The Student Room Group

Why would a guy text me, asking me questions then not reply to my reply?

One of my guy friends from back home often texts me asking question starting a conversation, i reply straight away and then he doesn't reply for ages, if at all.

We have both made it clear we like eachother, but we talked about it and decided we didn't want a LDR and so we havent got into a relationship. Due to this ive been avoiding FB chat and haven't texted him as i felt i needed some space to get over him.

Yet again he's done it where he's texted me being chatty making conversation, i replied straight away and he hasn't replied. I replied 4 and a half hours ago and he hasn't replied. It reaally really annoys me when he does this, as i just don't understand why you'd text someone making conversation... then not keep up the conversation.

Can anyone shed any light on this??

I've been wondering whether, today, he's done it to remind me that he's there, or to see if i've been pissed off with him&that has been why i haven't been contacting him or to see if i was going to apologise for the lack of contact due to some excuse when i replied to his text. They were my lines of thinking...
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

He might have lost his phone.
maybe your answers to his questions were so **** he turned his phone off in disgust
Just wants to check that you are still there waiting on tenterhooks for one of his texts. When he has a positive reply then there's no need to carry on spending money on more texts, he probably didn't want a conversation in the first place.
Perhaps he very quickly needed answers to an exam.
His sim was stolen by mole people.
Original post by dnumberwang
He might have lost his phone.

If it was a one off, maybe. But its often. And to lose his phone in the space of 10mins would've been very unlikely anyways

Original post by TheRealDarthVader
Perhaps he very quickly needed answers to an exam.

No he wasnt asking Qs for an exam
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Just wants to check that you are still there waiting on tenterhooks for one of his texts. When he has a positive reply then there's no need to carry on spending money on more texts, he probably didn't want a conversation in the first place.

This.

Plenty of guys like to play this game in my experience.
Reply 8
that's just how we roll it's a bit of a game really. keeps you on the edge of your seat

So what would be a negative reply? He's been my friend for 5years, and i know he's bad at texting everyone back. Which i understand, if i text him first but when its him texing me first, and i reply straight away then i am confused/ annoyed.
no credit

This.

That's how the players play the game.
Original post by rugbyladosc
no credit

Nah, its too often he does it. And he does usually reply, just takes him ages. But if he's busy why text me starting a conversation in the first place.
Original post by GirlsJstWanaHavFun
Nah, its too often he does it. And he does usually reply, just takes him ages. But if he's busy why text me starting a conversation in the first place.

dno u tried asking him?
Original post by LoveBites
Try not texting him back immediately, if at all...if he really does want to know he'll persevere, if not at least you'll show him you're not just waiting for him to contact you all the time!

Well thing is he knows me well enough to know that i ALWAYS have my phone on me, and i'm ****-hot at texting everyone back. I don't 'hang around for his texts' and he knows that, I just always have my phone on me.
Reply 15

This. Have to say, I'm guilty of doing this and I'm a girl :colondollar:
Like me, he probably texts, leaves his phone and goes off to do something else and then realises "Oh, I left my phone upstairs. *checks phone* 6 messages. Oh." Rather guilty of doing this on occasion. :L Always feel so guilty when I take ages to reply.
Reply 17
One of my guy friends from back home often texts me asking question starting a conversation, i reply straight away and then he doesn't reply for ages, if at all.

We have both made it clear we like eachother, but we talked about it and decided we didn't want a LDR and so we havent got into a relationship. Due to this ive been avoiding FB chat and haven't texted him as i felt i needed some space to get over him.

Yet again he's done it where he's texted me being chatty making conversation, i replied straight away and he hasn't replied. I replied 4 and a half hours ago and he hasn't replied. It reaally really annoys me when he does this, as i just don't understand why you'd text someone making conversation... then not keep up the conversation.

Can anyone shed any light on this??

I've been wondering whether, today, he's done it to remind me that he's there, or to see if i've been pissed off with him&that has been why i haven't been contacting him or to see if i was going to apologise for the lack of contact due to some excuse when i replied to his text. They were my lines of thinking...

well for me I always think i've sent a text when I actually haven't, then I check my phone a few hours later and I see the message in the draft box....
Well thing is he knows me well enough to know that i ALWAYS have my phone on me, and i'm ****-hot at texting everyone back. I don't 'hang around for his texts' and he knows that, I just always have my phone on me.

Well I think that's actually quite good advice you just got. People who text back within 2 minutes every time can get quite annoying. Perhaps chill out a bit, and wait a while between replies...like half an hour or so? Don't come across so....eager. It gets boring for guys (and girls, for that matter) if they don't have something to chase. I always have my phone on me but that doesn't mean I reply instantly to everybody all the time. I have a life as well.
Do the same thing back. If you're going to give into his game-playing, you may as well join in.