The Student Room Group

Is Subway junk food?

Does it fall into the same category as McDonalds and Burger King, or not? I just feel bad after eating it, as I've always considered it to be 'junk food'.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In the same way McDonalds have taken that whole quasi-healthy slant towards their menus, Subway are the epitome of that sense of false, health-conscious consumer marketing.
Everything apart from celery is junk-food.
I never feel bad after a subway. But I don't get a load of **** in mine........chicken and lettuce only :p:

I can see why some people would though, if they got ****loads of sauces, cheese, bacon and what not.
Depends if your food conscious and lightly fill it with fat free turkey and salad, or wether your like me and have essentially a meat feast pizza loaded in a bread roll :banana2:
Never understood how people can call Subway unhealthy - it's bread and salad ffs. It's only unhealthy if you put sauce in it!
Original post by CookieDoughLove
I never feel bad after a subway. But I don't get a load of **** in mine........chicken and lettuce only :p:

I can see why some people would though, if they got ****loads of sauces, cheese, bacon and what not.

Ironic, being as your name is :tongue:
Reply 7
I generally feel a bit bad.
I get tuna, cheese, salad and mayo on wheat.. but i'm still pretty sure its bad! you can literally taste the salt in the tuna, i think thats why it tastes so good :coma:
I only get salad and bbq sauce in mine. Not even any cheese, so I'm pretty sure it's not junky :smile:
Original post by dd4483
Does it fall into the same category as McDonalds and Burger King, or not? I just feel bad after eating it, as I've always considered it to be 'junk food'.

Yes it is. The sandwiches contain large amounts of salt, and the simple carbohydrates spike your insulin levels, which means you absorb the fat from the meat/cheese in the sandwich. Not a healthy option. To top that off, if you get a sugary drink and a cookie with it, your blood sugar will spike even more, making things worse.

Plus in an hour or so, when your insulin levels inevitably drop you'll crash and feel hungry again.
Meatball Marinaras are much worse than a Big Mac. The healthy propaganda started when Subway compared it's healthy range with some of the least healthy things on the McDonalds menu, so it was just slightly biased. For the range of menu Subway is probably about the same as McDonalds: the healthiest options are comparable and the least healthy options are comparable. Foot-long sandwiches are comparable to buying two burgers though...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
I could't care less tbh.

Meatball marinara :drool: with jalapenos...
Original post by In the looney bin
Ironic, being as your name is :tongue:

I don't eat cookie dough on a regular basis :frown: it was just an obsession of mine when I first joined up to this site......

Having said that, my Gran's coming to visit me Dec 14th and she is wanting to go to Pizza Hut.......cookie dough :sexface:
Reply 13
subway prices are a rip off
Of course it's junk! Have you seen all the processed meat? And so much salt! Just because you put salad in it doesn't make it healthy.

It is soooooo delicious though. Calculated, informed health risk FTW.
Meatball Marinara... Double meat and cheese. Yes Please. I will personally shake the hand of anyone that manages to consume the entire thing without spilling it down their front. Probably a heart attack in bread... but it tastes so good, it's probably worth it. :smile:
It tastes good, so yes.
Six inch Meatball Marinaras have the salt and fat equivalent of nine packets of Walkers crisps. So a footlong would be the equivalent of eighteen.

(I worked at Subway at the time that information came out - think it was on a TV documentary or something - and we were even sent a brief on what to say to customers if they brought it up... hahaha)

The lowfat subs are fine though. I always have a veggie delight, which is just cheese and salad, on honey oat bread with one of the lower fat sauces. Nom nom nom.
Reply 18
Original post by screenager2004
Never understood how people can call Subway unhealthy - it's bread and salad ffs. It's only unhealthy if you put sauce in it!

Ingredients for the bread: Enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, barley malt, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate,
riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, high fructose corn syrup, whole wheat flour, wheat gluten, contains
2% or less of the following: oat fiber, soybean oil, salt, wheat bran, rolled wheat, rye nuggets, dough
conditioners (DATEM, sodium stearoyl lactylate), yeast nutrients (calcium sulfate, ammonium sulfate),
degermed yellow corn meal, rolled oats, rye flakes, caramel color, triticale flakes, parboiled brown rice,
refinery syrup, honey, barley flakes, flaxseed, millet, sorghum flour, azodiacarbonamide, natural flavor
(maltodextrin, natural flavor, silicon dioxide, lactic acid)

So...yeah. Not to mention people generally have the meat subs which are very unhealthy.
Reply 19
Original post by cookiedoughlove
i never feel bad after a subway. but i don't get a load of **** in mine........chicken and lettuce only :p:

i can see why some people would though, if they got ****loads of sauces, cheese, bacon and what not.

Omg same!

Quick Reply

Latest