The Student Room Group

Help - Where can I go with these grades?

Hey,

Due to a bunch of factors during sixth form, I only managed to get 3 C grades at A level.

Realistically speaking, will I be able to get into anything other than a polytechnic if I decide to drop out now, redo my UCAS and re-apply?

I am interested in studying the following areas -

English (either language or literature)
Philosophy
Journalism

Would A level results matter less if I choose to transfer after 1 year?

I am currently at a uni which doesn't suit my tastes, is too expensive for what I'm doing and gives little incentive to get involved in uni 'life' here.

I've already done a gap year so I will have to work if I go home early, which doesn't bother me in particular.

Guys, I know alot of people will tell me to do my own research, and I AM! But I figured why the hell not? Why not put a topic up on here and see if anyone
IS / WAS in the same situation as me?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Scroll to see replies

You won't be able to get into a polytechnic.
Reply 2
I'm already in one...
Reply 3
Saying that, I am not sure if that takes into account my AS levels too, need to check.
Original post by Midnight12
I'm already in one...

I highly doubt that.
Reply 5
If that's what you wanna do I'd say go back to college once you've dropped out. That way you can go to a uni you actually want to go to, doing a course you actually want to do. Takes one or two more years but at the end of it you're actually happy.
Reply 6
Original post by hg345
If that's what you wanna do I'd say go back to college once you've dropped out. That way you can go to a uni you actually want to go to, doing a course you actually want to do. Takes one or two more years but at the end of it you're actually happy.

This. Or just try and push through what you are doing now.
Reply 7
Original post by TheSownRose
I highly doubt that.

are you just being picky about it being an ex-poly not a poly? or do you really think none of them will accept 3 c's?
Reply 8
live on the dole, loser....
I highly doubt that.

Why do you doubt they are at a polytechnic now? :s-smilie:
Original post by mehhh.....hi.
Why do you doubt they are at a polytechnic now? :s-smilie:

Original post by curtis871
are you just being picky about it being an ex-poly not a poly? or do you really think none of them will accept 3 c's?

That's the one - all the polytechnics changed to unis in 1992, so unless we've gone back in time, OP is not at a poly.
That's the one - all the polytechnics changed to unis in 1992, so unless we've gone back in time, OP is not at a poly.

Oh yeahh sorry, I didn't read, my bad :redface:
Reply 12
Original post by bufferz
live on the dole, loser....

Haha, ironically aside from this area I'm probably a lot less of a loser than you, but lets not get into an argument over the internet, despite the fact you want one :wink:

Next time you go to write that on someone elses thread, just realise that the type of person who writes something like that .... well, I don't need to explain do I? (Unless your more of a moron than I am currently giving you credit for :biggrin:), but thanks for trying.

fair enough and OP i doubt you'd have trouble transferring using CATS scheme which many places use. just check for each one your interested in.
Reply 14
And ok Sownrose thats fair enough by the way, I thought I was. Any other ideas?
And ok Sownrose thats fair enough by the way, I thought I was. Any other ideas?

There are a few options open to you:

1) Re-do some A-level exams, boost your grades and apply to unis based on those.

2) If you're happy with your course, see if you can transfer - some unis will still care about A-levels, some will just use your first year results.

3) See if any will take your first year results into consideration and change course.
Reply 16
Cheers, just out of curiosity - how come the CATS scheme has no official website as far as I can see after a few searches?
Cheers, just out of curiosity - how come the CATS scheme has no official website as far as I can see after a few searches?

i've not found one but have seen useful info on universities own sites i can check through my history tomorrow and post some that i found if you still need them then
Reply 18
That'd be great, cheers.
Reply 19
Haha, ironically aside from this area I'm probably a lot less of a loser than you, but lets not get into an argument over the internet, despite the fact you want one :wink:

Next time you go to write that on someone elses thread, just realise that the type of person who writes something like that .... well, I don't need to explain do I? (Unless your more of a moron than I am currently giving you credit for :biggrin:), but thanks for trying.

cool story, Bro

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending