The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Engineering Design Interview

I have one of these on the 1st of December :smile:

Could anyone who has taken one of these before tell me what kind of thing comes up in the interviews with both the academic and industrial partner!

Just looking for what I need to brush up on / anything I can prepare!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its just literally whatever you've written down on your personal statement.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
How is the interview with the industrial partner differ to that of the academic tutor? Or is it one interview with two interviewers?
Reply 3
Original post by OneInSolidarity
How is the interview with the industrial partner differ to that of the academic tutor? Or is it one interview with two interviewers?

I've still heard nothing from Bristol, not that I could have gone tomorrow anyway, I already have an Imperial Interview but its annoying. Maybe they send out the interview invites for the other day a later, I should probs email them.

Good luck tomorrow anyway!
Original post by hello dave
I've still heard nothing from Bristol, not that I could have gone tomorrow anyway, I already have an Imperial Interview but its annoying. Maybe they send out the interview invites for the other day a later, I should probs email them.

Good luck tomorrow anyway!

The test is quite hard, like Oxford's TSA apparently. You should do a past paper or two from them if you get an interview :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Hey guys,

I'm living in Ireland, and with the snow was worried I wouldn't get a reply as post isn't working. So emailed about the interviews on the 15th. The reply was with an invitation, and the programme co-ordinator said that she posted the others today. Good luck guys, you should know within like.. 2 days. :biggrin:

_Kar.
Reply 6
The test is quite hard, like Oxford's TSA apparently. You should do a past paper or two from them if you get an interview :smile:

Got an invite today. Where'd all the info you put about the day go :tongue: Did you realise I was competition? :wink:
Got an invite today. Where'd all the info you put about the day go :tongue: Did you realise I was competition? :wink:

Congratz :biggrin: And it was more because I realised that what I wrote was potentially going to more than one person :P!!

(The info is all on the Engineering Design site :wink: )
Reply 8
Congratz :biggrin: And it was more because I realised that what I wrote was potentially going to more than one person :P!!

(The info is all on the Engineering Design site :wink: )

haha, yeah I wouldn't tell anyone either.

Don't suppose you can tell me what time the day started/how long it was, because they want us to let them know if we're staying overnight and they gave us no information..
haha, yeah I wouldn't tell anyone either.

Don't suppose you can tell me what time the day started/how long it was, because they want us to let them know if we're staying overnight and they gave us no information..

It's worth staying overnight, the Bristol Youth Hostel nearby was very good considering it was £20. Met 6 fellow Eng Design applicants too, could be a head start on the teamwork challenge if you happen to stay with someone who you're put with!
The day was 9:45-4:00pm.
Reply 10
It's worth staying overnight, the Bristol Youth Hostel nearby was very good considering it was £20. Met 6 fellow Eng Design applicants too, could be a head start on the teamwork challenge if you happen to stay with someone who you're put with!
The day was 9:45-4:00pm.

Ah ok, thanks! I'm not too far away, but ill think about it.
Hope all your applications are going well. Have you been to a Bath open day yet?
Ah ok, thanks! I'm not too far away, but ill think about it.
Hope all your applications are going well. Have you been to a Bath open day yet?

Yeah I've been to the bath open day, Sports facilities were amazing :O
Will be my firm if Bristol don't offer.
Rejected by Oxford - Big surprise there :wink:!!
Reply 12
Yeah I've been to the bath open day, Sports facilities were amazing :O
Will be my firm if Bristol don't offer.
Rejected by Oxford - Big surprise there :wink:!!

They were weren't they! Sorry to hear about the rejection, see, I applied to Cambridge, which just means the rejection is delayed for longer because they interview nearly everyone. I honestly don't know which my first choice would be if I got 4 offers, I'm worried I will decide I want to do some other type of engineering instead of mechanical which I've applied for, so although Imperial is really good for it, its expensive but bath or warwick would let me change diciplines later...

And then there's bristol which is probably the best for a career prospects, it's all so hard to decide :s-smilie:

Anyway best of luck! I'm sure you'll get an offer from Bristol, a good proportion of people interviewed get offers.
They were weren't they! Sorry to hear about the rejection, see, I applied to Cambridge, which just means the rejection is delayed for longer because they interview nearly everyone. I honestly don't know which my first choice would be if I got 4 offers, I'm worried I will decide I want to do some other type of engineering instead of mechanical which I've applied for, so although Imperial is really good for it, its expensive but bath or warwick would let me change diciplines later...

And then there's bristol which is probably the best for a career prospects, it's all so hard to decide :s-smilie:

Anyway best of luck! I'm sure you'll get an offer from Bristol, a good proportion of people interviewed get offers.

I heard the admissions person saying she was expecting 200 applicants this year - they interview 80. They only have 20 places this year due to an error last year - all the places were given out before the last interview date. Apparently 60% of people who get offers take them up, so you would expect 32/80 people to get offers :smile:
5 People from each admissions day get offers, the runners up get placed on a 'waiting list' and the rest get rejections. I've been told to expect a response in 2-3 weeks :O

Also, when is the date of your interview?
Reply 14
I heard the admissions person saying she was expecting 200 applicants this year - they interview 80. They only have 20 places this year due to an error last year - all the places were given out before the last interview date. Apparently 60% of people who get offers take them up, so you would expect 32/80 people to get offers :smile:
5 People from each admissions day get offers, the runners up get placed on a 'waiting list' and the rest get rejections. I've been told to expect a response in 2-3 weeks :O

Also, when is the date of your interview?

:eek:
Mines on the 15th :smile:
:eek:
Mines on the 15th :smile:

Of December or Jan ;P?
Reply 16
Of December or Jan ;P?

December
December

ah I thought the one in December was on the 18th :smile:
Best of luck and I'll update you when I get my reply :P
Reply 18
Anyone else with an interview on the 15th going down the night before?
Reply 19
I did the interview day last year (I'm starting Eng Design in october!:biggrin:)

I have one of these on the 1st of December :smile:

Could anyone who has taken one of these before tell me what kind of thing comes up in the interviews with both the academic and industrial partner!

Just looking for what I need to brush up on / anything I can prepare!

Thanks

The interview was fairly straight forward really. From what I can remember, I was just asked about the stuff I put down in that extra form you get. I was asked what I'd do in certain situations (I had put down that I was high up in my school's cadet force so they asked me how I dealt with troublesome younger students and also how I would deal with a situation in which I was part of a team but one member was not pulling their weight). They then asked me a couple of questions that had a mechanics base and asked me to describe what was happening (one was a balloon in a bus that starts accelerating).

Overall, it was a good day so just enjoy it!

The question paper is supposed to be difficult so don't worry about it. I was talking to final year students and even they take it (obviously they do better though!).

EDIT: Just seen you've already done the day, how'd you find it?
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending