The Student Room Group

Giving notice to an employer?

I am applying for a christmas temp. job, on my current contract it says I must give 4 weeks notice before leaving. Seems a bit excessive but I guess the rotas are done normally for a month ahead. To be honest I am sick of the company and their complete disregard that we are in fact people where I work. The company has always been pretty informal, it's not Tesco's or a heavyweight like that exactly.

If I got the new job what problems could this cause, 2 others left and this was certainly not 4 weeks notice I am sure of it. But I wasn't manager and didn't know the details, also there is a new manager since then. I'd probably be asked to start right away.
(edited 13 years ago)
Employers expecting you to give four weeks' notice when resigning is reasonably standard rather than excessive. Of course, you could leave before that time period has elapsed, but this carries the distinct possibility of causing problems with you getting paid for your final days at work. You have, after all, accepted the four weeks' notice policy in your contract of employment.
Reply 2
Just give the notice as soon as you can and tell your new employers that you cannot begin work before you've worked the notice at your current work. It's pretty standard, I'm sure they'll understand.
Reply 3
You are a Christmas Temp??? That's three/four weeks work.
Reply 4
I could work while still in notice right, even though it says I need permission. They're not going to find out, I only work weekends, so I could start my new position if I get it with just weekdays right?

Or would an employer in a call centre not be bothered.
Original post by Wildebeest
Employers expecting you to give four weeks' notice when resigning is reasonably standard rather than excessive. Of course, you could leave before that time period has elapsed, but this carries the distinct possibility of causing problems with you getting paid for your final days at work. You have, after all, accepted the four weeks' notice policy in your contract of employment.

Yeah- this is the case im afraid. If a new job did ask you to start straight away (or within the next month) then i suppose you may be able to get away with giving less than 4 week notice but other than that you will have to do the 4 weeks notice im afraid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending