The Student Room Group

Dating etiquette first / second date

Hi

What do people expect from first dates? ....... A kiss on the first date, sex?. Who pays?

I've been on two dates with a woman in the last week. I've not made any move at all as i'm fairly sure i don't feel anything for her. What has annoyed me a little though (i know its perhaps my own fault), is that i bought all the drinks !!! .......... Whats with that. Fair enough, you an call me a tightwad, but thinking about it logically, she was in a job where she probably earned a similar amount, but she didn't even offer? for me, this was a turn off in itself.

For me, if a dates going well, i'll probably be holding hands / putting arm around her / quick kiss by at least the 2nd date ........... I'm looking for a relationship, not a one night stand, so i won't be contacting again, anyone that turns up with boobs / ass half hanging out ...... subtlety is the key ........ or that tries to sleep with me on the first few dates. I'd probably wait for at least a month until i make moves on her sexually. Also, if i don't feel she's at least contributing 25%+ to the expenses in the first few dates shes a gonner, and i'd expect this to rise to 50% after the first handful of dates.

ukguy
Reply 1
Well the point is you're not feeling it so all this is out the window anyway.
Reply 2
I don't think there should be a rule. It depends how the date goes, and whatever your instinct tells you.
Reply 3
Original post by UKguy29
Hi

What do people expect from first dates? ....... A kiss on the first date, sex?. Who pays?

I've been on two dates with a woman in the last week. I've not made any move at all as i'm fairly sure i don't feel anything for her. What has annoyed me a little though (i know its perhaps my own fault), is that i bought all the drinks !!! .......... Whats with that. Fair enough, you an call me a tightwad, but thinking about it logically, she was in a job where she probably earned a similar amount, but she didn't even offer? for me, this was a turn off in itself.

For me, if a dates going well, i'll probably be holding hands / putting arm around her / quick kiss by at least the 2nd date ........... I'm looking for a relationship, not a one night stand, so i won't be contacting again, anyone that turns up with boobs / ass half hanging out ...... subtlety is the key ........ or that tries to sleep with me on the first few dates. I'd probably wait for at least a month until i make moves on her sexually. Also, if i don't feel she's at least contributing 25%+ to the expenses in the first few dates shes a gonner, and i'd expect this to rise to 50% after the first handful of dates.

ukguy

It's just dating rules; men should offer to pay. If a man got pissed off at me for not paying, I'd tell him where to go. If he genuinely had NO money then of course I would pay. But if you have money to spend on her, it's just common courtesy. Shows you genuinely like her. :smile:
Physically, a quick kiss is perfect for second date.
Reply 4
I only let a guy buy all the drinks if I'm not planning to see him again. Lol. If you're gonna bore me, I'm at least gonna get drunk on your generosity :wink:

Although my potential at the moment insists on "going dutch". As in, if I buy us each a drink he'll give me some money for his. Which I find kind of awkward, if I'm honest. I'd rather buy a round, then him buy a round etc. Canadian thing, maybe =/
Reply 5
I think that a guy should pay for everything..
Reply 6
Original post by chlobofro
It's just dating rules; men should offer to pay. If a man got pissed off at me for not paying, I'd tell him where to go. If he genuinely had NO money then of course I would pay. But if you have money to spend on her, it's just common courtesy. Shows you genuinely like her. :smile:
Physically, a quick kiss is perfect for second date.

lolwut dating rules for dating hoes.

If a girl expects you to pay for her, or offer to pay, that expectation to have things paid for won't go.
Reply 7
Original post by paella
lolwut dating rules for dating hoes.

If a girl expects you to pay for her, or offer to pay, that expectation to have things paid for won't go.

Nah, my boyfriend offered to pay the first few dates and then I offered but he still refuses to let me pay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending