The Student Room Group

University Help!!!

Im currently on my Gap Year and plan to travel early next year but it is also my aim to study at University next year. I achieved 4 A levels. (A Business Studies, C Economics, C Chemistry and C I.C.T) Im hoping to retake Economics and Chemistry to boost up to B grades.

The problem is I cant decide on the course or Uni. Ive got my heart set on Unis like UCL and Warwick but not sure if Ive got the grades to get in?

Course wise Ive been looking at BSc Chemistry with Managment but I am not sure this will suit me? Any course suggestions for my subject types? IIm looking for a course that will make be high demand in the labour market when graduated. Apparently Engineers are in short supply and im interested but what sort of course and are my A levels suffice?

This is my 1st post so cheers for reading this essay!!! All advice appreciated as Im quite lost. Anywhere you can go for help e.g. Connextions?
Original post by Richrr
Im currently on my Gap Year and plan to travel early next year but it is also my aim to study at University next year. I achieved 4 A levels. (A Business Studies, C Economics, C Chemistry and C I.C.T) Im hoping to retake Economics and Chemistry to boost up to B grades.

The problem is I cant decide on the course or Uni. Ive got my heart set on Unis like UCL and Warwick but not sure if Ive got the grades to get in?

Course wise Ive been looking at BSc Chemistry with Managment but I am not sure this will suit me? Any course suggestions for my subject types? IIm looking for a course that will make be high demand in the labour market when graduated. Apparently Engineers are in short supply and im interested but what sort of course and are my A levels suffice?

This is my 1st post so cheers for reading this essay!!! All advice appreciated as Im quite lost. Anywhere you can go for help e.g. Connextions?

You're 'hoping to retake' them as in you're not sure whether you will retake, or you're retaking and hoping to get them to a B?

If you like chemistry and want to be employable when you graduate, you might want to look into chemical engineering. However, with what will hopefully be ABB grades with a B in chemistry, you might have to compromise on uni or maybe do a BEng first rather than a four year MEng. You also might be looking at taking maths.

EDIT: Ok, just been having a look for you. If chemical engineering is a route you want to follow, there are options. There are MEng courses run at ABB and below, but you're definitely looking at doing maths A-level - don't know how much that would put you off.

Bradford (Don't think it's accredited though, so research that)
Heriot-Watt
Newcastle
Nottingham
Queen's University Belfast
Surrey

You also might want to look into BEng courses and, if doing a maths A-level doesn't appeal, consider foundation years - just on my quick look, I found Aston, Newcastle and saw one mentioned on the same Nottingham site above.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, I'll have alook.

How would I go about the maths side? Collefge next year or could you do it at uni as part of the course?
Original post by Richrr
Thanks for the reply, I'll have alook.

How would I go about the maths side? Collefge next year or could you do it at uni as part of the course?

Depends what route you took. If you decided to pursue the foundation year path, you probably wouldn't need to do it at all because the foundation year will cover all the necessary maths.

If you took another gap year to do it and go straight onto the course, you'll need it before you start. You could see if any colleges run a one year maths A-level programme, or study it privately.

You could look into both options: enter an application for courses with foundation years for 2011 (may involve summer retakes - contact the unis for what they want) and, if that fails, do maths next year and apply for the direct course.

Does chemical engineering sound like something you might find interesting?
Reply 4
Yes chemical engineering does sound very interesting from what ive just researched on the net.

How do you know which unis do a foundation year and which ones are good?

Thankyou so much for your help!
Original post by Richrr
Yes chemical engineering does sound very interesting from what ive just researched on the net.

How do you know which unis do a foundation year and which ones are good?

Thankyou so much for your help!

Some of them are listed on the UCAS site when you search for courses (for example, Sheffield have one) and some of them are mentioned on the websites. You could just e-mail any university that runs chemical engineering and ask them if they have a suitable foundation year; ideally, you're after one that successful completion of will guarantee you a place on the degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending