The Student Room Group

Normal grief or becoming a bit depressed?

I lost a very close friend a few months ago and think I've been coping as well as can be expected as in:

- I still go out with friends(but not as much as before...drinking or even jst going to clubs etc just doesn't have the same appeal anymore).
- my grades haven't dropped...in fact in some areas they've got better because I've worked harder, thinking about what a hard-worker my friend was.
- I've taken part in charity and helping others and got involved with something new, which I enjoy. Again, positive changes I think?

But, over the past week I've been feeling more constantly down than usual:

- I would never do anything to harm myself because I'd always put the feelings of my family and friends first, but I do find thoughts about it creeping in occasionally.
- I get weepy at least every day.
- Yesterday I cried for ages until I'd worn myself out and felt ill. I then went to bed about 12, and woke at around 1pm today...I haven't eaten anything yet and don't feel like it either.
- I haven't done that ^ since the earliest stages of grieving, but I think that might be down to the fact I'm usually do busy with deadlines and I am still grieving, I don't get much time to just slow down and let myself feel it?
- ^ When that happens, I usually wake up the next feeling better...but today I feel as bad as I did yesterday.
-Sometimes(and I hate admitting this one) when I'm somewhere normal, doing something out in public, I'll have a flash of the horrible way my friend passed :frown:

The thing is there is probably a big difference between grieving and maybe mild depression, so could this be normal for grief? Has anyone went through anything like this? I'd really appreciate any help...
I think it's normal grief, but everyone has a different way of coping with it I guess. Try maybe talking to someone about it, whether a friend or professional, find something that makes you really enthusiastic again (what are you hobbies?), keep in touch with your close friends. Also, maybe do some sports, it always helps. I'm sorry for your loss. :frown:
Reply 2
[QUOTE='[Shadowplay];28775106']I think it's normal grief, but everyone has a different way of coping with it I guess. Try maybe talking to someone about it, whether a friend or professional, find something that makes you really enthusiastic again (what are you hobbies?), keep in touch with your close friends. Also, maybe do some sports, it always helps. I'm sorry for your loss. :frown:

Thanks for replying. I have talked to someone...but it doesn't really help overall, the only that solve it would be to have my friend back. The thing is though...I've been invited out(and I usually go) but don't really feel like doing anything this weekend...so I don't know if I should just go with how I'm feeling and stay home for one weekend or go out - I'm just not in the mood for putting on a smile, if you get what I mean. I'm joining a sports class, but it doesn't start until next month...suppose I could still do something. Thanks :smile:
Reply 3
If you still feel similar in a week or so, it might be worth going to the doctors and asking them. Grieving is always difficult, but the way that you seem to have just recently got a lot worse might be a sign that you have depression. At the very least, you might be referred for some sort of counselling to help you work out how to cope when you feel like this.
I guess you only really need to worry about it when it impacts majorly on your life.
But as I say, this could be a normal part of grieving (which doesn't make it any less difficult) or it could be something more.
Good luck, whatever you do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending