The Student Room Group

WikiLeaks and The Sound of Silence

Yet the real story here is not what’s revealed but what’s withheld. The
marvel is not what we now know but what is already known that is left
unsaid. And what’s given an interpretive spin by those newspapers
granted priority access.

http://criminalstate.com/2010/12/wikileaks-and-the-sound-of-silence/

Scroll to see replies

The newspapers obviously think that it is in the public's interest to know what's happening day after day behind closed doors.
Reply 2
So you went from "I <3 Wikileaks" to slagging it off when you realised the files actually, so far, support Israel's position? Awesome.
Reply 3
Original post by Folderol
So you went from "I <3 Wikileaks" to slagging it off when you realised the files actually, so far, support Israel's position? Awesome.

This is mildly entertaining, though.
Original post by BrainFactory
The newspapers obviously think that it is in the public's interest to know what's happening day after day behind closed doors.

They do it for the same reason tabloids work : the allure of gossip.
Original post by Glowy Amoeba
They do it for the same reason tabloids work : the allure of gossip.

The US govt has described it as leaked info so it is probably true.
Reply 6
They do it for the same reason tabloids TSR works : the allure of gossip.

:wink:
Reply 7
Original post by Lovely88
Yet the real story here is not what’s revealed but what’s withheld. The
marvel is not what we now know but what is already known that is left
unsaid. And what’s given an interpretive spin by those newspapers
granted priority access.

http://criminalstate.com/2010/12/wikileaks-and-the-sound-of-silence/

Go on the Guardian website then they have the ordinal documents online.

As for your crap about how nothing about Israel has been released maybe thats because not all the cables have been released yet.
Original post by BrainFactory
The US govt has described it as leaked info so it is probably true.

I'm certain it's true! Else the americans would not have preemptively apologized to world leaders. What I meant is that most of the info seemed like simple tattle. Who needs to know the libyan leader has a busty ukrainian blonde following him around?

Of course, only a few hundred docs out of hundreds of thousands have been release, so yeah I hop the content will improve.
I'm certain it's true! Else the americans would not have preemptively apologized to world leaders. What I meant is that most of the info seemed like simple tattle. Who needs to know the libyan leader has a busty ukrainian blonde following him around?

Of course, only a few hundred docs out of hundreds of thousands have been release, so yeah I hop the content will improve.

I hope so too.
I would also agree that the leaks so far have been pretty unremarkable. I wonder if they've saved the best til last, or released all the 'major' stuff first?
Reply 11
Original post by sandys1000
I would also agree that the leaks so far have been pretty unremarkable. I wonder if they've saved the best til last, or released all the 'major' stuff first?

Waiting for Julian's greatest leaks?:ahee:

Original post by Aj12
Waiting for Julian's greatest leaks?:ahee:

They're going to release some major stuff in January about how corrupt the big banks are so there's a lot of extra pressure being put on WikiLeaks and Assange to keep quiet. More cables to be released as well and he says the new info will be big. I don't know why he's telling everyone though, surely it'd mean they try extra hard to shut him up before they're released?
Reply 13
Original post by CombineHarvester
They're going to release some major stuff in January about how corrupt the big banks are so there's a lot of extra pressure being put on WikiLeaks and Assange to keep quiet. More cables to be released as well and he says the new info will be big. I don't know why he's telling everyone though, surely it'd mean they try extra hard to shut him up before they're released?

Hes leaking it to newspapers and an attack by the US government on British and American newspapers would lead to a massive backlash.

Original post by Aj12
Hes leaking it to newspapers and an attack by the US government on British and American newspapers would lead to a massive backlash.

Yes but WikiLeaks are sorting through all the data first to make sure no-one's going to be endangered by it and are passing it onto newspapers who are also checking through the data before publishing it. I'm guessing the more "sensitive" data which will be potentially more dangerous is being double checked atm whereas all the relatively tame information has been published.
Reply 15
Original post by CombineHarvester
Yes but WikiLeaks are sorting through all the data first to make sure no-one's going to be endangered by it and are passing it onto newspapers who are also checking through the data before publishing it. I'm guessing the more "sensitive" data which will be potentially more dangerous is being double checked atm whereas all the relatively tame information has been published.

Did't they publish that list of informants though? I believe the Taliban said they were cross-referencing it with their own hit list.

Original post by Aj12
Did't they publish that list of informants though? I believe the Taliban said they were cross-referencing it with their own hit list.

They said individuals such as informants will have their identities protected and they never disclose their sources because if they did it'd mean they'd get very few leaks because people don't want to be arrested/killed. It's only the ones engaging in corrupt affairs and being dicks who'll be exposed, most individuals will be protected.
Original post by Folderol

Durrr..if they are cables from the US they arent going to be exactly critical of Israel are they? I imagine that the diplomats would be extremely careful in that respect..
It's idiots who don't understand how wikileaks are working who even think about writing articles like that.

theres about 300 cables released from 250,000.

At least wait for the end of the saga before going on such ridiculous chants.
Now they have closed his account down :O

Link

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending