The Student Room Group

NSPCC Facebook Campaign: Load of Bull.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
but I do look pretty cool with my I R Baboon profile picture. :sexface:
Reply 21
and also, everyone is now either changing their picture or complaining about it but either way people are being reminded about the NSPCC, no doubt some people will have donated as a result of this 'campaign'.
I'm with the OP on this. Yes, changing your DP probably made you think of the cause etc. But a large %age of the UK population are most likely already aware of NSPCC.

The NSPCC is past the stage of awareness. What it now needs is the necessary (and much required) monetary contributions to continue the work it does, the work that makes a real difference.

I underwent an NSPCC training course (provided for free (via the charity) to those working with young children), a course which taught me so much in identifying abuse and supporting victims of abuse; it's more than common sense. Unfortunately, these things cost lots money, and in times of austerity, many people aren't able to give, but those that can, and don't, are simply unforgivable.
Reply 23
Original post by DesignFreak
i just wanted to take the opportunity to have Spyro The Dragon as my profile picture.

SPYRO! I used to love that cute little purple bugger :biggrin: I have all the playstation games... so sad I know!

to OP - if you don't agree with the campaign, simples, don't change your facebook profile picture. I think it is a clever idea, as it will encourage more people to donate (myself included)

Original post by `R92
How many people would be thinking about that charity without this campaign?

Not many. Seems like most people are more interested in the cartoons they've picked than the actual charity.

I see the charity name rarely mentioned in this 'campaign'.
Original post by Mally-xo
SPYRO! I used to love that cute little purple bugger :biggrin: I have all the playstation games... so sad I know!

Same! i still play them sometimes.
i even named my lizard after him,
amazing addition to my childhood!
Reply 26
People may already be aware of the NSPCC but maybe the point is to remind/make people think about the NSPCC, I'll certainly stop and think before abusing another child
I posted mine before I even knew it was for the NSPCC - I assumed that it was a bit of harmless fun.
I felt the same, but it felt pretty miserable being the only one without a cartoon profile pic. Also I share my name with a Disney character, so I had to really :tongue:
Reply 29
I dislike it for similar reasons to why I disliked this.
Reply 30
Love how a few people have replaced their profile photo with herbert from family guy - oh the irony :rofl:
Im doing both.

Suck on that OP
It might be doing nothing but it's a very good excuse to have Simba from the Lion King on my display picture.
I think you're all a bunch of cynical ********

yeh the majority of people are doing it because they're bleeding sheep.... but surely even if one person donates something because of this campaign, that they wouldn't have normally, that's good? I myself donated a tenner (admittedly short of funds atm)

joyless t*****s

:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
If I gave £4 a month, would I have the right to throw a similar rant in your direction, OP?
I think the campaign is a nice idea tbh. Think about it this way: you suddenly see a whole load of your Facebook friends changing the profile pics to cartoons. You wonder why, and then someone tells you. You think, how cute, and change your own picture. You're also reminded of this charity that you may not have been thinking about recently, and you are maybe prompted to then actually go do something for it, such as volunteering or donating.

Like someone said, any publicity is better than no publicity. and heck, even if this campaign turns out it doesn't have a big effect for the charity, well, at least people are still just having a bit of harmless Facebook fun. I see no harm in it at all.
Reply 36
I don't see what harm it can do. Also, I seized the opportunity to remind people of the awesomeness that was Courage the Cowardly Dog.
Reply 37
It's funny that nothing to do with this 'campaign' is on the NSPCC website.. :rolleyes:
I too also donate and i get what your saying about how little only changing a display picture will do but i did i myself for one reason only.

How many people in the world use facebook? A hell of a lot im sure, so my guess is that amongst all those people there must be a child, or an adult even that has gone through some sort of abuse and takes some sort of.....i don’t know (cant really speak for them) reassurance i guess in seeing this. That people still support the message the nspcc are sending out.

May just be me but thats how i see it
I wondered why my facebook friends were all randomly making pedo bear their profile pics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending