The Student Room Group

NSPCC Campaign on facebook : to stop violence against children

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sendaii
It's less about online bullying, more about child abuse.

oh apologies I somehow misread it and thought it was a campaign to stop abuse via facebook! :redface:

In some ways it makes my point even more valid though, people putting up childhood images on website does nothing in the real world, where as if the NSPCC instead made an image which could be used when you paid a small amount via paypal it would have much more impact. Some sort of special NSPCC facebook page could keep count of the donation so far, challenge folks to get to a target etc.
Reply 21
Original post by FyreFight
I changed mine to a Simpsons picture of Homer strangling Bart. Let's see the NSPCC get their heads round that one.

Haha!
Original post by Absinth
Haha!

.....I want those pigs in blankets in your sig...and the rest of it.:biggrin:
Original post by Sendaii
Tell that to the abused kids. Real action needs to be taken. Some Facebook campaign will do **** all.

I'll be frank, how many of us have actually thought about child abuse in the past week? Past month? At least this way it raises awareness and if people see it and feel strongly about it, they'll take further action.

Personally I think these viral campaigns are a good idea.
Mine is Captain Bucky o Hare
I've not changed mine and doubt I will. :nopity: :frown:
This is fun, loads of my friends have done it.

And the point is obviously awareness.

The NSPCC is hoping for some Christmas good will in the form of some cold hard cash. But no one is going to donate to a charity that they don't happen to have thought about. Hence, an awareness campaign. This is how charities raise money, by first getting some attention.

:facepalm2: @ anyone who fails to understand how charities work and saying the campaign is pointless.
(edited 13 years ago)
How this actually benefits the NSPCC is anyone's guess. Why not do something meaningful like donate money, do some charity work or give some of your clothes/books to a charity shop? You care about children right? Just not enough to actually do something that might drag you away from the computer.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
FAT DOG... doo doo doo... Who remembers Fat Dog Mendoza? Thats my pic :biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by xnatalie01x
I've got Belle from Beauty and the Beast.

Mine is The Beast, that film's one of my favourite Disney classics :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Holly Hiskey
But why does changing your profile picture stop them? I don't get it :confused:

It's still raising awareness and shows that someone cares ?

No one is asking for a donation which people people rarely make to be honest, just asking for a profile pic change, its the gesture that counts at the end of the day .
For those asking why, it raises awareness of this amongst people.

I changed mine to Jerry =D
Surely there are better ways to stop child abuse.
Reply 33
Original post by JohnnytheFox
How this actually benefits the NSPCC is anyone's guess. Why not do something meaningful like donate money, do some charity work or give some of your clothes/books to a charity shop? You care about children right? Just not enough to actually do something that might drag you away from the computer.

In a perfect world yes, but you got people here moaning about changing their profile pics which I find pretty sad. Come on guys I believe you all had a childhood, what difference will it make if you put a pic of a cartoon character you loved as kid ?

Anyway it is your decision to contribute or not the campaign, but a little something is always better than nothing at all :smile:

Bandwagon
Reply 35
Original post by JChoudhry
For those asking why, it raises awareness of this amongst people.

I changed mine to Jerry =D

Thank you :smile:

:yy:
Original post by Guvnor
It's still raising awareness and shows that someone cares ?

No one is asking for a donation which people people rarely make to be honest, just asking for a profile pic change, its the gesture that counts at the end of the day .

"Raising awareness." What does that actually mean? Everyone knows the NSPCC exists.

Face it, these kind of facebook campaigns are just an excuse for people to feel less guilty about not doing anything substantial for charity. "Yeah, there are children dying in the world, but don't blame me! I did my bit and changed my profile pic to Woody Woodpecker on facebook!"
"Raising awareness." What does that actually mean? Everyone knows the NSPCC exists.

Face it, these kind of facebook campaigns are just an excuse for people to feel less guilty about not doing anything substantial for charity. "Yeah, there are children dying in the world, but don't blame me! I did my bit and changed my profile pic to Woody Woodpecker on facebook!"

This. If you really cared that much you'd donate money. I'm not changing my profile picture but I have a change pot which my change goes into and when it's full I donate it. It's not much but it's got to be more useful than having a pokemon as my profile picture.
Reply 38

The thread is not really about getting more people to go out there and doing voluntary work for the NSPCC its about changing your fb pic to a cartoon character for a purpose, which is to stop violence against children.

That's all :smile: you can bend the thread in one hundred and one ways but look at first what this thread is all about, if your up for it then put a cartoon pic and if not then don't, its as simple as that. Don't know why people are trying to make it look confusing and asking questions ? Its pretty simple in simple english to understand.
Reply 39
Original post by Holly Hiskey
This. If you really cared that much you'd donate money. I'm not changing my profile picture but I have a change pot which my change goes into and when it's full I donate it. It's not much but it's got to be more useful than having a pokemon as my profile picture.

Good for you, fair enough your entitled to your own opinion :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending