The Student Room Group

Oh no. I can't afford to shop at Harrods...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tyrannosaurus Cal
PLEASE tell me you're joking. "Lose everything"? Did you see that she has three places to live?

Not being able to afford to buy your spoilt little kid an iPad for Christmas is not poverty.

Yeah having three houses is more than a lot of people have.

But losing a large chunk of your income, WHATEVER that usually is, can't be pleasant. I saw somewhere that it said someone was planning on spending only £50 on their child at Christmas. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but if you and your family are used to a lot more, it's going to come as a bit of a shock.
I don't think an article has ever pissed me off more. What a complete ****ing joke.
Reply 22
Original post by .Ali.
I actually feel sorry for them. :frown: Yes, you lot might laugh, but it would be horrible to lose everything. I'd hate it if that happened to me. :frown:

"Another mum, with three grown-up children, told me that five years ago she would go to H&M as a matter of course for cheap and quirky clothes, but now she finds herself baulking at the prices" See this? That's really upsetting. :frown:

Lost everything? Her income might have dropped, but she still earns £500 a week, which is a hell of a lot more than many people and they still manage to get by. Are you really being serious?
Reply 23
Now she knows how the other half live!!.Sorry to say that I dont feel any sympathy for her, there are people a lot worse off than her and we dont get our story printed in the Daily Mail.I bet she got a few quid for writing that article anyway.
Reply 24
"We were singing along to carols in the car and when it came to the last verse of In The Bleak Mid-winter I made her listen to the bit that involves the poor man with nothing to give other than his heart."

How ironic is this?

"I used to buy ribbons from VV Rouleaux now their price of £50 for velvet and silk ribbons seems truly shocking. Obscene, even."

Just :eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Sendaii
Lost everything? Her income might have dropped, but she still earns £500 a week, which is a hell of a lot more than many people and they still manage to get by. Are you really being serious?

But she lives in London, living expenses are higher there.

Yes, but if you lose a substantial amount of income, whatever your income may be, it will not be nice. :frown:
Reply 26
Original post by .Ali.
Yeah having three houses is more than a lot of people have.

But losing a large chunk of your income, WHATEVER that usually is, can't be pleasant. I saw somewhere that it said someone was planning on spending only £50 on their child at Christmas. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but if you and your family are used to a lot more, it's going to come as a bit of a shock.

She can swap with me, I haven't had more than £50 spent on me at Christmas since I was 10. XD
So, far from perusing the aisles of Harrods, I found myself checking out the bargains at Poundland.
I discovered excellent deals like giant Toblerones for under £1

Errr...
Reply 28
Original post by Cicerao
You just stumbled across the article?

Face it, you read the Daily Mail.

Hell no! I saw it on Twitter! I wouldn't waste my download allowance trawling through that drivel...
(edited 13 years ago)
[QUOTE='[sophie];28778277']I don't read the Daily Fail, but I came across this article, which just makes me go :eek:.
I'm not sure whether it's serious, but I think it must be.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1335550/Merry-Christmas-Along-millions-middle-class-families-I-afford-says-CHARLOTTE-METCALF.html

Discuss.

EDIT: Neg rep? :confused:

And why wouldn't she be serious?? How could you think it could be a joke?
This can't be from the Daily Mail, she didn't once blame the asylum seekers.
Reply 31
Original post by .Ali.
But she lives in London, living expenses are higher there.

Yes, but if you lose a substantial amount of income, whatever your income may be, it will not be nice. :frown:

They are, but £500 per week is still enough if you are careful with money, i.e. not spending a small fortune at Harrods, and £50 on ribbons. She is overreacting. Why doesn't she sell one of her three houses if she is struggling so much?
Silly women, shouldn't of borrowed so much.
:facepalm: reality has hit hard.
Reply 34
Original post by mariashafira
And why wouldn't she be serious?? How could you think it could be a joke?

I thought that posting such an article would be a bit ridiculous when so many people have much more important financial problems than being unable to buy salmon from Harrods at Christmas.
Reply 35
Original post by Sendaii
They are, but £500 per week is still enough if you are careful with money, i.e. not spending a small fortune at Harrods, and £50 on ribbons. She is overreacting. Why doesn't she sell one of her three houses if she is struggling so much?

Well that would be an option, but with market prices so low, I don't blame her for hanging on to them until the economy picks up.
Reply 36
She needs some sense slapped into her. Stupid cow.
Only £500 a week? Oh no, what a tragedy. No one could possible survive on that. :rolleyes:
Reply 38
Original post by WelshBluebird
Only £500 a week? Oh no, what a tragedy. No one could possible survive on that. :rolleyes:

Is that her household income or just hers? I couldn't tell from the article.
Reply 39
Original post by .Ali.
Is that her household income or just hers? I couldn't tell from the article.

I *think* its just hers, but still £500 a week is still a good income.Yes I know she used to earn £1200 a week, anyway it doesnt mention her husbands income anywhere.I wonder how much he earns a week?.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending