The Student Room Group

How do you become a Head teacher in a secondary School?

I was just wondering what type of qualifications or experience you need to become a head teacher. I have often found that most head teachers are quite old and have never come across a young head teacher. :smile:
Reply 1
My primary school headteacher was young, probably about 34. That said she was crap and burst into tears every other day.
Original post by nealam
I was just wondering what type of qualifications or experience you need to become a head teacher. I have often found that most head teachers are quite old and have never come across a young head teacher. :smile:

You have to teach for a few years, and then you can.
You most probably need to work your way up - head of a year/department/key stage and be a part of the senior management team before doing a masters designed for training headteachers, as well as going on training courses
Reply 4
You give head to the janitor.

And work your way up.
masters if not a doctorate often in -service, experience in managing in education e.g. subject / faculty management role or pastoral management role ....
All the head teachers i have met do not have a masters or doctorate. you just work your way up the ladder, teacher to slowly taking on more responsibility - you go up quicker working on the pastoral route - assistant head of year - head of year - head of upper/lower school, assistant deputy head, duputy head, head
I never claimed the way i stated was the only way, that is the route that is taken in my school as explained to me last week by my deputy head.
Original post by caroline_p3
I never claimed the way i stated was the only way, that is the route that is taken in my school as explained to me last week by my deputy head.

It is an increasingly unusual route to Headship as many schools have passed all pastoral work to support staff to save £££ since the introduction of the Workload Agreement.
Reply 9
Lots of very weird information given on this thread. OP, you may either teach and work your way up (and teaching in a challenging school at the very beginning of your career is the best way to do that as there's less competition each time a position with a bit more responsibility becomes vacant) or you may do whatever you want, but ideally something that involves management as well as being involved in education on the side (such as being a school governor). That will allow you to apply for Tomorrow's Heads, which doesn't require you to be a teacher or have any sort of position within a school, but you need a strong application as you'll be in competition with people who've spent a lot of time in schools, such as teachers, heads of department, etc.
If you're thinking of becoming a teacher and then a headteacher, I'd recommend looking into Future Leaders in which you'll be trained to lead challenging schools. It reminds me a lot of Teach First in that respect, for people with even more ambition.
Original post by Mr M
It is an increasingly unusual route to Headship as many schools have passed all pastoral work to support staff to save £££ since the introduction of the Workload Agreement.

I have never been in a school were heads of year positions are taken by support staff!!
I have never been in a school were heads of year positions are taken by support staff!!

Possibly not but it is very early in your career.

yeah they can and do...it is the case in my school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending