a few days before sending my app off...

assuming you're asking for my exam board, which is edexcel
Reply 62
Original post by angelmxxx
Ok, on the biology for vet issue (also note that the 15th October deadline applies to vet med too so obviously you'd need a gap year):

Cambridge - no biology but I'd imagine they'd ask you Biology questions in the interview...definitely would be worth ringing up colleges to see if not having Biology would hinder you/if they ever accept people without it. You must have Chemistry.

Edinburgh - Need Chemistry and Biology.
AAB from Chemistry (A), Biology and Physics/Maths.

Glasgow - Chemistry at grade A and (Biology or Physics or Mathematics).

Nottingham - Biology at grade A and Chemistry at grade A and Any subject related to the course at grade B.

RVC - Biology and Chemistry.

Liverpool - 3 A levels in Biology, one other academic science-related subject and any other subject, excluding General Studies which is acceptable as the fourth subject at A or AS level. If Chemistry is not offered at A level, grade B at AS level is required. A

Bristol - Chemistry, Biology and one other academic subject.
They do a 6year course for people with the 'wrong' A levels but as you have Chemistry you can't apply for that.

They're the only courses which will qualify you to be a vet.

Can I add that I'm Scottish and got AAAAA in my highers, in maths, physics, chemistry, human biology and english. Human bio was the only bio offered at my school :mad:

Currently taking AH's in Chem, Maths and Physics.

I know doing Scottish exams shakes things up a bit, can you help me now you know this please?
Original post by Bananas01
Well basically, about a year ago I was thinking of Vet Med. Then i changed to Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, back to Engineering for quite a while then I thought I'd finally settled on Maths. So that what I applied with. I've always thought being a Vet would be a good job throughout all this but never thought it "degree material" if you know what I mean?

I think it's arising again and started about 2-3 weeks ago. Only as a faint whisper at first but it's grown ever since. I really don't know what to do, I'm dithering at the moment, I think I should just go with Maths until after my interview on Thursday anyway, then maybe worry about it, tell my parents and stuff after that. I don't know what to do.

I swear, you've practically stolen my path to uni, only condensed it a little bit and changed a few of the detail - course names, etc. I love it when this happens, somehow it's exciting. Is that very sad? :lol:

It doesn't seem to be something you're thinking about on a whim, I will say that much. What first appealed about maths, what made you decide on doing it as a degree?

Do agree that less than a week from your interview is not the time to be trying to change. You could find that it's interview nerves that'll go once that's done, or that it gets more definite. There's nothing you can do to get into vet med this year, so you can make any final decisions at a later stage.

How do you feel about Cambridge? Looking forward to the interview? What college?
Reply 64
I swear, you've practically stolen my path to uni, only condensed it a little bit and changed a few of the detail - course names, etc. I love it when this happens, somehow it's exciting. Is that very sad? :lol:

It doesn't seem to be something you're thinking about on a whim, I will say that much. What first appealed about maths, what made you decide on doing it as a degree?

Do agree that less than a week from your interview is not the time to be trying to change. You could find that it's interview nerves that'll go once that's done, or that it gets more definite. There's nothing you can do to get into vet med this year, so you can make any final decisions at a later stage.

How do you feel about Cambridge? Looking forward to the interview? What college?

It's Kings College Cambridge I applied to. Cambridge is obviously a great institution and I'd love to study at one of these "really clever people places" I call them, coined when I visited Harvard when on holiday to Boston :wink: But I might just like the idea, I don't suppose I've thought of the reality of doing this, it might not be for me, and the subject for which I'm applying might not be for me.

The interview preparation is going OK - not great but not badly either. I just need to get confident in some more things then I should be just about ready to give it my best shot.

Maths is just something that makes sense to me, everything can be explained and it's good thorough and logical and I do like it. It's the subject I enjoy most at school, and I'm pretty good at it, so I thought seeing as I like it and I'm good at it I'm going to apply. I guess I sort of used the "maths is one of, if not the most versatile degrees" mentality to think I could do whatever I want with it, but now I've looked at it, 90% of those jobs seem like absolute hell.
See if you'll enjoy the interview and see if you feel whilst being at Cambridge and doing a maths interview you think you'll enjoy it. Also, there are jobs more towards the engineering side of things? Or statistics which is close to finance but doesn't have to be :smile:
It's Kings College Cambridge I applied to. Cambridge is obviously a great institution and I'd love to study at one of these "really clever people places" I call them, coined when I visited Harvard when on holiday to Boston :wink: But I might just like the idea, I don't suppose I've thought of the reality of doing this, it might not be for me, and the subject for which I'm applying might not be for me.

The interview preparation is going OK - not great but not badly either. I just need to get confident in some more things then I should be just about ready to give it my best shot.

Maths is just something that makes sense to me, everything can be explained and it's good thorough and logical and I do like it. It's the subject I enjoy most at school, and I'm pretty good at it, so I thought seeing as I like it and I'm good at it I'm going to apply. I guess I sort of used the "maths is one of, if not the most versatile degrees" mentality to think I could do whatever I want with it, but now I've looked at it, 90% of those jobs seem like absolute hell.

Ooh, very central. Always reckoned I'd prefer an outer college like Girton, but Kings is certainly good for impressive architecture, and right by the Cam. Hope your interview goes well. :smile:

Yeah, the old 'versatile degree' can be a double-edged sword - on one hand, great if you want to increase your prospects in the future. On the other, if what you enjoy now isn't likely to take you somewhere you want, it's difficult to decide - do what you enjoy now and pay later, or 'suffer' now for the future?

If someone told you you had the opportunity to do whatever you want (within reason) without any problems, what would you choose?
Reply 67
Ooh, very central. Always reckoned I'd prefer an outer college like Girton, but Kings is certainly good for impressive architecture, and right by the Cam. Hope your interview goes well. :smile:

Yeah, the old 'versatile degree' can be a double-edged sword - on one hand, great if you want to increase your prospects in the future. On the other, if what you enjoy now isn't likely to take you somewhere you want, it's difficult to decide - do what you enjoy now and pay later, or 'suffer' now for the future?

If someone told you you had the opportunity to do whatever you want (within reason) without any problems, what would you choose?

To do what ever I want (outwith reason at the moment!) would definitely be a Vet Med/Maths joint degree. But seeing as that doesn't and will never exist, I really don't know what I'd want to to. It would definitely be a toss up between Vet Med and Maths.

Maths - I enjoy, but job prospects I'd mostly hate.

Vet Med - Possible a less enjoyable degree, but would lead me into a job I'd enjoy more.

It's a toughy.
To do what ever I want (outwith reason at the moment!) would definitely be a Vet Med/Maths joint degree. But seeing as that doesn't and will never exist, I really don't know what I'd want to to. It would definitely be a toss up between Vet Med and Maths.

Maths - I enjoy, but job prospects I'd mostly hate.

Vet Med - Possible a less enjoyable degree, but would lead me into a job I'd enjoy more.

It's a toughy.

That is pretty much the same problem - do something you really like now but pay for it in the future, or do something you enjoy but isn't your 'passion' in order to give yourself the better future.

Is there any prospect in maths that you would enjoy?
You don't just have to go into finance with a degree in Maths. There are many jobs in Management, IT and Law that all accept people from all degree disciplines. If you really enjoy maths and think you enjoy it and are good at it enough to get a 2:1 or a first then I'd say stick to Maths.
Also, when you get to University there is no harm in finding out what other options you have. You might have the option to move to another course and then you can work out what you want to do.
Bananas is this part of interview nerves? When you are on the threshold of something big , which is also something which you have to commit to, and you have to therefore give up other things which you might like, then having doubts and questions is normal......almost like firming things up in your mind before taking the plunge to commit to maths.
Being a vet isnt easy, getting into vet school is really hard and you haven't got any vet work experience so I say stick with what you know and what you are good at and relish your interview chance.
See if you can organise time with your local vet over the holidays after your interview. I once met a vetinary epidemiologist- you could always do vet med as a postgrad.
Reply 71
That is pretty much the same problem - do something you really like now but pay for it in the future, or do something you enjoy but isn't your 'passion' in order to give yourself the better future.

Is there any prospect in maths that you would enjoy?

I really don't know, to be honest I haven't found one yet. Is it possible to do a postgrad in Vet Med?
I really don't know, to be honest I haven't found one yet. Is it possible to do a postgrad in Vet Med?

Yes, but I believe they all ask for a biological science based first degree for it. :s-smilie: You'd have to do it as a second degree.
Reply 73
Yes, but I believe they all ask for a biological science based first degree for it. :s-smilie: You'd have to do it as a second degree.

Ooh that's a bugger. You wouldn't happen to know about funding issues with Scottish students doing second degrees would you? I realise I may be stretching you now :tongue:
Ooh that's a bugger. You wouldn't happen to know about funding issues with Scottish students doing second degrees would you? I realise I may be stretching you now :tongue:

Sorry, I think we've gone past the limits of my knowledge now. :lol: Try phoning SAAS?

Ok, found this. http://www.student-support-saas.gov.uk/faqs_special_circumstances.htm#special1
Reply 76

Hmm, I'll probably email them - what if I go to an English university for the first degree then a Scottish for the second? :holmes:

Dunno why we're discussing this, I still don't know which I want to do for my first degree :lol:
Hmm, I'll probably email them - what if I go to an English university for the first degree then a Scottish for the second? :holmes:

Dunno why we're discussing this, I still don't know which I want to do for my first degree :lol:

No, no, that's true. :wink: Still, better to know all the options available.

Surely, since Scottish students get there tuition fees paid for them, you should be funded for 2 degrees if you wish...unless this changes within the next few years :s-smilie:
As TheSownRose said previously, phone SAAS. If you could do 2 degrees with your tuition fees being paid for you, then it'll be much cheaper than studying in England.

Anyways, back to the topic of your thread...if you are still unsure of whether you really want to study Maths or Vet Med, then why not still carry on with your preparation/interviews for your Maths degree as planned, and possibly put a firm offer on one of your choices. After you've done this, then maybe you shoud take a few months to think about what it is you want to do, and try and arrange some work experience in a vet surgery for over the summer holidays (this should give you some more of an idea about if this is something you'd like to pursue as a career.) If it is, then you just have to prepare for the UKCAT exam (if applicable to Vet Med and sit it sometime over the summer - between July and October. You would then apply in August/September of next year and make sure your application is in by middle of October.

However, if you decide that you really want to study maths, then go ahead (at hopefully you should have a few offers to choose from)! :smile:
Reply 79
how fun does AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING sound? awesome huh? that's (also) maths for ya :wink: i think.
i do further maths and am totally regretting not taking physics as well as economics because i hated it at gcse level (was SO boring). but these days i'm finding i enjoy mechanics and am interested in what physics'd be like at a level. now all i'm really stuck with is economics/maths and no engineering courses to study at uni :'(

Quick Reply

Latest