The Student Room Group

73% Of British Would be Unhappy If Britain Became A White Minority State

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1334271/Eight-want-tighter-controls-immigration---Lib-Dem-voters-want-cap.html

(Here's the poll in full)

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/excel/YouGov-Poll-Restricting-NonEC-Mig301110.xls

A YouGov/Migration watch poll has recently shown that 73% of British people conducted in their poll responded to being unhappy at the prospect of Britain becoming a white minority state by 2066.

The poll also showed that 81% of British support the immigration cap introduced by the conservatives.

Tbh I'm quite disgusted at this poll. Regardless of what you say about YouGov or Migration Watch it shows that there are clearly a lot of people do not like this. Britain has about 11-12% of ethnic minorities as it's population not to mention and I'm pretty most of those didn't respond to being unhappy. Which doesn't say much about everyone else in the poll.

It's clear that white Britain is still quite racist. This is supposed to be good thing for the country for christ sake!
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sure The Japanese, Chinese, Nigerians, Arabs, Koreans, and Hispanics would also be unhappy if they became the minority race in their countries.

It's not racist. It's how the human race works.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Why are you disgusted? At the end of the day no one wants to be a minority in what they precieve as their home country. Look at some of the threads on here how some people find it hard at uni because they are the only asian of whatever.

It has nothing to do with racism at all
Reply 3
I don't really see anything wrong with this, as a foreigner in Britain myself.
Original post by Sharpshooter
Tbh I'm quite disgusted at this poll. Regardless of what you say about YouGov or Migration Watch it shows that there are clearly a lot of people do not like this. Britain has about 11-12% of ethnic minorities as it's population not to mention and I'm pretty most of those didn't respond to being unhappy. Which doesn't say much about everyone else in the poll.

It's clear that white Britain is still quite racist. This is supposed to be good thing for the country for christ sake!

Sorry, but how can you blame people for being anti-immigration after the issues it has caused in the past decade? You're deluded if you expect public opinion to be against some sort of immigration cap.

And, it's only natural that people would dislike the notion of their race becoming a minority. Do you honestly believe the people of Nigeria or Pakistan would vote in favour of becoming a minority to white people?

I personally don't have that much of a problem with the ethnic make-up of Britain, so long as that's all it is - skin colour. If this increase in ethnic minorities comes with religious and cultural segregation and conflict, then I am wholly against it.

In summary, you're happy to throw around the 'racist' card without considering the underlying factors in this situation. Your comments are inane and ignorant.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Aj12
Why are you disgusted? At the end of the day no one wants to be a minority in what they precieve as their home country. Look at some of the threads on here how some people find it hard at uni because they are the only asian of whatever.

It has nothing to do with racism at all

One question:

What about Emiratis?
Unhappy about what? I don't care what statistics tell me, it isn't ever going to happen.
Reply 7
**** off with your political correct bull ****
Reply 8
Original post by effofex
One question:

What about Emiratis?

You mean the UAE?
Nothing wrong with that. I would probably be more than unhappy if my country became a black minority state :dontknow:
Reply 10
To those who say it's racist: I wonder how many Arabs/Asians/Africans would be unhappy if they became a minority race in their own country.
Original post by effofex
One question:

What about Emiratis?

difference being, emiratis command respect, they let everyone know it's their country, they don't need numbers
Original post by effofex
One question:

What about Emiratis?

Emiratis are extremely xenophobic. Anyone who has ever been to the UAE can attest to that.
Reply 13
Original post by rylit91
To those who say it's racist: I wonder how many Arabs/Asians/Africans would be unhappy if they became a minority race in their own country.

What about Emiratis? They are a minority in their own country - and by the looks of things, they don't seem to be throwing up too much of a fuss at all!
Reply 14
Original post by Aj12
You mean the UAE?

Yes.
Actually, 73% of the people who answered the poll would be unhappy.
Reply 16
It's only natural that they would feel unhappy, though it's puzzling that this question was even posed given it's frankly improbable nature.
Reply 17
Original post by effofex
Yes.

Considering the population is a meer 8 million its a pretty poor example, compared to a country like the UK of 61 million that has been white for the last few thousand years.
Reply 18
Original post by maghreblover
Nothing wrong with that. I would probably be more than unhappy if my country became a black minority state :dontknow:

Surely it would depend how it happened? Obviously if it was through genocide this would be bad, but what about through migrations and interbreeding?

Also, there are very many different kinds of 'black' people, just like there are very many different kinds of 'white' people? Would you not be particularly bothered then, if a different ethnic group that still came under the 'black' label became the majority ethnic group in your country whilst the previously dominant ethnic group became a minority?

Is it about ethnicity, or racial grouping?
Reply 19
If it did become a white minority state, surely the percentage of unhappy people would therefore drop under 50% (unless some non-whites are unhappy with being in the majority?).

Latest

Trending

Trending