The Student Room Group

NSPCC Campaign on facebook : to stop violence against children

Scroll to see replies

Fairly Odd Parents :biggrin:
Reply 101
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Gosh, how caring for you to go out of your way by clicking a few buttons and changing your profile picture.

What utter self-serving tosh.

If you have nothing positive to contribute, how about you keep garbage to yourself :smile:

How about you read the thread for starters to see what its actually about, rather than jump to an instant conclusion :facepalm:

Its the gesture that counts and people are still moaning about making a few clicks, imagine if this was about donations or voluntary work.
I have a snowy picture of the PowerPuff Girls :biggrin:

To the people asking how this helps, I'm guessing it's to raise awareness of the cause?
Original post by Cicerao
When was the last time 95% of people posting these pictures donated money? LOL.

And no, I haven't been "remembering" to donate because I do not donate to the NSPCC. Some kids trying to make themselves feel good about themselves isn't going to make me suddenly "remember" to do it.

I'm sorry, I'm obviously ruining the whole point of it for you (feeling good about yourself) but the fact is that it's a crock of ****.

:rolleyes:

If you see a tv advert from some charity, asking for donations etc. Does everybody who watches that ad donate? no... most people won't even bat an eyelid.
This is the same principle, in a way it is a viral online ad, to raise awareness
No one is forcing you to donate, so many people in this thread alone have donated, BECAUSE they saw this.
Donating to charities isn't on the top of people's minds, but you really do degrade the people our age that "do care"
Who are you, to say that people don't actually have the good will to donate, be it for this charity, or any other charity in general.
Just because you don't, other people don't have the same mindset and attitude as you....
Original post by un-besito
I'm currently Angelica the Rugrat :biggrin:

So am I! She was the BEST
It won't really do anything except show your support but if there is one thing that pisses me off more then it's people who are acting high and mighty because they are not doing it. Remember the one they did for breast cancer? That pissed me off so much but I didn't go on about it, I just let everyone get on with it and have their fun.

PS - I'm the Brave Little Toaster. Anyone remember that film?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 106
Original post by supernova92

If you see a tv advert from some charity, asking for donations etc. Does everybody who watches that ad donate? no... most people won't even bat an eyelid.
This is the same principle, in a way it is a viral online ad, to raise awareness
No one is forcing you to donate, so many people in this thread alone have donated, BECAUSE they saw this.
Donating to charities isn't on the top of people's minds, but you really do degrade the people our age that "do care"
Who are you, to say that people don't actually have the good will to donate, be it for this charity, or any other charity in general.
Just because you don't, other people don't have the same mindset and attitude as you....

I totally agree with you.

:yy:
Reply 107
My FB picture is of Hong Kong Phooey

http://www.pureimagination.co.uk/captaincaveman/Hongkongphooey/index.htm

In case no one remembers or knows who he was I have added a link
Original post by Guvnor
I totally agree with you.

:yy:

:smile:

It's really irritating, because if we strip it down to the bare minimum, it's simply an advertising tool for the charity.
However I think this is more efffective than a poster, because it gets you involved (allbeit by just changing your profile picture) as the message gets around quicker and it literally tartgets everyone (apart from old people as most aren't on facebook)
I'm Myotismon from Digimon :biggrin:
I went from a rather tasteful Hobbes, to a potential "How Calvin would look if someone was about to molest him" picture:

I'm just a big Calvin & Hobbes fanboy...
Reply 111
Mine is from the Moomins because they are the best.

It's just there to raise awareness and it says on the NSPCC Facebook page
NSPCC Facebook Page
A warm welcome to all our cartoon friends! We are incredibly grateful for your support to end cruelty to children in the
UK. Although the NSPCC did not originate the childhood cartoon Facebook
campaign, we welcome the attention it has brought to the work we do. If
you would like to find out more about how you can get involved,
please visit our website.

There you go, they like the attention, more people think about, more people might think about donating money and actually doing something.
I don't see the point. It's like that breast cancer one they had not so long ago when girls were writing where they like their handbags. I still didn't get how that would raise awareness.
Highly doubt it's going to make a jot of difference regarding child abuse.. but I was thinking about changing my profile picture anyway so I'm Arthur. Wanted to be Hey Arnold but someone beat me to it.
Reply 114
Original post by Sendaii
Tell that to the abused kids. Real action needs to be taken. Some Facebook campaign will do **** all.

I think it's designed to raise awareness and therefore money/ support, rather than just have people posting cartoon pics.
I posted a link to their donations page on my fb as well as changing my pic and a couple of friends have given money (or so they say). Might be worth doing that.
Reply 115
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES.

Reply 116

Who are you, to say that people don't actually have the good will to donate, be it for this charity, or any other charity in general. Just because you don't, other people don't have the same mindset and attitude as you....

Do you think the NSPCC would send out an advert saying, "this is against violence to children" WITHOUT mentioning the charity name? WITHOUT mentioning what they want (donations)? WITHOUT providing a telephone number or website to donate? No, because it would be pointless, which is why they don't do it.

Oh, I'm degrading people who changed their pictures, am I? Yeah, because it's all about them and how they feel. My point exactly. Thank you for proving it.
Original post by Cicerao
Do you think the NSPCC would send out an advert saying, "this is against violence to children" WITHOUT mentioning the charity name? WITHOUT mentioning what they want (donations)? WITHOUT providing a telephone number or website to donate? No, because it would be pointless, which is why they don't do it.

Oh, I'm degrading people who changed their pictures, am I? Yeah, because it's all about them and how they feel. My point exactly. Thank you for proving it.

Are you actually for real? I'm so embarassed for you... :lol:

The nspcc didn't send out the advert.... it's an online thing that is just raising awareness.
They don't necessarily want donations, however they are much appreciated and welcomed.
People aren't idiots, if they are made aware of something, and they want to help, it's really not hard to google the donation page... and i would like to add, MANY PEOPLE HAVE DONE SO (who would not have done, without seeing this thing on facebook)

NO.... :rolleyes: you're degrading people that CARE, people that donate, people that help. People that help other charities as well, not just for this cause. You're saying that people only help charities to make themselves look good.
Your point just oozes stupidity, i'm really not sure if your trollin', or if you really are just so ignorant
Why are you so against "every little bit" helping? blimey!

This campaign thing, will have inevitably, undoubtedly raised more money, than if it had not happened...
Reply 118
Original post by Cicerao
When was the last time 95% of people posting these pictures donated money? LOL.

And no, I haven't been "remembering" to donate because I do not donate to the NSPCC. Some kids trying to make themselves feel good about themselves isn't going to make me suddenly "remember" to do it.

I'm sorry, I'm obviously ruining the whole point of it for you (feeling good about yourself) but the fact is that it's a crock of ****.

Edit:
This.

like i said, a damnside more than were donating BEFORE people started putting up pictures, even if it's still not a huge number.
in fact, i think i will go ask my parents to donate some money right now. cheers, viral campaign, for reminding me of all the good causes out there.
and cheers, blind and obstinate cynics for reminding even more people by keeping the argument going.

edit:
this

Your point just oozes stupidity, i'm really not sure if your trollin', or if you really are just so ignorant
Why are you so against "every little bit" helping? blimey!

This campaign thing, will have inevitably, undoubtedly raised more money, than if it had not happened...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 119
Are you actually for real? I'm so embarassed for you... :lol:

That's nice, I don't care.

Original post by theths
in fact, i think i will go ask my parents to donate some money right now.

Posting to the whole world on TSR about how much you're doing for charity. But it's definitely NOT about making yourself feel good, right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending