The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get a 2:1?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Alot of people assume that getting 60% is easy...it's not the same in the University level. So far I'll be lucky if I pass this year.
Reply 21
Speaking from experience (as a science graduate with a 2:1), it's not hard to get a 2:1 provided you put the work in. It's just a matter of keeping on top of everything, and putting the time in where you need it.

Also, another idea is not to take a free slot as a free, but just extra time to do work (the day you get the letter saying you've made the grade and got the 2:1 makes up the lack of social life in your third year). For example, I had a significant free block on Monday afternoon, so used the time to go up and do more work on my dissertation.
Reply 22
It's not the hardest achievement in the world, though on the other hand don't underestimate the difficulty.
Easier to get than a first, but harder to get than a 2:2.
Original post by Bubbles0ox
so how hard is it to receive a first?

I think my response to this would be "not as hard as it should be".

The reason I say this is that I got a first despite the fact that I didn't understand the majority of the content of my course. I was able to get high scores in exams by memorising the methods of answering the questions in past papers. If the exams had been set in such a way that they actually genuinely tested understanding rather than ability to regurgitate answers, I would have failed. As it happens I performed exceptionally well. To me that suggests it was way too easy. Of course, I only have experience of Maths & Physics... for other courses it may be different
Original post by Part A
I'm interested to know - the majority of people usually graduate with a 2:1 and I'm just wondering how hard it is to actually achieve it.

Obviously, it's based heavily on the intelligence of the student but for argument's sake, let's say an above average student studying at a Russell Group university.

And am I right in thinking the first year of university doesn't count towards your final degree classification? You need 40 percent to pass if I'm correct?

Well put it this way. It's easier to get a 2:1 in a lower ranked university than a higher ranked one. And even within the Russel group it's easier to get a 2:1 in somewhere like UCL say, than somewhere like oxford or cambridge, because their programs are harder.

So in summary: how hard it is depends on where you study.
Reply 26
for the molecular sciences (biochemistry) , it is hard to gain a 2.1. At my university, i have to hand in on average 2 lab reports every week (2000 words min) plus revise lecture notes !!! not sure about other subjects.
Original post by JohnnytheFox
Easier to get than a first, but harder to get than a 2:2.

No......really? :lol:
Reply 28
Original post by blue_shift86
Well put it this way. It's easier to get a 2:1 in a lower ranked university than a higher ranked one. And even within the Russel group it's easier to get a 2:1 in somewhere like UCL say, than somewhere like oxford or cambridge, because their programs are harder.

So in summary: how hard it is depends on where you study.

And we know this because...
Reply 29
Maybe I'm pulling all this BS outta my arse (it was a few years ago...) but I remember hearing that 60% at Bristol get a 2.1. First year counts for nothing (except in certain situations where you miss/fail future exams). The number of papers at certain levels change the overall average required to get a certain degree level (ie 7 1sts will mean you might only need X% overall for you 1st, but with only 2 1sts you'd need Y%. Y>X).

Personally, I believe that an average person who did not get a 2.1 was either lazy or had serious extenunating circumstances. There really is no excuse.

A first is harder to quantify, I can only speak for econ/fin at Bristol, but if you sat down and revised/learnt everything, you got a first. I did, and the exams really did seem like a memory test.

Assuming you work responsibly (no way round that!) I'd think a 1/2.1 is all but guaranteed. And as I found out to the cost of my 'life/nerves' every year, it is MUCH easier if you study a few hours a day all year rather than a 3 month marathon at 18 hours a day in the run up to June.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by CookieDoughLove
Maybe arts students work harder?

Or maybe science subjects are more difficult?

There's more than one reason why some people do better than others :rolleyes:

Because science degree's are harder. Everyone knows going into them that they are hard so why would a lazy student pick to do that degree unless they like to fail the first year?

Original post by alharrison4
Please could you say what you are basing this on? Is it just your own experience, or are there official figures?

I disagree that science students have to work harder; subjects like History, English and Law, from what I hear from others as well as my own interpretation, require a lot of effort. As was said above, it's impossible to generalise in that way; to say one degree is easier than another is subjective.

It is the official figures. Go check any uni and compare something like physics to history.
And sciences are far harder and require more work then art subjects, though that is not saying history is easy, just that sciences are the hardest due to hours, volume of work, and complexity.
Also, it is not subjective. Some maths and physics modules are known to be the hardest modules offered by universities and something the lectures are very proud of telling the students.
Reply 31
Depends on university and course. I've found it pretty difficult to pass the year and even moreso to maintain a 2.1. I think the key to getting the most out of uni is definitely good time management. The people I know on 1sts, captain of a sports team / presidents of societies are able to do so because they're either insanely smart, or very good at time management. Unfortunately that's something I've never been any good at :tongue:
Original post by danny111
I am convinced that a lot of people that don't get a 2:1 could get it if they worked harder/more/better (better in the sense that some people don't know how to revise).

Hi Danny111,

I would appreciate you briefly suggesting an effective way to revise/study? or how I could improve my strategy :smile:

My approach is to just:

-read the set chapters/lecture notes and derive brief notes.
-Answer the questions in said chapters and also the problem sets before tutorials.
-Check my answers are correct and if they are wrong, find out where I went wrong.
-I always practice the last 10 years papers (unless the material has changed a lot).
-Also my economics degree has some basic calculus/statistics/econometrics, I make sure I practice some relevant questions every week so I don't become rusty in these areas.
Reply 33
Original post by VictorVaughn
Hi Danny111,

I would appreciate you briefly suggesting an effective way to revise/study? or how I could improve my strategy :smile:

My approach is to just:

-read the set chapters/lecture notes and derive brief notes.
-Answer the questions in said chapters and also the problem sets before tutorials.
-Check my answers are correct and if they are wrong, find out where I went wrong.
-I always practice the last 10 years papers (unless the material has changed a lot).
-Also my economics degree has some basic calculus/statistics/econometrics, I make sure I practice some relevant questions every week so I don't become rusty in these areas.

That sounds perfect. Ideally you would want to look at a past paper and every time you finish a topic in your module, do a past paper question on it. That way you can tell how well you understood the material with respect to the expected difficulty of the exam. If you aren't happy with your answer see your class teacher or lecturer.

But doing this on top of the reading, going over lectures, and assignments will take a lot of time, and to be honest, I haven't done it my self this term coz i am too lazy. but i will try to go over 1 or 2 past papers for my modules (i only have 3 so thats good) over the xmas holidays.
Reply 34
Original post by alharrison4
Please could you say what you are basing this on? Is it just your own experience, or are there official figures?

I disagree that science students have to work harder; subjects like History, English and Law, from what I hear from others as well as my own interpretation, require a lot of effort. As was said above, it's impossible to generalise in that way; to say one degree is easier than another is subjective.

Science subjects like Maths, Medicine and Physics(and even CS) are definitely a lot harder. They have more contact time, more coursework requirements and an equal number of exams. Whilst a Politics student may have to write a 3000 word essay over a week as part of coursework, there are CS courses where you have to write the same as a minor part of the main coursework, and at my university even people who go on to very well paid jobs have failed to complete CS Honours programmes.
Reply 35
1st: 70%
2.1: 60%
2.2: 50%
3/pass: 40%
So everyone is basically saying that good time management is essential... so whats peoples advice on time management?
You should know for yourself, straight from your first assignment, what kind of work you have to put it to achieve whichever grade you got. For me, I have to work hard but not kill myself to get a 2:1. For me to get a first, I have to really push myself hard.

Just try your absolute best. The higher grades you get now, the less pressure you're under towards the end, which is when most people stress out the most!
Reply 38
Original post by Don John
1st: 70%
2.1: 60%
2.2: 50%
3/pass: 40%

I believe that's not the same for all universities? Though it is the case for mine :yep:
Original post by Nichrome
www.unistats.com

Using Cambridge as an example,
History: 96% 2.1+
Mathematics: 70% 2.1+

Seriously, you have to be ****ing retarded not to get a 2.1 in an arts subject.

Awful use of statistics there.

You have neglected to mention the percentage being acheived in other classifications. For all we know, less people are getting a 2.1 in Mathematics because more of them are getting 1st class marks instead.

Not that I'm saying that is the case. What I'm saying is you must be an idiot to think that's a decent way of reporting the numbers. I hope you do not study mathematics. Besides, looking at unistats the figure for 2.1 in History at Cam is actually 74%, which isn't that different from Mathematics.

Oh god, my face when I see you're applying for a PhD in Physics and you think this is the basis for a decent argument. I'd love to watch you defend your thesis.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending