The Student Room Group

British Army sucks: US commander, Afghan President

Wikileaks reveals no one rates the British Army or effort in Afghanistan.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/dec/02/wikileaks-cables-afghan-british-military

"Stop calling it the Sangin district and start calling it the Sangin base all you have done here is built a military camp next to the city," he said. British troops, the same cable reported, told US officials that immediately outside the town "cowboy country begins".

Damn, that is brutal.
Reply 1
I bet our commanders have never complained about the American troops or the Afghan political leadership in private communications with the MOD...
Reply 3
They sure do suck - I've had amazing fellatio at the barracks :love:
Reply 4
Tbh Karzai has no right to say anything about anyone. His rules at the whim of the Americans.

American generals and British generals have been rivals since the first world war, and frankly our effort in Afghanistan has been under funded and under equipped since the beginning.
Reply 5
The Brits have made a hash of securing one province. If they are not up to the task, let someone else do it.
Reply 6
I'd agree with a fair bit of it.

Fact is, UK politicians are terrified by the thought of casualties as it is bad publicity, often means that the Govt has to pay money out to people's families and generally makes them look bad.

Wars cannot be won without casualties and the British government and people need to understand that.
Reply 7
The British I think have underperformed in Iraq and Afghanistan. However, since they are the only US ally that is willing to actually do any fighting (and dying)alongside the Americans, the yanks should show a bit more gratitude.

If I were Cameron I'd be on the phone to Obama saying "one more more ****ing word of criticism from you people and I will withdraw every man tomorrow morning and leave it to you. It's all yours"
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Britain as a country is underperforming because as has been mentioned it isn't willing to;
1. Properly fund a war
2. Take the necessary casualties

But to suggest that the individual British footsoldier is not doing anything less than a sterling job is just nonsense. But he fights Whitehall as much as he does the Taliban, I think.
Original post by Howard
The British I think have underperformed in Iraq and Afghanistan. However, since they are the only US ally that is willing to actually do any fighting (and dying)alongside the Americans, the yanks should show a bit more gratitude.

If I were Cameron I'd be on the phone to Obama saying "one more more ****ing word of criticism from you people and I will withdraw every man tomorrow morning and leave it to you. It's all yours"

they call them poodles for a reason.
Reply 10
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
they call them poodles for a reason.

Difficult for the Army to excel while their political masters have no testicles. Cameron needs to grow a pair and have a "fireside chat" with the Obama.
Reply 11
Original post by Bagration
Britain as a country is underperforming because as has been mentioned it isn't willing to;
1. Properly fund a war
2. Take the necessary casualties

But to suggest that the individual British footsoldier is not doing anything less than a sterling job is just nonsense. But he fights Whitehall as much as he does the Taliban, I think.

Ever it has been so. Lions led by donkeys.
Like people have been saying, it's not the men on the ground that's the problem. Neither is it the generals in charge, it's the politicians in the government that have made it a disaster!
I feel so disappointed that we have not been able to show the true nature of the british soldier in either afghanistan or iraq!Look at the pull out of british troops in basra in 2007. What a ****ing disaster the government made of that situation, trying to pass the british pull out as a victory! And who gets the blame, the soldiers! The ones that wanted to get things done but couldn't because our government had their head up their ass!
Reply 13
:sogood: Oh god, I love this so much. I really do just loathe you people.

Please, do leave. Hopefully, on your incompetent coattails, our politicians will realize what a horrible mistake they've made with the wars, and this will be the last time we ever have to mingle again.
Reply 14
2nd rate soldiers with 2nd rate equipment. Exception being the SAS, they are with it.
Reply 15
Original post by 2nd_slip
2nd rate soldiers with 2nd rate equipment. Exception being the SAS, they are with it.

You betetr go out there show them how its done
Reply 16
It is a volunteer army. I am not a volunteer, I dont think I can go teach the Afghans a lesson in war. I am not that stupid.

But not taking 1 province in almost a decade is lame.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending