The Student Room Group

what do you think when people use gay,faggot,queer as insult

like when people say 'gay boy' 'your gay' as an insult. or 'hey faggot' to their friends or to people they dont know or dont like.sometimes i hear and see queer as a insult too .do you think that all or most of them are being homophobic when they say these things.
have any of you heard these things where you are and know if the people are homophobic or not.

Scroll to see replies

I personally use all three. Although never to gay folk. Or about gay folk (for the most part). I am not a homophobe.
Reply 2
This video explains it pretty well:

However, I haven't retired 'gay' from my vocabulary...
Reply 3
I hate that word 'faggot'! I'm not gay but it really irritates me when people use it.
Reply 4
well, i'm gay. Someone saying "gay boy!" to me is just like saying "white boy!"....its a fact, it doesn't insult me, it makes me feel bad for there lack of creativity when it comes to insulting someone.

Queer and Faggot just lack originality, they've been used too much to insult people.
Reply 5
I just find it pretty dumb these days. I used to use 'gay' as an insult and occasionally 'faggot' when i was younger, though not in a homophobic way. I actually find it slightly odd when I hear people use these words as insults now.
i say the word 'gay' quite a lot :colondollar: but im not homophobic or anything

Don't forget "homo" its the most commonly used insult.
Reply 8
If you said gay boy in the US someone would just assume that your gay for saying that.

"'Homo" and "fag" are the most common here IMO. "Gay" is used more as an adjective (i.e "wow that was gay"). "Faggot" is only used on call of duty.
I really look down on it, but I catch myself calling things/people gay quite often :frown:
Calling something or someone gay isn't insulting to homosexuals, it's got nothing to do with them.
I'm bisexual, and I find it quite offensive. Personally, I wouldn't ever use such language, though I have no problem with some other forms of swearing when not in polite company :')

I particularly dislike it when people use the word 'gay' to describe something they think is stupid or pathetic, as obviously the implication is that being gay is a synonym and the same as being stupid. I also hate it when people call others 'faggot' and 'queer', even when it's not directed towards gay people... It's derogatory, out-dated and just pretty unpleasant. There's no need for it.

Unfortunately, I recognise they've fallen into common useage, so I don't think a lot of people that say things like that are being deliberately homophobic. It just shows a sort of ignorance and insensitivity on their part. Why can't they find other words to express themselves that don't implicitly insult homosexuality?

And if any of these terms are actually used to antagonise someone who is actually gay, well, that is homophobic and it's just pathetic. People only pick on things like your sexuality because it's the most obvious thing to go for, and often because there isn't anything else about you that people think they can have a go at.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
I try not to use the word gay as a generic insult or to describe something that's "rubbish". It just seems really silly to me. Whenever I hear someone calling something gay I just imagine what it would be like if that thing was actually a homosexual stereotype.
Reply 13
Indifferent, it's just a word. I'd have no problem calling a gay person a faggot, I'm sure none of them have any reason to feel threatened by me.
Reply 14
If it's used in a joking way ("Ya big gay") or to describe an object that's not doing what it's supposed to ("Stupid computer, stop being gay") then it's fine. If it's used as an insult ("Ahaha, gay boy!") then it's particularly stupid. Sounds to me like a case of wistful thinking. My dad uses the word queer all the time in regards to gay people and it annoys me, particularly because he doesn't know that I'm gay and he says it in front of me. As for faggot, the Westboro Baptist Church has made that word too ridiculous to be taken seriously.

EDIT: Who negged me for this and why? The only thing different from the normal POV I've said here is "I'm gay", and if I got negged for that then whoever did it has issues they need to resolve.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by paella
Indifferent, it's just a word. I'd have no problem calling a gay person a faggot, I'm sure none of them have any reason to feel threatened by me.

are you homophobic
Reply 16
i always use it as an insult nobody wants to be labelled as gay
Reply 17
Original post by Jacktri
i always use it as an insult nobody wants to be labelled as gay

whats wrong with being gay
Reply 18
Original post by joshgold17
whats wrong with being gay

means you fancy men lol that's what
Reply 19