The Student Room Group

Quick Normal Distribution Question [+rep]

Hi,

I've got normal distribution, mean=1, variance=16 and trying to find P(X>-1.04). I've looked up what it should be by using online normal distribution calculators but keep getting the wrong answers. Can anyone help? +rep for help :smile:

Thank you!
Have you double checked you're using the right table?
Sounds daft, but a lot of the time when I got it wrong it's because the table was for values above instead of below etc.
Also - are you just using the variance value? Standard deviation is the square root of variance.
Reply 2
Original post by sweetfloss
Have you double checked you're using the right table?
Sounds daft, but a lot of the time when I got it wrong it's because the table was for values above instead of below etc.
Also - are you just using the variance value? Standard deviation is the square root of variance.

Thanks, I've been manipulating it to suit the particular table I'm using, and I am using the sd rather than the variance. Since you're 4th year maths, do I need to standardise before applying rules of symmetry or can I manipulate first and then standardise? My impression is it doesn't make a difference but I was only taught it 24 hours ago..
Original post by GingerApple
Thanks, I've been manipulating it to suit the particular table I'm using, and I am using the sd rather than the variance. Since you're 4th year maths, do I need to standardise before applying rules of symmetry or can I manipulate first and then standardise? My impression is it doesn't make a difference but I was only taught it 24 hours ago..

Shouldn't matter.
Reply 4
Original post by sweetfloss
Shouldn't matter.

If you say P(x>-1.04)=1-P(x<-1.04)=P(x<1.04)=P(z<0.01) or P(x>-1.04)=P(z>-0.51)=1-P(z<-0.51)=P(z<0.51) it does make a difference, doesn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest