The Student Room Group

Whats so wrong with Islam?

During my time on TSR all I have seen are paranoid and narrow minded comments about one religion in particular - Islam.

Why associate Islam and Muslims with everything bad? Most of you fear them and hate them. Me, being a Muslim, a British citizen and a university student have never experienced racism or hatred in real life (I think British people are generally not too bad i.e will leave you alone if you leave them alone) but on the internet its exactly the opposite.

I think this is because of the media and the fact that nobody cares to actually get to know some Muslim people (Muslim does not mean Asian you can be of any race and be a Muslim). Maybe if you actually knew some Muslims you would see they are just people like everybody else.

The anti-Islam brigade use arguments such as:

1) "Muslims would never allow a church to be built in their countries"

This is nonesense, churches exist in every single Muslim country except Saudi Arabia (thats only one out of so many countries), some majority Muslim countries have a high % of Christians such as Lebanon - 30%, Egypt - 10%, Nigeria - 48% e.t.c and mostly there is no tension between the Muslims and Christians

2) "Muslims are destroying our culture"

Normally when they say this they mean Muslims are practising their own cultures and religion. So what happened to democracy and free speech? Is it only used for selfish reasons?

3) "Muslims are terrorists"

Definition of terrorism: The calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear

Last I checked, Muslims were not going around instilling fear and using violence against people in order to achieve political goals. Sure, there are some people who are Muslims who do that, but using that definition the British army are also terrorists (calculated use of violence for political goals). Muslims (99% of them) just live normal lives.

Actually more than anything Muslims are just scapegoats (due to the media constantly blowing everything a Muslim individual does out of proportion to make it seem like it is common amongst Muslims) for the British (and American) governments to terrify the British population into accepting invasions of foriegn Muslim countries for resources. The first scapegoats were the Jews, and then Black people and now Muslims. So stop being a sheep and start thinking for yourself.

Peace.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
My arm is aching
Reply 3
Seriously there's no need for this thread.
Reply 4
Disgusting
Why would you bump after only 20 minutes?
Reply 6
What's wrong with Brussel Sprouts?

mmmmm
[for the sake of the mentally impaired I do not intend to cause controversy with this statement]
Original post by dnumberwang

Hahahahahaha
Reply 8
Really no need for this thread. People will believe what they believe. Nothing you say is going to change that. You quote so many statistics, but they mean nothing to the individual.
Reply 9
Original post by F i s

]

(edited 13 years ago)
Nothing with wrong with them, they are same as every human beings!!!
Reply 11
Original post by dnumberwang

Because of all the anti-Islam threads going on.
What a pointless thread :facepalm2:

Perhaps people who listen to the media hype will think this, but any intelligent person would not present these points. You make some poor generalisations. :sigh:
I agree with you completley OP.

The funny thing is, as you say, you have not experianced any hatred towards you in real life, but it's funny how these racist scum suddeny find a voice and opinion once there logged in behind their computers....

I feel that this country is going backwards, any progress we made to eradicating racism is rapidly being undone..

Most white males I speak to (im not muslim but im black) openly tell me how they think islam is evil, I've even spoken to some army lads (friends of mine) that have actaully laughed at the fact that muslim children have died...

yeah pretty shocking right?
I don't think you can get away with saying what the British army is doing is terrorism 'cause of the whole "against civilians" things in the definition. Still, I'd like to hear what people have to say about muslims...I, too, don't fully understand why a lot of people seem to prejudice them.
Don't try to justify your beliefs to the trolls. I don't care what 16 year old bottom feeders have to say.
perhaps because islam is a backwards religion in its very nature - its outdated approach to women cannot be defended
Reply 17
Original post by Luminality

Perhaps people who listen to the media hype will think this, but any intelligent person would not present these points. You make some poor generalisations. :sigh:

People kid themselves into thinking they don't buy into the hype but most do and it's complete rubbish if you still think that no does. Get real because chances are the average person that says "oh I'm not gonna believe this" has already been majorly influenced.
Original post by Luminality

The majority of this board makes generalisations about Islam and black people, yet if someone is trying to defend Islam they are attacked.

And lol at all the ignorant white people trying to undermine a thread just because it defends islam for a change, your basically the same as hitler, so get the **** outta MY country because we don't want bigots here....

a white friend once told me, "not every terrorist is a muslim, but every muslim is a terrorist" he then defended himself by claiming it was a 'joke'

well here's a 'joke' of my own : not every ignorant dumbass is white, but every white person is an ignorant dumbass

I suppose you guys will find it hilarious, and tell any white person in this thread that is offended to "get over it" as it's just banter....no?
Reply 19
The only thing wrong with islam is the assertion that it is the "true religion" sent down by god.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending