The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan not enough!

I checked how much I'd get through direct gov:http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Applyingforthefirsttime/index.htm

"Maintenance Loan - Paid directly to you £3564"
How on earth can I survive on that when most universities I am going to charge £5000 per year for just accommodation! It's even worse as-well because I am studying on the mainland, so I have to pay to keep my stuff and the travel and on top of all that I am doing Archaeology, which has extra costs.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ben788
x

Welcome to the real world. Thats what everyone else gets mate.
Reply 2
Original post by ben788
I checked how much I'd get through direct gov:http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Applyingforthefirsttime/index.htm

How on earth can I survive on that when most universities I am going to charge £5000 per year for just accommodation! It's even worse as-well because I am studying on the mainland, so I have to pay to keep my stuff and the travel and on top of all that I am doing Archaeology, which has extra costs.

It says this when I looked?
"If you’re starting a full-time higher education course, the main types of financial help you may be able to get are:

* a Maintenance Grant or Special Support Grant - worth up to £2,906
* a Tuition Fee Loan to cover your fees in full (up to £3,290 for 2010/11)
* a Maintenance Loan - worth up to £4,950 if you live away from home, or more if you study in London (although the maximum you can get is reduced if you’re getting help through the Maintenance Grant)
* a bursary from your university or college"

But otherwise, welcome to the student world! If you can't cover the accommodation costs you either ask your parents to help you out or you live off campus so that you have more money to spend. Or you get a part-time job to pay for your living costs. Or start saving now!

I'm on an NHS funded course and I'm lucky to get the bursary but we get only £2000 maintenance loan and about £2200 bursary which just about covers my accommodation for the year so I'm using savings to live off and trying to find a part-time job.
'If you're living away from home, the maximum loan is £4,950 for the academic year - more if you're studying in London. The maximum available is less if you’re living with your parents during term time.'

I think you get a smaller loan if you get a grant too.
Reply 4
Original post by ben788

It's simple mate. You do what most of us do in our spare time and GET A JOB!
Reply 5
Original post by LooCee
It says this when I looked?
"If you’re starting a full-time higher education course, the main types of financial help you may be able to get are:

* a Maintenance Grant or Special Support Grant - worth up to £2,906
* a Tuition Fee Loan to cover your fees in full (up to £3,290 for 2010/11)
* a Maintenance Loan - worth up to £4,950 if you live away from home, or more if you study in London (although the maximum you can get is reduced if you’re getting help through the Maintenance Grant)
* a bursary from your university or college"

But otherwise, welcome to the student world! If you can't cover the accommodation costs you either ask your parents to help you out or you live off campus so that you have more money to spend. Or you get a part-time job to pay for your living costs. Or start saving now!

I'm on an NHS funded course and I'm lucky to get the bursary but we get only £2000 maintenance loan and about £2200 bursary which just about covers my accommodation for the year so I'm using savings to live off and trying to find a part-time job.

You get more than me :frown:
Reply 6
AAAAIIIIIIRRRR

Looks like ur on your own mate.:banghead::banghead:
Original post by Kiwiguy
Welcome to the real world. Thats what everyone else gets mate.

100% right. Unless you want to get into even more debt with credit cards/overdrafts, say hello to getting a job or two :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by AidanLunn
It's simple mate. You do what most of us do in our spare time and GET A JOB!

I have a job, but there's no guarantee I'll be able to get another one during holidays!

Also my parents can't and won't help, yet there're earning over 50,000.
Reply 9
Original post by SmallTownGirl
'If you're living away from home, the maximum loan is £4,950 for the academic year - more if you're studying in London. The maximum available is less if you’re living with your parents during term time.'

I think you get a smaller loan if you get a grant too.

Yep, but the grant more than makes up for it is you are in a low income household like me.
Hi everyone, I'm a little confused. OP said the max was £3564 (and I tried the finance calculator thing and it said this too), but on the website it says £4950? Does anyone know why this is? Thanks :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by urbanshoemyth
Hi everyone, I'm a little confused. OP said the max was £3564 (and I tried the finance calculator thing and it said this too), but on the website it says £4950? Does anyone know why this is? Thanks :smile:

4950 is the figure for if you live in london

Original post by ben788
I have a job, but there's no guarantee I'll be able to get another one during holidays!

Oh dear. Cry more?

Original post by charlotte-rose
100% right. Unless you want to get into even more debt with credit cards/overdrafts, say hello to getting a job or two :tongue:

Banks will happily give first years up to a grand in OD. Do what i did and get 2 :smile:
Original post by ben788

Well then you're just gunna have to slim down on what you spend.
Reply 13
Original post by urbanshoemyth

Oh maybe that calculator is out of date I hope so!
Original post by Kiwiguy

But it says this on the website:

"Maintenance Loan - worth up to £4,950 if you live away from home, or more if you study in London"
Reply 15
Original post by Kiwiguy

Oh dear. Cry more?

Banks will happily give first years up to a grand in OD. Do what i did and get 2 :smile:

Oh come on, you're saying I don't a have a right to be just a little annoyed?
Original post by ben788
Oh maybe that calculator is out of date I hope so!

Well it is the 2010/11 one, we would need the 2011/2012 one :smile:
Original post by ben788

Why won't your parents help?

I don't think there's anything else you can get if your parents earn more the £50k. It's just tough really. My parents earn just over that amount too, my loan isn't enough to cover my accommodation let alone food. You're not the only one. You'll just have to persuade your parents to help, and/or get a job.
Nobodies loan covers their rent. Welcome to ze real world!
Reply 19
Original post by Sakura-Chan
Why won't your parents help?

I don't think there's anything else you can get if your parents earn more the £50k. It's just tough really. My parents earn just over that amount too, my loan isn't enough to cover my accommodation let alone food. You're not the only one. You'll just have to persuade your parents to help, and/or get a job.

My parents are in money troubles and I have 6 siblings, it's only over 50,000 because they have several jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending