The Student Room Group

The Transition from A-Levels to Medical School...

Scroll to see replies

40% ?!

I just sat a formative where you got an interview to 'discuss your performance' if you got <75%

Tis not easy.
Original post by Miss.
Oh right, just chill, I was more than happy until I read your post :/

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware my comment was directed towards you..

What is it that upsets you?
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
40% ?!

I just sat a formative where you got an interview to 'discuss your performance' if you got <75%

Tis not easy.

Probably an easier exam then? In our first year anatomy exams you could average 70% without even trying, that said the full 100% still wasn't easy to get.
Original post by Lu-x
Whaaat? What med school is this? :eek:

I think it's probably mine.:redface:
Original post by Lu-x
Lol, I'd be ok if I knew when my OSCE is. We have our written paper on wed/thurs the 5th/6th jan, then OSCEs start on the fri. It's so unfair if you're on the fri and don't get the weekend to practice examinations. Also they won't tell us when our OSCE is until 1 week before the exam. So annoying!

With regards to ESA1, just know everything inside out. Particularly HADPOP, apparently lots of that came up last year. Obvious but read the questions properly and make sure you are answering it properly, people often fail because of poor exam technique. Also do you about the way they mark it? You have to get 6 or 7 out of 10 marks on each question to pass that whole question. Then you have to pass a certain number of questions to get a satisfactory/excellent, the boundaries of which are subject to slight change I think.

Ahh, right, yeah I've heard they just call you along to do your OSCE at a specific date...or is that the first year OSCE? I'm sure you'll do fine anyway!

Oh, and HaDPop is killing me. Went to a revision sessions with Dr Hsu yesterday and I've realised just how pathetic I am. I'll just have to cram over Christmas and pray for a satisfactory :biggrin:.
Original post by Fission_Mailed

We have to get a minimum of 60%/70% in I think 14/18 of our questions for our End of Semester exams to pass with a 'Satisfactory'.
:angry:
Original post by rainbowbex
Probably an easier exam then? In our first year anatomy exams you could average 70% without even trying, that said the full 100% still wasn't easy to get.

I wouldn't say it was easier, probably just another format :smile: After all, our unis will most likely differ on structure and content.
Reply 27
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware my comment was directed towards you..

What is it that upsets you?

Sorry.
You just spoilt it.
Sorry!
Reply 28

:angry::angry:

:hmmm:
Original post by Miss.
Sorry.
You just spoilt it.
Sorry!

spoilt what? I'm confused!
Reply 30
spoilt what? I'm confused!

Forget it... :wink:
Original post by Hippysnake
We have to get a minimum of 60%/70% in I think 14/18 of our questions for our End of Semester exams to pass with a 'Satisfactory'.
:angry:

Don't hate the player.
Don't hate the player.

...spose that's why you guys churn out **** doctors...

I kid....:tongue:
Original post by BeanofJelly
Second year has been much more work-intensive for me than first year. But that's probably just because I have become more neurotic and work-obsessed :p:

Your experience will probably vary massively depending on the medschool.

You may become neurotic and work-obsessed...

This is true. Everyone has just become so much more work-obsessed this year as opposed to last year. I mean I know my year gets the slack for being the uber geeky year, but second year has brought out the true nerd in everyone! :p: Its blates just going to get worse each year isn't it! :p:

Original post by TwilightKnight
From what I've heard, the actual volume of work is increased, but the spread of knowledge to take in is less.

Surely, this bit totally depends on the individual and how much effort they want to put in. Sure, if you want to just pass the exams, thats fine, but it really is down to the individual to want to do some extra reading around a subject (cliche as that sounds), and not just do the bare minimum or only learn what they've been taught.

But I do agree the sheer volume in first year is a huge step up from A Levels.

Second year is easier

Thats actually the first I've heard of that - most people say first year was generally easier than second year.

Sure at the time, first year was hard (for me it was), and tbh some bits we were taught last year still don't make perfect sense to me, but generally the fact that we have to remember first AND second year stuff for second year exams makes it a little more annoying in most cases!
Reply 34
Original post by Medicine Man
Its blates just going to get worse each year isn't it! :p:

:sadnod:
Original post by Gizmo!
most first years are a step down in difficulty from A lvl, and theres less to learn (bearing in mind that you only need to pass, not get three A grades..so you dont need to learn everything in 1st year med school, even though the syllabus might seem much larger than A lvl, the amount you need to learn is less than for getting 3-4 A grade A levels).

there are a few universities that seem to love making their first year difficult or seem difficult - best avoid them.

I think it must depend on your medschool, but I have to disagree from my own experience. In my year group a significant proportion of hard working students failed at least one exam in their first year - something that would have been unthinkable for them A-level.

I work much harder at medschool than I ever did at A-level. Including during the first year, in term and in revision periods.

Maybe I'm just a proper nerd :colondollar:
Original post by Hippysnake
...spose that's why you guys churn out **** doctors...

I kid....:tongue:

Spoiler

Original post by Medicine Man

Thats actually the first I've heard of that - most people say first year was generally easier than second year.

Sure at the time, first year was hard (for me it was), and tbh some bits we were taught last year still don't make perfect sense to me, but generally the fact that we have to remember first AND second year stuff for second year exams makes it a little more annoying in most cases!

at Bristol, First year is very solid science and a lot of it a little irrelevant. our exams were mostly in one week (6exams in 5days) and we had 200+ lectures of details we had to learn - like knowing gluconeogenisis with all the deets.

it was a bit ****.

this year (and third term last year - like starting yr2 at the end of yr1) is entirely systems based so picks up on some of the information we learnt last year, but not most of it - if that makes sense?

having it all related clinically makes it far more interesting, more interconnected and therefore easier to learn. (and overall, less material.)

it's awesome.
Original post by Lu-x
Whaaat? What med school is this? :eek:

Here at Soton the pass mark is 40-50%.
at Bristol, First year is very solid science and a lot of it a little irrelevant. our exams were mostly in one week (6exams in 5days) and we had 200+ lectures of details we had to learn - like knowing gluconeogenisis with all the deets.

it was a bit ****.

this year (and third term last year - like starting yr2 at the end of yr1) is entirely systems based so picks up on some of the information we learnt last year, but not most of it - if that makes sense?

having it all related clinically makes it far more interesting, more interconnected and therefore easier to learn. (and overall, less material.)

it's awesome.

That sounds very similar to our course (and I'm sure most others) - especially the bit about irrelevant science. :p: We also had to know the details of gluconeoenesis etc. (the irrelevant bit :p:) last year, as well as doing neuroanatomy, embryology and systems based material in first year.

This year is purely systems based too (with Human Sciences and Public Health added on at the end), but we still have to remember first year stuff as they can and do still examine us on it in second year. This makes second year in general (and especially the end of year exams) very very annoying. :colonhash:

I do agree having it related clinically (which has a much bigger emphasis in second year) does make it more interesting to learn, but there's no doubt its harder in second year - both content wise and the increase in difficulty in the style of questions asked. My ICA on Friday had very specific questions which I personally didn't find easier than first year exams.

Maybe it just a Barts thing. :p: I'm convinced it is now! :p: It was just quite interesting to know exactly why you found first year harder - Bristol is quite heavy on the science apparently though so that's probably it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending