The Student Room Group

Is this unkind?

When I get on a bus I look, as you do, for two adjacent seats free. Failing that, I'm forced to pick someone to sit next to. Imagine I can see a seat that is beside the aisle and open to sit in, and another seat that is any of the following three:

1) Next to the window, and the person is asleep.
2) Next to the aisle, has bags on it, and the person is asleep.
3) Has bags on it.

I will wake the person up and/or make them move their bags (politely, of course) rather than take the open seat.

The way I see it, those people put their bags there and/or fell asleep to put people off of sitting next to them - they shouldn't get away with it, when other people are respectful with seats on a bus. By all means put your bags on the seat there are five people on the bus, but if it's a busy line, it's just not good.

Is this unkind of me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably, but I can see where you're coming from.
I dont think it's unkind, it really pisses me off when im on a train or something and it's packed with everyone standing and theres the ignorant few people who have taken two seats to themselves for their bag too. Grr. I put my bag on another seat, but if I see it's gonna be a full train or bus then I move it. Only exception is when ive got a big suitcase with me I put it on the seat next to me (too big to put on the shelves at the top and I dont trust the luggage areas they have).
Reply 3
You should slap them just to really get back at them.
Reply 4
No. People who put their bags on seats are dicks.
Reply 5
Not unkind at all.
Reply 6
I hate people who do this when there are free seats. Yes, we probably shouldn't put our bags on the seats but just leave us alone!
Reply 7
No, it's not unkind. I've asked people to move their bags before. Never woken a person up though.
Reply 8
Original post by Louise_x
No, it's not unkind. I've asked people to move their bags before. Never woken a person up though.

But have you asked them to rather than just sit in an open seat?
It's not unkind, it's just a bit .. erm, gay ?
Reply 10
Original post by TheSownRose

No, I would just take the empty seat. Why would you bother someone if you don't need to? It just makes you seem like you have a chip on your shoulder.
Reply 11
hell no, keep doing it!
Reply 12
Original post by sarahthegemini
It's not unkind, it's just a bit .. erm, gay ?

How do you mean?
Reply 13

Probably not, no. I usually just go for the easiest option.
It also depends on the person who the other free seat it next to... for example I'm much more likely to ask to sit next to a friendly looking person, rather than take a seat next to a chav who could stab me at any moment.
Reply 14
If there were empty seats available, I wouldn't wake someone up just so I could sit next to them. I see where you're coming from, but it does seem a bit pointless unless the bus is really busy.
How do you mean?

Unless I've read wrongly, you deliberately refuse to sit in an open seat so that you can force someone to move their bags :lolwut: It's a bit weird tbh.
Original post by Jingers
No. People who put their bags on seats are dicks.

I do it all the time. Why should I put it on a dirty floor?

Anyway, I drive.
why would you ask them if there are open seats? that seems kind of retarded seeing as you said yourself that you use seats to put your bags on you are a hypocrite. How do you know they wouldn't move their bags when all the open seats are taken?
Reply 18
My bag is heavy and huge, so I put it on the seat next to me, people never ask me to move it, they usually just sit on the edge of the seat and I've sometimes had people just sit on my bag!

I'd be pissed off if you asked me to move it, but I wouldn't say it's rude, just annoying. Especially when there are other free seats.
I hate when people sit on the outer seat on the bus when the seat by the window is free and they don't move in even when the bus gets really full :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending