The Student Room Group

NSPCC Facebook Campaign: Load of Bull.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
From a utilitarian viewpoint this 'campaign' may be seen as a good thing, but I think it propels the apathy in a lot of people who go around with a sense of pseudo-moral ascendancy; IMO this is more harmful in the long run.
Reply 41
I don't live in the UK, if it's UK based. I've never heard of NSPCC before this campaign. I don't see any wrong in changing my profile picture. Doesn't mean I don't care, I do.
I donate to the NSPCC monthly as well.

But I'm also quite enjoying the opportunity to change my facebook profile to the Cheshire cat without looking odd :biggrin:
Reply 43
I don't really care about children. I just enjoy being Jafar on f/b.
lol i had more than an hour debate about this with my mate :tongue:
Original post by Tommyjw
I'm sorry for actually donating real money rather than thinking im awesome by having a cartoon as my picture =]

I highly doubt anyone who has changed their picture is under the impression they are awesome.

I think many understand that the reason behind it is to raise awareness of child abuse. Whether these people act upon this awareness is a different matter entirely and is probably what you are annoyed about.
Reply 46
Agreed. my status as the moment is "Can't help but think that the NSPCC, although flattered that everyone has changed their profile picture, would much rather just be given some money..."
I know but it's a bit of fun and completely harmless, and it'll all die down in a day or two.
I personally think it's a bit silly to get worked up about it!
Reply 48
Has this been posted yet? http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2002/feb/19/childprotection.comment I don't agree that it should be shut down (unless an alternative charity is created) but I think they're too flawed to really change. Are there any other similar charities that aren't as poorly run?
I'm annoyed too. I've been using a picture of Oscar the Grouch as my display picture for ages, now all therse people are making me look bad.
Reply 50
I think it's bull, don't get me wrong. I think that the NSPCC will gain very little for their cause due to this little fad. But it's a good excuse to have Sonic the Hedgehog as my profile picture for a couple of days so whatever, I've joined in anyway.
Reply 51
Original post by `R92
How many people would be thinking about that charity without this campaign?

How many peope are now thinking about the charity because of the campaign?

Are you implying this isn't going to help the charity AT ALL? considering the thousands of people who are involved?

It surely must help, and therefore it's worth doing, so why are you randomly ranting?

You have made a good point here :smile: I agree!
Original post by Tommyjw
I know there is another thread, but they all people telling you what cartoon they changed it too and how pretty it looks and how they jumped on the bandwagon of all of their friends and dont care one bit just want a cartoon as their picture.

Raise awareness?
Every person I know without fail knows what the NSPCC is.. this is especially true for all my same-aged friends on facebook.
So, not we get off that they dont need to raise awareness, because maybe 95%+ of people on facebook will already know who they are.

I have a regular donation of £2 a month, not a lot, i am a poor stupid ya know :rolleyes:. But what have you guys done, changed a picture? well done. im proud.

Show some real support and donate money, something that could actually help.

It just annoyed me all these people copying and pasting the same status and changing their picture like doing that makes them all high and mighty because they just helped someone.

Rant over =]

It's the same for every single charity campaign there is, like it or not the only way people will actually give money or be aware of any charity or any campaign is through showing profile pictures or other stuff like wearing a red ribbon to raise awareness for AIDS.

So yeah, if you want to get your message through, don't talk about boring facts, do something original like this.

In my case, I'm skint and quit my job. If that's going to make the least bit of difference might as well join in.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 53
I'm just doing it for fun.
Just like how people put pokemon as their profile pic.
I had the same picture in my profile for over a year. I finally got a decent pic of me yesterday, and changed it. There is no way I am changing it now.
People take the interwebs too seriously.

I donate money and I changed my profile picture.

Get over it, seriously. Stop acting high and mighty because you donate but you DIDN'T change your picture.

I cannot believe it annoyed you so much you started a thread about it.
Original post by Chimaira
It's funny that nothing to do with this 'campaign' is on the NSPCC website.. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be so quick to be skeptical about this - when I worked with Oxfam as a campaigner (intern only, nothing fancy) they would encourage me to start campaigns on social networking that were totally unrelated to the official website. To get featured on the website, a lot of the larger charities have lots of hoops you have to jump through, so to get an intern to start a fad without permission and perhaps making out it was generated by a random supporter is easier. :wink:

Original post by scherzi
From a utilitarian viewpoint this 'campaign' may be seen as a good thing, but I think it propels the apathy in a lot of people who go around with a sense of pseudo-moral ascendancy; IMO this is more harmful in the long run.

You say that but I think we're better off in terms of apathy than had no one who uses Facebook been reminded of this campaign. Again from a utilitarian viewpoint, yes thousands of people might be mildly satisfied that they only had to change their profile pic, but lots of people will be propelled to do a little more like donate or just raise awareness by chatting about it to their friends, I think. Look, we're talking about the charity here, that's just one example of awareness raising. :smile:

Anyway, this rant is common - we call this sort of 'campaign' slacktivism. Here are some really good articles about it:

Pro-'slacktivism': http://www.care2.com/causes/trailblazers/blog/slacktivism-why-snopes-got-it-wrong-about-internet-petitions/

Pro-'slacktivism': http://lindaraftree.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/activism-vs-slacktivism-its-about-context-not-tools/

Anti-'slacktivism': http://www.thecommentfactory.com/purple-day-is-slacktivism-not-solidarity-3774/
Reply 57
Original post by Tommyjw
I know there is another thread, but they all people telling you what cartoon they changed it too and how pretty it looks and how they jumped on the bandwagon of all of their friends and dont care one bit just want a cartoon as their picture.

Raise awareness?
Every person I know without fail knows what the NSPCC is.. this is especially true for all my same-aged friends on facebook.
So, not we get off that they dont need to raise awareness, because maybe 95%+ of people on facebook will already know who they are.

I have a regular donation of £2 a month, not a lot, i am a poor stupid ya know :rolleyes:. But what have you guys done, changed a picture? well done. im proud.

Show some real support and donate money, something that could actually help.

It just annoyed me all these people copying and pasting the same status and changing their picture like doing that makes them all high and mighty because they just helped someone.

Rant over =]

Okay;

Worst scenario: People change their pictures, awareness is raised which furthers the NSPCC's cause.

Best Scenario: People see the campaign, give money, join in.

To my eyes, it's a win-win situation. I don't understand the backlash, because the campaign isn't doing anything detrimental to the NSPCC at all.

(by the by, I participated in the campaign AND gave £5).
Reply 58
i think it's an awesome idea

facebook looks so much better now without all the ugly peoples faces :h:
Reply 59
Original post by -WhySoSerious?
Gah, totally feel the same. Now i'm getting a load of stick from people on facebook...

That's a cool avatar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending