The Student Room Group

5 AS-levels/15 units

I would like to study medicine.
Are those AS-levels necessary for medicine ? if not what are the ones I should take and I should not take.

-AS Biology
-AS Chemistry
-AS Mathematics
-AS Further Mathematics/A2 Mathematics or both ?
-AS Physics

I have been told that statistics are more favourable to take for medicine than mechanics, is this correct ?
I chose to do physics because I have been also told that its quite similar to Maths mechanics is this correct too ?

PS: Am self-studying them all and I will be having a private tutor to help me when am having doubts etc. and I will be doing them all in June session and am willing to work hard!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Private
Are those AS-levels necessary for medicine ? if not what are the ones I should take and I should not take.

-AS Biology
-AS Chemistry
-AS Mathematics
-AS Physics

I have been told that statistics are more favourable to take for medicine than mechanics, is this correct ?
I chose to do physics because I have been also told that its quite similar to Maths mechanics is this correct too ?

PS: Am self-studying them all and I will be having a private tutor to help me when am having doubts etc. and I will be doing them all in June session and am willing to work hard!

Good subjects.. I think you could swap Physics with Sociology or Physcology instead but those are still good choices. Why are you self studying?
Reply 2
Original post by Private

-AS Biology
-AS Chemistry
-AS Mathematics
-AS Physics

What did you get for GCSE?
Reply 3
Very similar to what I did, except I did Electronics instead of Physics and I also did ICT on top of these, and I was never overwhelmed by the work (to be honest I really should have worked harder!)

So go for it, good choices.
Reply 4
Original post by chemistrygod2315
mate Im doing all those at A2 at the moment, as well as critical thinking and an extended essay. Just got two interview offers for medicine.

Im guessing that subject choice is pretty good

:smile:

What Universities?
Reply 5
Thanks so much people! :biggrin:
I would like to hear more opinions though :P
Also, nobody answered these questions :s-smilie:

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Bump
Reply 7
Bump
Original post by Private

-AS Biology
-AS Chemistry
-AS Mathematics
-AS Physics

It probably doesn't matter which Maths A level you do, statistics or mechanics. Do whichever you feel is more interesting. If you do Double Maths though, it should be possible to do both statistics and mechanics.
Mechanics only covers one particular area of Physics in great depth. Physics will cover a wider array of topics and would likely be beneficial to your application.

Chemistry and Biology are the two most important out of those subjects, then Physics. Maths is just a useful subject to take in any case and keeps your options open. Further Maths isn't strictly necessary but you should do it if you think it will be interesting or stimulating . . .
Reply 9
Original post by Unkempt_One
It probably doesn't matter which Maths A level you do, statistics or mechanics. Do whichever you feel is more interesting. If you do Double Maths though, it should be possible to do both statistics and mechanics.
Mechanics only covers one particular area of Physics in great depth. Physics will cover a wider array of topics and would likely be beneficial to your application.

Chemistry and Biology are the two most important out of those subjects, then Physics. Maths is just a useful subject to take in any case and keeps your options open. Further Maths isn't strictly necessary but you should do it if you think it will be interesting or stimulating . . .

Thanks that was really helpful! +repped :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest