The Student Room Group

English or Chemistry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ollie51
Can I please reiterate that your giving your opinion on whether I should take English or Chemistry, I have already explained that Law is a must! I am already doing a schools critical thinking course and I have found it very intresting so I would be far more logical to take it over general studies. I can't say I'm particularily interested in LSE but more so In Warwick, Durham and similair Unis. And Economics is consider a strong/traditonal/favorable subject as is History, Law is the tier below, I cannot remember the term used. English and Chemistry are both in the same category as History and economics, so I'd have 3 traditional and one slightly less so.

Wait- why is Law a must?
Reply 21
Original post by Chelle-belle
Economics isn't really traditional

Economics is actually a well respected, traditional subject.

Trinity College, Cambride agree: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

LIST A1*
Generally Suitable Science A-levels*

Biology*
Chemistry*
Mathematics*
Further Mathematics*
Physics*

LIST A2*
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels*

Art History*
Chinese*
Classical Civilisation*
Economics*
English Literature*
French*
Geography*
German*
Greek*
History*
Irish*
Italian*
Japanese*
Latin*
Music*
Philosophy*
Religious Studies*
Russian*
Spanish*
Welsh*

LSE like economics too
Reply 22
Original post by sango

Original post by sango
Wait- why is Law a must?

Read post 14. :smile:
Reply 23
You should do English Literature if you are applying for Law, it will really strengthen your application. However, both Chemistry and English (literature or Land/Lit) are really really hard!!! English is insanely hard and chemistry is nothing like GCSE Chemistry. You need to really enjoy the subjects, perhaps read/flick through some A Level text books to et an idea of what you'll be studying in each subject.
Original post by Valh
Economics is actually a well respected, traditional subject.

Trinity College, Cambride agree: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

LSE like economics too

I said it is respected albeit not really fully traditional. I am aware of Cambridge's lists :rolleyes:
Reply 25
As much as it pains me to say it, you should go for Eng Lit, it is best for you. :p:
But yeah, English because it's a) a traditional subject which your set of subjects seems to sort of lack at the moment; b) more relevant than Chemistry. :smile:

History is a traditional subject though.

I'd suggest taking English Literature, it'll go better with the subjects you're taking. I take Lit, History and Critical Thinking (with Philosophy and Media Studies), so I know that they go well together :smile:
Chemistry might be a bit too different from the other subjects you're taking, as well
Reply 27
English.
Reply 28
Yes I am aware that Literature would strengthen my application however would Chemistry not do the same thing but give me more breadth showing me to be a more adept candidate?
Original post by ollie51

Original post by ollie51
Yes I am aware that Literature would strengthen my application however would Chemistry not do the same thing but give me more breadth showing me to be a more adept candidate?

It would, but then English matches the subjects you're already taking better than Chemistry. As long as you like the subject you choose, that's the main thing.
There's no point picking something to try and streghen your application if you're not going to enjoy it, because you won't do as well in it as you could, so the whole thing would negate itself. Pick the one you'll enjoy the most.
Reply 30
to be brutally honest I don't think I would enjoy either of them a massive amount however seeing the justifications the only thing I can see pro chemistry is that it would add breath however English would more importantly substantiate what I already have thus increasing my chances, thanks for the advice. :smile:
Reply 31
Just how hard is english? I'm getting high A's/low A*s in course work/ mocks with minimal effort. Is it difficult in terms of what you have to read or the depth of analysis and cross refrencing you have to do?
Reply 32
I said it is respected albeit not really fully traditional. I am aware of Cambridge's lists :rolleyes:

Care to give any reasons for what you keep spouting about chemistry and economics? :facepalm2:
Reply 33
Sorry but why did I get a negative rep for that? Unis do actually like traditional subjects.

how is chemistry not a "traditional subject", proberly far harder than english
Reply 34
Both Chemistry and English Literature are traditional subjects, that has already been established. Has anyone done both?
Original post by Dec S 92
how is chemistry not a "traditional subject", proberly far harder than english

*probably. I beg to differ.
Reply 36
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
*probably. I beg to differ.

Would I be right if I make the presumption that you have taken both English lit and Chemistry? If so, what's your opinion on the respective courses? Also what are you going to do at uni as this may influence the validility of your opinion and how it would influence mine?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ollie51
Would I be right if I make the presumption that you have taken both English lit and Chemistry? If so, what's your opinion on the respective courses? Also what are you going to do at uni as this may influence the validility of your opinion and how it would influence mine?

Unfortunately I haven't taken both of the named subjects, but I have taken English Literature (I had pretty much decided on the degree I wanted to do before I chose my A-Levels) - but my closest friends are all science orientated and have went for the Chemistry/Physics/Mathematics combos.

English Literature is one of, or if not the strongest arts A-Level. It provides an analytical yet philosophical outlook, which you wouldn't be able to receive from a science; they're just too one-dimensional (in my opinion).

Although, Chemistry is an excellent and highly respected science (especially for medicine/engineering). If you're more practical and enjoy learning factual things rather than examining and challenging perspectives, then perhaps Chemistry would be the choice.

At university I would like to read Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) at the University of Oxford. Chemistry would have made my application more diverse, but English Literature is one of the subjects I felt was needed (History and Mathematics are recommended for PPE, and History/English Literature is an amazing combination).

I think the best thing for you to do would be to take both of them. But only if your subjects would compliment that. If you were to take things like English Literature, History, Chemistry and Mathematics, that's clearly a robust set of A-Levels and would give you an excellent footing for university. But, it's not about which is the stronger subject (well, not entirely) but it's which you like more and would prefer doing for two, or maybe more years. I got an A* in English Literature GCSE, so I was kind of swayed towards it, and I don't think I would've particularly liked a Chemistry A-Level (pharmaceuticals just don't do it for me).

Consider what you want to do at university first, though.
Reply 38
Original post by ollie51
Can I please reiterate that your giving your opinion on whether I should take English or Chemistry, I have already explained that Law is a must! I am already doing a schools critical thinking course and I have found it very intresting so I would be far more logical to take it over general studies. I can't say I'm particularily interested in LSE but more so In Warwick, Durham and similair Unis. And Economics is consider a strong/traditonal/favorable subject as is History, Law is the tier below, I cannot remember the term used. English and Chemistry are both in the same category as History and economics, so I'd have 3 traditional and one slightly less so.

- Take English lit.
- You said you want to do it more
- It's respected (not exactly like you're asking between Chemistry and Media studies, English lit will be valued by universities)
- It's an essay-based subject, which compliments your other choices
- It's the best subject ever
- Chemistry is very time consuming, and if it's not your first subject, it just gets in the way of your other choices
- Chemistry's ****. Take it from me, I do both.
Reply 39
Original post by ollie51
Both Chemistry and English Literature are traditional subjects, that has already been established. Has anyone done both?

Yeah, I'm taking both (I'm in upper sixth). You can ask me anything you want about them, although I might have a slight bias in favor of English lit!

Quick Reply

Latest