The Student Room Group

Do you think there's anything wrong with letting a 9 year old boy play COD?

Scroll to see replies

*Flashback on thursdays Misfits episode*
Reply 81
I wouldn't let them play any video game. They should be making up their own games or playing outside with friends.
Reply 82
9 seems a little young tbh.
You should wait until he's 12 and his innocence has gone.
I'd say they'd have to be at least 12 ( which is a bit low but not ridiculous) years of age to play COD - preferably 13 or 14 depending on the individual's level of maturity.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by pamelaa
The user qwentyj has critcised my parents for letting my bro play black ops (this thread isn't criticising him btw! lol)
It's an 18 rated game for those who don't know.

Would you let your kids play it? :smile: I don't see anything wrong with it tbh

Very, very poor parenting.
Nothing more, nothing less.
send them this link http://www.parentlineplus.org.uk/default.aspx
and tell them they need to get a grip.
Reply 85
I personally wouldn't want my children to play a game with that level of violence in until there were at least 14 but then it's difficult since sadly nowadays lots of children are playing these games from a young age. I'm training to be a teacher and on one placement I had a group of children discuss COD in front of me, what was their kill rate etc and tbh it made me a little sad they weren't out riding their bikes in the evening or playing football in the park rather than sat in front of a PC/console for the evening. It's rather worrying when the only reason a child knows what 150 times 4 is because he knows how many points you get when you kill four people.
I wouldn't let my nine year old play a game like that. Just like I wouldn't let him watch an 18 movie. Sometimes seeing things like that has effects on younger children, which might not appear straight away- but might do in the future.. you don't really know how it's going to affect them.

There are so many games out there that there's no need to play unsuitable games to be honest- just find him one aimed at younger children for a couple of years!
Reply 87
Original post by 22KT22
I personally wouldn't want my children to play a game with that level of violence in until there were at least 14 but then it's difficult since sadly nowadays lots of children are playing these games from a young age. I'm training to be a teacher and on one placement I had a group of children discuss COD in front of me, what was their kill rate etc and tbh it made me a little sad they weren't out riding their bikes in the evening or playing football in the park rather than sat in front of a PC/console for the evening. It's rather worrying when the only reason a child knows what 150 times 4 is because he knows how many points you get when you kill four people.

Question here is would you send your kid to the local park without an adult to play football.....i would not- not in this country.

So the kid sitting at home and playing a reasonable amount is arte.....i borrowed GTA3 off my friend and my dad found out he was actually surprised that the game was a 18.
Reply 88
Nah wouldn't let him. My nephew plays a lot of violent games and he's like 7-8 and he's always fighting and being violent despite living in a relatively calm household. I would probably ignore the game ratings and make my own decision on whether he should be allowed to play it. Generally I wouldn't allow him to play it unless there is serious gore and violent but everything else I would probably let him play even if it had sexual scenes (he's gotta be aware of that right?). Once they're in secondary school though I'd probably let them play and watch whatever they wanted though.

I did that and I turned out just fine (I hope).
Reply 89
Original post by LOCI
Question here is would you send your kid to the local park without an adult to play football.....i would not- not in this country.

So the kid sitting at home and playing a reasonable amount is arte.....i borrowed GTA3 off my friend and my dad found out he was actually surprised that the game was a 18.

No I probably wouldn't but then I would try and find the time to take my kids to the park or I would let them play outside the house or in the garden. I think part of the problems with society now is people spend too much time in front of the PC/console/tv on social network sites, computer games and so aren't sociallising as much with their peers, aren't doing exercise so higher rates of obesity. Its a viscious circle.
Reply 90
Original post by 22KT22
It's rather worrying when the only reason a child knows what 150 times 4 is because he knows how many points you get when you kill four people.
Lol :biggrin:

Personally I'd wait till about 12+, with ownership of a mic. being prohibited to 16+
Didn't read rest of thread so i'm not sure if i'm repeating anyone when I say...

I'm quite against it. Especially online, it's not the best environment for kids let's face it and it really ruins the game for the competent ones playing out there who get stuck on their team.
Reply 92
Original post by Logi
Lol :biggrin:

Personally I'd wait till about 12+, with ownership of a mic. being prohibited to 16+

At least on a positive note they were finding an everyday use for mathematics and able to able their knowledge and skills.
Reply 93
Nothing wrong at all.
It's up to the parents, and bearing in mind if a game is rated for adults the parents only have themselves to blame.

Regardless the notion that violent games somehow turn kids into raving loonies is a tired and long since debunked urban myth.

Countless children have grown up with computer games and turned out fine. I myself have partook in many a violent game, I especially enjoyed Unreal Tournament which while by today's standards had pretty crappy graphics still made the effort with plentiful gibbing of corpses.

Despite that despite some interested in the armed forces I wouldn't join because of the whole killing thing, I don't like getting into fights and overall I have no history of killing small animals for amusement.

When a kid goes nuts and shoots up his school, its not the violent games he is drawn to which caused it, it was the ticking time-bomb of psychological instability inside his skull which drove him to it.

I'll be honest if I had a 9 year old kid I'd be a little iffy about letting them partake freely in entertainment aimed at adults but age alone isn't a rock-solid determination of maturity so as long as my kid understands the difference between right and wrong and I'm happy I've instilled a basic respect for life, I'll let the little noob have his fun.
Reply 95
Original post by karateworm
Isn't there a scene in Black Ops where he places some broken glass in a guys mouth, then punches him?

That is not really what you want a 9 year old playing.

I think that the OP means multiplayer - and at the start of the campaign you can choose whether or not you want graphic scenes, and if you choose no then the games basically a twelve.
I agree with one of the first posts, the violence is overstated.
x
I spent my childhood playing mario and now I cant stop my self jumping on a turtle or a mushroom when I seem them. Im not allowed in tesco anymore...Or the pet shop which was self defence actually because I swear if I never got their first he was going to throw a hammer at me!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by SoulfulBoy
I guess parents make their children stuck to videogames in order to keep him/her silent:smile:. Games even not being real, are realistic wich is worse.

True, why can't everyone just play Super Mario? :rolleyes:
Reply 98
Of course it is wrong. It's lazy, poor parenting. I find it sad to see how so many parents let their young kids watch tv or play video games for hours, often not even knowing what exactly it is they are watching or what the age restrictions are. 9 year olds have no place playing video games meant for 18 year olds, simple as. IMO 9 year olds shouldnt play any video games at all, with the possible exception of educational ones maybe.

Kids should play, go outside, do activities, READ books. It isnt even about whether kids will turn into serial killers after playing COD, there can be other detrimental results, such as a video game addiction (which yes in does exist and many gamers suffer from it, i know people who play for over 12 hours a day) or whether it keeps you from developing faster. The time wasted on video games could be used more useful on activities whose benefits are actually proven.

Common sense says that it is irresponsible to expose a 9 year old to extreme violence or explicit content. Since so many of you seem to lack it, maybe you should ring up parents' councils or helplines who will confirm what i say. Shocking to read of so many people here letting their young kids happily play COD. Unfortunately everyone can become a parent. If you get kids, go do something with them, play with them, inspire them, invest valuable time into them, be a role model, PROTECT them, GUIDE them.

Some arguments here are ridiculous, such as " oh my kid knows this isnt real". Yeah neither are slasher films and a 9 year old shouldnt be exposed to them, duh.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TPS.
I think that the OP means multiplayer - and at the start of the campaign you can choose whether or not you want graphic scenes, and if you choose no then the games basically a twelve.
I agree with one of the first posts, the violence is overstated.
x

Ah right year, multiplayer really isn't too much of a problem.

That said, do you really want a 9 year old on the receiving end of some of the language that gets spat about on there? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending