The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Fincancial Support - Change of Circumstances

I have enrolled on a course with the Open University and applied for a fee waiver, as I am not working at the moment and am living at home with my two parents, upon whom I am dependant. I have sent away all the forms and relevant evidence and I phoned the Open Uni who said that they have received my application and that they will be processing it soon. However, I have recently found out that I have a job interview and, presuming I get the job, I intend to tell the Open Uni as this is obviously a change of circumstance. I am worried however if I will not then be eligible for the fee waiver, as I will not have enough money to pay my course fees unitl quite a while after the deadline for applying and registering for modules (which I was told on the phone was 22nd December).

Does anyone have any ideas? Perhaps I could make some sort of deal with the Open Uni, whereupon I would still get the fee waiver and then pay it back once I have been working for long enough to pay back my fees?

Thanks in advance.
From the OU's FAQ:

I receive financial assistance for my course and my financial situation has now improved. What should I do?

Your current financial support will not be affected as the award is made based on the evidence you provide at the time of application. However, any future application for financial support would take into account your new circumstances.

If you are resident outside the UK this might not apply, as eligibility for financial support depends on your location and other circumstances.

:smile:

Good luck with your job interview!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by lupinpooter
From the OU's FAQ:

:smile:

Good luck with your job interview!

What a star. Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 3
Iw ould have thought that as at the time you applied you didnt have the job it shouldnt matter. What if you get a job mid may for example, does it then mean you have to pay it?

http://www3.open.ac.uk/contact/faq.aspx?t=S&cat=1-33MLZ5&par=1-2IH24G

I receive financial assistance for my course and my financial situation has now improved. What should I do?

Your current financial support will not be affected as the award is made based on the evidence you provide at the time of application. However, any future application for financial support would take into account your new circumstances.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Any award given in the present is based on your circumstances for the last financial year. So money you receive now is based on your circumstances between April 2009 and April 2010, as that is the last complete financial year.

So for the application you've just put in, it doesn't matter what happens now. You could win Euro millions and still get the grant.

Next time you apply, in 2011, it will be based on your circumstances between April 2010 and April 2011, and any income from that period, eg. from this job you mght get or and Euro millions you won, will be taken into account *for that next application*.

So you don't need to do anything right now, just let your application go through.

Good luck, with the grand and the job!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending